One and stop

OldSchool

Verified Member
What is one and stop equivalent to in ball spotting? Or is it apples and oranges?

Too general of a question. Depends on what the level is of the player giving the spot, and what the level is of the player he's giving the spot to.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Too general of a question. Depends on what the level is of the player giving the spot, and what the level is of the player he's giving the spot to.
An adept player (who can beat guys like John Schmidt on occasion) who usually has the edge giving 10/6 to a certain player who runs balls good. If he plays the certain player one and stop, who has the edge? Like I say, might be apples and oranges.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
one and stop is a great way to stop a ball runner and give a mover a chance so hard to say. if the person giving one and stop is the better ball runner is more of a disadvantage but if they are the better mover it kinda equalizes

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
An adept player (who can beat guys like John Schmidt on occasion) who usually has the edge giving 10/6 to a certain player who runs balls good. If he plays the certain player one and stop, who has the edge? Like I say, might be apples and oranges.

Hi Don, too-long-time-no-see. In the past I've also pondered and discussed how 1, 2, or 3 and stop or safe spots match up with balls-given spots - it's interesting to compare them, and kinda hard to accurately correlate/handicap them....that said...in the above example that you ask about, imo, I think the guy getting the spot might have the best of it...

For an example: Oscar Dominguez could maybe give me 10-6 for an even game...and if that was correct, I would most definitely like the game if he instead played me 1 and stop.

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Hi Don, too-long-time-no-see. In the past I've also pondered and discussed how 1, 2, or 3 and stop or safe spots match up with balls-given spots - it's interesting to compare them, and kinda hard to accurately correlate/handicap them....that said...in the above example that you ask about, imo, I think the guy getting the spot might have the best of it...

For an example: Oscar Dominguez should probably give me 10-6 for an even game...and if that is correct, I would most definitely like the game, if he instead, played me 1 and stop.
Thanks, Ghostie

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What is one and stop equivalent to in ball spotting? Or is it apples and oranges?

For an example: Oscar Dominguez could maybe give me 10-6 for an even game...and if that was correct, I would most definitely like the game if he instead played me 1 and stop.
i think its important to differentiate 1 and stop vs 1 and safe
1 and stop is after the player makes a ball....... its his opponents shot
1 and safe after the player makes a ball they can play safe
thats how i understand it
obviously 1 and safe is easier for the better player

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
i think its important to differentiate 1 and stop vs 1 and safe
1 and stop is after the player makes a ball....... its his opponents shot
1 and safe after the player makes a ball they can play safe
thats how i understand it
obviously 1 and safe is easier for the better player
Interesting. Never seen it played where you can't safe after you pot a ball.

Reactions: lll

baby huey

Verified Member
Just as a point of interest; One and stop is not the same as one and safe. You are in a trap no matter how well you play if you agree to one and stop. You'd have to be something like 12/4 the better player to overcome that handicap. If you are able to move the balls up table then one and stop could work. Imagine the guy puts a ball in from of his hole and you got a long straight in? You can't shoot at your hole.