One Pocket lessons in Chicago or St. Louis? Grady ever get to Chicago or St. Louis?

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Does anyone know where I can find someone to teach me WINNING one pocket in Chicago? Grady do you ever get to Chicago? I want serious lessons
from someone who knows what they are doing without robbing me. I already know how to lose. Have only been playing a very short time and against players who aren't that good at one pocket and don't know what they are doing. I live in Chicago, but go to St Louis a few times a year to see the folks and would travel for good lessons. (that's lessons, not money games where I don't stand a chance)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
DWS said:
Does anyone know where I can find someone to teach me WINNING one pocket in Chicago? )

Doesn't Bert Kinister teach in the Chicago area? He strikes me as a guy who would make a good teacher-- lots of knowledge. I believe his rates are very affordable.

Doc

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Come down to Columbia, South Carolina. My rates are posted on my website (www.gradymathews.com) as well as my phone number where we can set something up. I'm also willing to do some lessons while in Louisville at the DCC if we can work around my schedule.

1pocket1ab

One pocket lessons

One pocket lessons

Bert Kinister lives in Park Forest, Illinois and says his favorite game is 1pkt. I believe his rate is still $40.00 per hour at his house. He may have went up in price.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
I might be up your way in late March or mid April, if that would be a convenient time. My wife is in the process of setting up a travel schedule for me for that time period. I'll be doing some exhibitions, clinics, lessons, etc.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Did you all forget about me?

Did you all forget about me?

My name is Fred Bentivegna. My nickname is freddy the beard. The fact that nobody recommended me for 1pkt lessons in Chicago is insulting. Not that I would even give them! Nobody on earth moved better than me and a select few moved as good. I am the guy who taught Efren Reyes 1pkt. Myself and Bill Incardona while Efren was staying in Chicago when he first hit the USA. I sometimes narrate sessions for Accu-Stats. Watch a tape and listen carefully to my comments. You will improve a ball just doing that.
The people that were recommended, except for Grady, wouldnt play me 1 pkt with a gun to their head.

Last edited:

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Freddy's post is correct, BUT .......

Freddy's post is correct, BUT .......

Freddy's post is correct, BUT -

As you stated - "The fact that nobody recommended me for 1pkt lessons in Chicago is insulting. Not that I would even give them"!

Freddy - Why would someone recommend you for lessons, knowing you don't give them?

I am constantly asked for lessons & or tips to better playing. I also refuse - BUT - I always offer to play cheap 9-Ball or One Pocket (when things are slow) with a spot that will allow me to win if I play my AVERAGE game.
I feel this is the BEST way to help someone with his or her game.
It is the way I learned over 40 years ago.
As the novice progresses, he either starts winning or breaking even with me and all this time he is beating the players of his caliber who used to beat him.
There is NO BETTER TEACHER THAN COMPETITION!
I have had many players ask me why this works so well.
It's really easy to understand - If they can learn to "Fire Back At Me & become competitive", How easy will it be to play with their regular peers?

UNLESS YOU ARE A QUALIFIED TEACHER OF POOL (Like Mark Wilson), the idea of giving lessons is not that helpful to Player or Student, IMO.

FYI - To people who think Freddy was just blowing his own horn.
YOUR WRONG!
Freddy played as good of One Pocket as ever played in Chicago. He also had one of the BEST Action Poolrooms I have ever been in. You had to "Bring Your Lunch" if you were going to try to get his cash at One Pocket. But if you did beat him, You won well and played a gentleman.

TY & GL

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Hey Freddie, good to see you on the board. I really enjoy your commentary on accu-stats matches and was wondering if you write any kind of column or have any books,tapes,etc... did oldhasbeen take you too seriously or what?

You seem to know a lot of history as well as the subtleties of one pocket and I would be interested if you came out with an instructional work or a bio of old time players.

For example, I just watched the Jarvis/Mathews one pocket tape where Grady is wondering if he can shoot through a frozen ball and you mention that you have a whole series of shots with frozen balls. Your conversation with Incardona on the Varner/Mathews Detroit challenge match was also interesting... 5k a game one pocket in the 60's on adjoining tables is ridiculous.

