Official sign up list for 2024 MOT at Railyard Billiards, Louisville, KY

Fanatic

Verified Member
Great event and super cool people. Terrific playing to Robert, Lou and JR! Sandra and Dave, good times. Cincy Kid, Chicagio Mike, Andy, Steve, John, Ben (who beat me again), Ken, Anthony (from CA), Justin all cool people. Dustin, until we do it again my friend. Jay
You were so fun Jay you really made this trip so much better with your funny sense of humor and those one liners lol…wish you didn’t just bolt out of there I would have liked to say bye 😔
Also thanks for making sure I wasn’t kidnapped by those strangers, that was really sweet for you to care. It was
Nice meeting you and I hope to see you sooner rather than later
XOXO
Sandy

Chandler1968

Verified Member
From
Saint Louis
You were so fun Jay you really made this trip so much better with your funny sense of humor and those one liners lol…wish you didn’t just bolt out of there I would have liked to say bye 😔
Also thanks for making sure I wasn’t kidnapped by those strangers, that was really sweet for you to care. It was
Nice meeting you and I hope to see you sooner rather than later
XOXO
Sandy
Thanks for hanging out and I am impressed by your 1P game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
More photos have been added to my gallery of photos from this MOT. The gallery is here:

I didn't take as many photos as I normally do because I was in the booth most of the last two days.

Liz Taylor
_DSC5301.jpg

Mark Mariani
_DSC5247.jpg

Ken Lee
_DSC5264.jpg

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Great photos as usual, Steve. I just went through your photo book and am embarrassed to say there were several faces I do recognize. Did they all play in the MOT? Would you be able to to label them? Thanks.
Sorry but Crabb would be better than me at that. Some might have just been locals banging balls even lol. Getting my photographer eye warmed up for the main event lol

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Can someone explain as to why the Diamond tables at this MOT 2-1/4 play so different than the table used in Tony vs. Billy challenge match.
JJ stated The table was a Pro Am 4-1/8 pockets. They look and play more like 4-1/2 pockets.

But how can the MOT TV table play so lively around the pocket, and the pockets will not except anything less than a cleanly pocketed ball, and the challenge match plays like a regular Diamond table, in which the pockets readily except the balls.

thanks, I'd really like to know,!
Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Can someone explain as to why the Diamond tables at this MOT 2-1/4 play so different than the table used in Tony vs. Billy challenge match.
JJ stated The table was a Pro Am 4-1/8 pockets. They look and play more like 4-1/2 pockets.

But how can the MOT TV table play so lively around the pocket, and the pockets will not except anything less than a cleanly pocketed ball, and the challenge match plays like a regular Diamond table, in which the pockets readily except the balls.

Whitey
MOT Warn in cloth, humidity and the cloth and balls were not cleaned regularly it seemed.

The table Tony and Billy are playing on has a brand new crown (rails) from the diamond factory installed just a couple days ago. New cloth and the humidity hasn't set in yet from the big easy. I don't know about the ball condition, but Ray talked about the new crown because that room had larger pockets. If they play in 6 months...oi.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
MOT Warn in cloth, humidity and the cloth and balls were not cleaned regularly it seemed.

The table Tony and Billy are playing on has a brand new crown (rails) from the diamond factory installed just a couple days ago. New cloth and the humidity hasn't set in yet from the big easy. I don't know about the ball condition, but Ray talked about the new crown because that room had larger pockets. If they play in 6 months...oi.
Humidity can make balls sticky, and an indication of humidity affects are balls turning over, I did not see any balls turn over. The pool hall would have to have a dehumidifier otherwise the players would be sweating profusely.

I've never seen a Diamond table 9 ft. table pockets that did not readily accept balls. Hard to believe humidity, worn in cloth, and so forth would cause the pocket play to be so lively. Just touching the rail going into the pocket, and the pocket did not accept it.

Let's forget about the table Tony and Billy are playing on, although that to me is how Diamonds play even with small pockets, and just compare the MOT TV with any other Diamond table we have seen pros playing on. As I say; "I never seen a Diamond table reject balls like that MOT TV table". Has anyone?

The only Diamond rails I have ever seen act that way were the Red Label rails they used on their 7 ft. tables back in the day. If you let the ob just touch the rail by the pocket it would not go.
They were extremely fast and lively, but they reversed the balls coming off of the rail so bad that it was impossible to kick and get a hit, and impossible to make a bank, even single rail banks.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If the tables at the MOT had a different set up, then that would nice to know. For me, those pockets play like pockets should.
If in fact it was just humidity, then that is amazing. Hard to accept but if that is what humidity does I guess I can accept that.

Larry posts, and plays in the humidity of Florida, so Larry does the humidity cause a Diamond table that are known to readily accept balls, change to be so lively that unless cleanly pocketed it just absolutely rejects the balls. Thanks!
Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Humidity can make balls sticky, and an indication of humidity affects are balls turning over, I did not see any balls turn over. The pool hall would have to have a dehumidifier otherwise the players would be sweating profusely.

