MEMORIES

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This popped up on my Facebook page today. Seven years ago they had the first Super Seniors at Bogies. Pictured with me are Frank ‘The Barber’ Almanza on the left, and Byron Cook on the right. I emailed this to John, the manager at Bogies, about a week before the tournament.

Today I am going to play in my first one pocket tournament in over 3 1/2 years. Covid and cancer have slowed me up a little, but the road back starts today.

Attachments

• C79CC5BA-3783-4C8D-9998-892FBC9C256B.jpeg
    C79CC5BA-3783-4C8D-9998-892FBC9C256B.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well, I won one, lost two and had a great time. I still have a decent stroke, but my body is all over the place, and I have trouble pocketing balls. My vision has deteriorated some and I have new glasses coming, so that might help some.

I think once I get new glasses and feel comfortable with my stance, I might give these guys a little trouble.

Thanks for the support. John

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well, I won one, lost two and had a great time. I still have a decent stroke, but my body is all over the place, and I have trouble pocketing balls. My vision has deteriorated some and I have new glasses coming, so that might help some.

I think once I get new glasses and feel comfortable with my stance, I might give these guys a little trouble.

At least most of them have a chance with you for a little while.

It’s funny how much you realize you need to get your hand-eye coordination back and how physical it seems at first. It wears you down in the beginning.

Have fun John.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Round two was yesterday at Hard Times Sunday tournament. Played a little better and lasted longer. Lost to two of the best players in the tournament. Scared one of them but dogged it off.

New glasses coming in a week or so, and I may get a little froggy and bet something and go off in a month or so if I keep improving.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Round two was yesterday at Hard Times Sunday tournament. Played a little better and lasted longer. Lost to two of the best players in the tournament. Scared one of them but dogged it off.

New glasses coming in a week or so, and I may get a little froggy and bet something and go off in a month or so if I keep improving.
You got scared and beat yourself? 😉

Who was the other best player?

You John…are like a Timex. 👍🏻

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have played in a couple more Sunday tournaments with some improvement, but I know I need to hit more balls, and I mainly have to work on my stamina and build up my legs. I got rid of my Honda Insight that was killing my back to get in and out of, and bought a cherry 1997 Toyota Tacoma that is much easier on the back. I also have an all terrain rollerator coming next week, that I can take anywhere.

California Billiards is having an added money one pocket tournament the week before Xmas, and I may take a shot at that, or at least help with some commentary.

Attachments

• 341C6A08-E822-438B-A7FC-CDB18C400E99.jpeg
    341C6A08-E822-438B-A7FC-CDB18C400E99.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 8032D62C-7B3C-4F5E-B00C-2AB6D62B5BE8.jpeg
    8032D62C-7B3C-4F5E-B00C-2AB6D62B5BE8.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 7

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I have played in a couple more Sunday tournaments with some improvement, but I know I need to hit more balls, and I mainly have to work on my stamina and build up my legs. I got rid of my Honda Insight that was killing my back to get in and out of, and bought a cherry 1997 Toyota Tacoma that is much easier on the back. I also have an all terrain rollerator coming next week, that I can take anywhere.

California Billiards is having an added money one pocket tournament the week before Xmas, and I may take a shot at that, or at least help with some commentary.
Hey John, You're a pocket billiards warrior if there ever was one! My first meeting with you was a Saturday group golf game at the Covina Bowl about 1983. My buddy Steve Kolari and I had stopped by. Quite a cast of characters in that game but all decent men. In the LA-Orange County area there are very few good rooms to play and even fewer 6x12 snooker tables.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hey John, You're a pocket billiards warrior if there ever was one! My first meeting with you was a Saturday group golf game at the Covina Bowl about 1983. My buddy Steve Kolari and I had stopped by. Quite a cast of characters in that game but all decent men. In the LA-Orange County area there are very few good rooms to play and even fewer 6x12 snooker tables.

That game went on for years, and you are right, there were some characters. Most of the bowling alleys in those days had pool rooms in them that usually had a daytime golf game. I heard it’s pretty rough down there now, and not a lot of rooms to play in. I know there is Danny K’s in Orange County and a couple around LA. I can’t travel much anymore and feel lucky to have Hard Times, CA Billiards and Jointed Cue fairly close.

slim123

You will be fine once back in the rythum all those things you mentioned are excuse. focus overides everything and once you are back in the groove the vision body english etc won't matter. Have fun my friend, make it your excape or outlet

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
That game went on for years, and you are right, there were some characters. Most of the bowling alleys in those days had pool rooms in them that usually had a daytime golf game. I heard it’s pretty rough down there now, and not a lot of rooms to play in. I know there is Danny K’s in Orange County and a couple around LA. I can’t travel much anymore and feel lucky to have Hard Times, CA Billiards and Jointed Cue fairly close.
True Johnny about all the bowling alleys and the golf games. One game at Montery Park bowl had a game that started at 11am and went till closing at 2 am. You and I have been friends since about 1960 and have played in all those places.
In the game at Montery Park one of the players (Pat the bookie) would put a dime bag of bennies into to the ash tray that was built into the wall. Once the players dipped into the tray they were hooked to play until closing time. Easy money it was.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If you need a backer I just came in to a large sum of money, my rich uncle died and left me 463 dollars , WE can play cheap at first or shoot the whole wad on one game , win or lose , you da man.

• Haha
Reactions: lll