Maybe we can get you a column on this site like they have for pros at AZbilliards.com.

Two questions:
If you did give lessons, approximately how much would you charge?

How much trouble are you going to give Bill I. for getting hammered by Cliff Joyner getting 10-5?

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Oops!!!!

Oops!!!!

fred bentivegna said:
My name is Fred Bentivegna. My nickname is freddy the beard. The fact that nobody recommended me for 1pkt lessons in Chicago is insulting. Not that I would even give them! Nobody on earth moved better than me and a select few moved as good. I am the guy who taught Efren Reyes 1pkt. Myself and Bill Incardona while Efren was staying in Chicago when he first hit the USA. I sometimes narrate sessions for Accu-Stats. Watch a tape and listen carefully to my comments. You will improve a ball just doing that.
The people that were recommended, except for Grady, wouldnt play me 1 pkt with a gun to their head.
My bad, Freddy. And, you have allways been the favorite to beat, Abruzzo, LOL. The truth is, Freddy, I for some reason had thought you didn't live in Chicago any more. When, Artie, moved to Vegas I had heard you moved out there shortly afterwards. Again, my bad.

People, if you could twist, Freddy's arm hard enough, you couldn't have a better one pocket instructor.

I think you will admit though, Freddy, Abruzzo is a class guy.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Buy My Book

Buy My Book

BUD GREEN said:
Hey Freddie, good to see you on the board. I really enjoy your commentary on accu-stats matches and was wondering if you write any kind of column or have any books,tapes,etc... did oldhasbeen take you too seriously or what?

You seem to know a lot of history as well as the subtleties of one pocket and I would be interested if you came out with an instructional work or a bio of old time players.

For example, I just watched the Jarvis/Mathews one pocket tape where Grady is wondering if he can shoot through a frozen ball and you mention that you have a whole series of shots with frozen balls. Your conversation with Incardona on the Varner/Mathews Detroit challenge match was also interesting... 5k a game one pocket in the 60's on adjoining tables is ridiculous.

Maybe we can get you a column on this site like they have for pros at AZbilliards.com.

Two questions:
If you did give lessons, approximately how much would you charge?

How much trouble are you going to give Bill I. for getting hammered by Cliff Joyner getting 10-5?

To Bud Green,
tx for the compliments. I have a 200plus page Bank Pool instruction book coming out at the Vegas Trade show in April. It will be called "Banking with the Beard." I am releasing all the secrets. As for lessons, I have a table in my basement but I have had some bad experiences giving lessons. If I accept a student the price ranges from free to expensive. However, only serious committed people qualify. I wouldnt take 1000 an hour from someone who didnt have a fanatical attitude. Kill time with someone else.
the beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yes Abruzzo was a gd player and a class guy

Yes Abruzzo was a gd player and a class guy

hemicudas said:
My bad, Freddy. And, you have allways been the favorite to beat, Abruzzo, LOL. The truth is, Freddy, I for some reason had thought you didn't live in Chicago any more. When, Artie, moved to Vegas I had heard you moved out there shortly afterwards. Again, my bad.

People, if you could twist, Freddy's arm hard enough, you couldn't have a better one pocket instructor.

I think you will admit though, Freddy, Abruzzo is a class guy.

The fact about Abruzzo is he never really liked pool much. With all his talent he could have been a really great player, rather than a real gd player. He had everything one would need to be tops. Attitude, talent, heart etc. He would much rather bet horses than play pool. Even so, he was extremely hard to beat, as many road players found out.
Freddy the beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
To Bud Green,
tx for the compliments. I have a 200plus page Bank Pool instruction book coming out at the Vegas Trade show in April. It will be called "Banking with the Beard." I am releasing all the secrets. ...<snip>
Freddy gave me a little preview of his banking book, and guys, this is going to be a must have item -- even the very best player will pick up something, and for the rest of us, we should pick up A LOT -- it is by far the best thing on banking I've ever seen.

Plus, Freddy has sprinkled in quite a few of his trademark very entertaining tales from his inside view among the legends of the game.

For those of you that missed the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner, you missed him in fine form, as he took the podium and had us splitting our sides :)