once again scott and efren

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
J.R.,
If you read Frank's post then you'll realize that OneRock's selection is actually Frank's, of which I was going to commend. My shot was to bank the 11 to my side and put the cb on the foot rail, but by pocketing it in the side that actually is an upgrade over my selection. For it ties up the 6, and with the cb on the foot rail then any shot going into the spotted 11/ 6 from there favors Scott, IMO. Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well scott decided to go for the win
instead of playing the score
we think the pros are heroes when they make them like efren did in the prior wwyd
but this one didnt turn out so well for scott
he missed
and efren ran out
here is the shot and how he left it for efren
bob can you do your virtual pool thing and guestimate the cut angle
my questions about the difficulty of efrens back cut and percent make was because i knew i would post this wwyd next
2 situations with tough cuts with different results
efren scott wwyd4 shot.pngefren scott wwyd4 result.png

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
thats why I didnt want to bank the 7 carom off the 10 because look where the 7 ends up. It would have left an easy cross corner for Efren had he missed (albeit this is even worse how it ended up for him)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
what about banking the 6 ball 2 rails long back at your hole and slide the CB over to the side rail behind the 7/10 as blockers?

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
After looking at the layout of the table and then reading the various shot selections, the one I agree with at this point is "OneRock's." It ties up the 6-ball on the spot and the 7-ball/10-ball will block any straight back shot on the 2-ball. It's the first step to protecting the lead and grinding out the game by sending balls down table.

Please give credit to Frank who suggested this before I did. I just noticed it as soon as Larry mentioned it.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
bob can you do your virtual pool thing and guestimate the cut angle
Not needed. The 6 is on the spot, so if the cue ball was straight up the table it would be a 45-degree cut and a quarter-ball hit (for those who think in fractions). The cue ball is about 12 degrees to the right of center, so 45+12 is 57 degrees. For those who do fractions, that's 5/32nds full. And before you laugh too hard, I know someone who goes down to 64ths and he knows what angle in degrees each 64th is. Too much math for me. He was a CPA.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I dunno, Whitey - these guys have been known to match up and gamble - race to 7 could be correct. Scott might not be shooting for match point. Ask Larry where he got this example.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
After looking at the layout of the table and then reading the various shot selections, the one I agree with at this point is "OneRock's." It ties up the 6-ball on the spot and the 7-ball/10-ball will block any straight back shot on the 2-ball. It's the first step to protecting the lead and grinding out the game by sending balls down table.
That also was my choice on post #14

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I dunno, Whitey - these guys have been known to match up and gamble - race to 7 could be correct. Scott might not be shooting for match point. Ask Larry where he got this example.
Vapos, look at the score board, lower left, it states; "race to 7".
I do not know how you feel about how this would effect the shot selection, and I am not sure how it would effect me either, with the shot right there to go ahead 3-0 on Efren. And of course playing Efren that just might be the last shot you get a look at.
Tough call !!!! Whitey

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Just for the record just because Scott missed the 6 ball doesn't mean it wasn't the correct shot here. You can't be result oriented in determining the correct shot. I would bet if the same shot came up later in their match either player would shoot the 6.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
That also was my choice on post #14

I don't know how I missed quoting your post. :unsure: Sorry about that. I suppose that many times I'm multi-tasking and sometimes I forget to focus on the multitude of posts. At times I'm in mid post of what I'm writing and don't get back to the post for an hour.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i would have banked the 9 up near my side and used the combo to hide it.

moving the 6 opens the banking lane for the 13 and forces him to go down to the short rail center table and leave and 6 open to play off of.
does that leave a bank on the 10?
the lower ball of the 2 balls around the spot