New Cloth at Hard Times Bellflower!!

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
When I left the pool room last night Ernesto had 4 beautiful tables completed and hoped to have the rest of the tournament room done for the Sat one pocket tourney or at least by Sunday's 9 ball tourney. And he is going to do the 6 x 12.

The new cloth is gorgeous! Thank you Eddie and Ernesto!

See you there today!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Frank, next time I am down there, I'd like us to head on over to Hard Times. I wonder if that 6x12 is the same one that was at the Palace. I played Ernesto when we were young, I about 18 and he was 16 and a child protégé, of course. See ya! Whitey

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Different 6 x 12 than at Billiard Palace Bellflower

Different 6 x 12 than at Billiard Palace Bellflower

When the palace closed, Bob Morgan bought the 6 x 12 and opened a small room south of present day Hard Times. Then Underdog bought it and eventually it was moved to Hard Times. But around 2003 or so it got to rolling off too much and they tried to fix it but messed up the slate. So they bought another one. So the one at Hard Times now is exactly the same, but not the actual table you played on.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
When the palace closed, Bob Morgan bought the 6 x 12 and opened a small room south of present day Hard Times. Then Underdog bought it and eventually it was moved to Hard Times. But around 2003 or so it got to rolling off too much and they tried to fix it but messed up the slate. So they bought another one. So the one at Hard Times now is exactly the same, but not the actual table you played on.

I went to the place your talking about when Underdog owned it, '96. It was late at night and only Underdog was there, and then came in Tony Banks, neither one remember playing me back in the early 70's. Frank just told me that Underdog passed away not to long ago.
Thanks, for the response! Whitey

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
As luck would have it. I drew Carla for my first match and had a good time playing her. She is such a joy to play against.

The new cloth was to my liking as I went through the field undefeated. I can honestly say the I didn't back into this one as I played many good players, including an unknown road player. I think my game is coming around. Feels good to be able to make a couple of balls in a row.

beatle

Verified Member
gee frank you start playing like you did forty years ago then you will become a beast again.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
As luck would have it. I drew Carla for my first match and had a good time playing her. She is such a joy to play against.

The new cloth was to my liking as I went through the field undefeated. I can honestly say the I didn't back into this one as I played many good players, including an unknown road player. I think my game is coming around. Feels good to be able to make a couple of balls in a row.

Congratulations. Good to see you getting your game back.

I just got home from the Hard Times monthly up here and did the same thing with 28 players. Robert Aldana and I split in the end with me getting more $ because I won the hot seat.

The old guys are back.:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Good to hear you’re feeling and playing better

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Congratulations, my man!! Glad to hear that your game is back. Since you and Henderson keep improving, just think how good y'all will be at 90!..:)

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Nobody loved that 6 x 12 more than Morgan. He actually retired from his job driving an Arco gas truck to buy the tables and open the room down the street. Morgan, Tweedy, Jimmy Van and I spent many hours playing golf on that table with him.

I was helping a friend that owned a car lot across the street and was in there daily for a while. Lots of action in that little room and ‘Big Bertha’ was what kept it going. Fond memories, RIP JIM Morgan.

keoneyo

Verified Member

Congrats Frank! There were some good players in that field. I think that road player is from Philly. Mitch might know him. Adam or Andy S. A real good player. So happy you are back.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nobody loved that 6 x 12 more than Morgan. He actually retired from his job driving an Arco gas truck to buy the tables and open the room down the street. Morgan, Tweedy, Jimmy Van and I spent many hours playing golf on that table with him.

I was helping a friend that owned a car lot across the street and was in there daily for a while. Lots of action in that little room and ‘Big Bertha’ was what kept it going. Fond memories, RIP JIM Morgan.

Hendy, was Morgan one and the same person as Texaco? How about Heart-a-Tack Jack was he still around. Boy he was quite a golf player. One of the last times I talked with Ronnie, Tweedy Pie came up and it was not a happy story by Ronnie, I hope he ended up ok, for he was one likeable guy. I only knew him to play Pay Pool not golf, but that was early 70's on Palace's 5x10. Boy that was the best Pay Pool Table, and what action in early 70's. thanks, Whitey

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hendy, was Morgan one and the same person as Texaco? How about Heart-a-Tack Jack was he still around. Boy he was quite a golf player. One of the last times I talked with Ronnie, Tweedy Pie came up and it was not a happy story by Ronnie, I hope he ended up ok, for he was one likeable guy. I only knew him to play Pay Pool not golf, but that was early 70's on Palace's 5x10. Boy that was the best Pay Pool Table, and what action in early 70's. thanks, Whitey

The Texaco guy was Jim (Forget his last name), he played a bit but under the top players. Tweedy would play golf or liability snooker depending on the game that was going on. Heart Attack Jack was still around and played decent golf, but stayed out of the bigger games and would stake some of the road players like Grady or New York Blackie in the ring liability snooker games. Jack was a Darby’s Ranger during the war and quite a guy with lots of stories. He showed us his pearl handled 45 which was common for them to carry.

Grady robbed the ring games and the only time we beat him he blew less than a hundred bucks and was busted. I was pissed since he had won quite a bit of money in the game and wondered where it went. Jack told me he headed to the poker room and blew it when he won. I would not play with him for a while after that. I told him I did not mind playing with champions, but did not like giving them odds on the money.

I met Tweedy in the early 60’s at Beaver’s pool room on Tweedy Blvd in Southgate. We called him Sailor then because he was still in the Navy. I don’t know if he is still around but after his wife died I know he moved out to the Hemet area. Verne Peterson also retired out there.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Frank, hearing your voice is a treat and I'm happy that you are playing again and playing well.

Dr. Bill