I've never seen a Diamond table 9 ft. table pockets that did not readily accept balls. Hard to believe humidity, worn in cloth, and so forth would cause the pocket play to be so lively. Just touching the rail going into the pocket, and the pocket did not accept it.

Let's forget about the table Tony and Billy are playing on, although that to me is how Diamonds play even with small pockets, and just compare the MOT TV with any other Diamond table we have seen pros playing on. As I say; "I never seen a Diamond table reject balls like that MOT TV table". Has anyone?

The only Diamond rails I have ever seen act that way were the Red Label rails they used on their 7 ft. tables back in the day. If you let the ob just touch the rail by the pocket it would not go.
They were extremely fast and lively, but they reversed the balls coming off of the rail so bad that it was impossible to kick and get a hit, and impossible to make a bank, even single rail banks.
Whitey
The balls did play sticky, but that was not the only reason that I tried to note. You asked, I tried to answer the best I could, sorry if it's not what you were looking for.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Whitey

Talking to several of the players I will offer these casual observations and thoughts: some of us thought there might be something up with whatever product was used to clean the balls; personally, I noted that on the TV table the cloth had a relatively rough texture; and, I also thought there might be some variation as to the speed of some of the rails -- in particular the end rail because, for me, it seemed to take very little energy for a ball to come off the end rail to make it to your pocket.

The TV table did indeed require a very precise hit. My personal opinion is that it's the cloth (see above).

Lou Figueroa

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Has anyone seen a Diamond table play with this lively of pockets, anywhere, any time, humidity of not?
I never seen any Diamond table come even close to this lively of pocket play. I, like all of you have watched a tremendous amount of pros playing on tight pockets, and all of them accepted the balls readily.

Dave, at the end of my previous post, I stated; "hard to accept but if that is what humidity does I guess I can accept that".
So I am not totally discounting your opinion.

But, I am looking for others to state that humidity will make what would other wise would turn a pocket that readily accepts balls into the toughest playing Diamond pockets I have ever seen.

or,

are these tables set up different? I am thinking this could be, but if humidity, cloth, balls not cleaned could do it, I can, but hard, can accept that!

If the balls turned over, nobody is stating this, so I do not think it happened. When balls are turning over then you have to apply a certain stroke and / or English to avoid this. You have to stay away from certain strokes if the balls turn over, or you will miss the pocket by two inches. Indication of sticky, humid conditions, and possibly but not likely balls not cleaned.

Thanks Newkirk for the like!
Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Has anyone seen a Diamond table play with this lively of pockets, anywhere, any time, humidity of not?
I never seen any Diamond table come even close to this lively of pocket play. I, like all of you have watched a tremendous amount of pros playing on tight pockets, and all of them accepted the balls readily.

Dave, at the end of my previous post, I stated; "hard to accept but if that is what humidity does I guess I can accept that".

But, I am looking for others to state that humidity will make what would other wise would turn a pocket that readily accepts balls into the toughest playing Diamond pockets I have ever seen.

or,

are these tables set up different? I am thinking this could be, but if humidity, cloth, balls not cleaned could do it, I can, but hard, can accept that!

If the balls turned over, nobody is stating this, so I do not think it happened. When balls are turning over then you have to apply a certain stroke and / or English to avoid this. You have to stay away from certain strokes if the balls turn over, or you will miss the pocket by two inches. Indication of sticky, humid conditions, and possibly but not likely balls not cleaned.

Whitey
I cannot speak definitively about this, but I can attest that there was one particular table at Buffalo's (not the TV/action table) that was a Diamond blue label (I'm pretty sure about that) with a little tighter pockets than the other Diamonds, and with worn cloth, and in a humid environment, and it played so tough one year at least, they did not even use it for the tournament, even though in that main Buff's location they actually only had about 8-10 9' tables, along with one 10' table. So that particular year, we happened to get lucky and be on that table when the matches were called, and lo and behold they did not assign that table, so some of us stayed on it all day. That checks all those boxes -- tight Diamond with worn cloth and humid conditions -- and yes it was super tough!

Maybe others remember that table that year. The cloth was more worn than at Railyard.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

or,

Whitey

The newer Diamonds, with the blue oval labels, all play this way at the DCC.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The newer Diamonds, with the blue oval labels, all play this way at the DCC.

Lou Figueroa
No wonder the tournaments all failed to finish on schedule!! We were lucky regarding schedule for two reasons I noticed -- Ben having to leave early meant one late match for Saturday night did not need to get played, and your final match didn't turn into a hill-hill dog fight.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve and Lou,
So you are saying these tables at the MOT may have had Blue Label rails on them. For me, that would explain it. Maybe that is why the Z bank that Robert played with force made a complete about face coming off of the 2nd rail.
The Pro Am and Professional Diamond tables come with Artemis cushions. As far as I know any other rails used would be a special set up.
Black Label are used on 7 & 8 footers, but in reading some posts there are those that have used them on the 9 footers.
thanks, Whitey