John Henderson passes away...

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
This is what I wrote tonight to honor the passing of my friend early this morning...

The year was 1980. It was a gorgeous day in southern California but we were on the hunt for action. We walked into Bellflower Billiards & the place was empty. No houseman – nobody. We turned around to leave…and then we heard the click of the balls.

Following the sound, we found a private room. We stuck our heads in the door & heard, “NOBODY’S BARRED!!!”

Startled, I saw a man grinning at NY Blackie & me as he stretched out on Big Bertha – the 6x12 snooker table.
“How’ve you been, Blackie? C’mon! Get in here! Liability – five a point! Who’s your friend? She can play too!” he laughed. “Nobody’s barred!!!”
And, that was how I first met the man we are mourning tonight.

Growing up in southern California, “Gentleman John” Henderson started playing snooker in his early teens. It wasn’t long before he discovered the action scene – the pool action scene.

It was a great time to be a pool player. There was action everywhere you went. John came up with & became friends with all the young guns of the day – Ronnie Allen, Johnny Ervolino, Richie Florence, NY Blackie, Larry Lisciotti, Billy Incardona, Wade Crane, Jimmy Reid & Denny Searcy to name a few along with all the Mexican champions of the day. Keith McCready & Cole Dickson were teenagers & still on the improve…
Over his many years in the game, he matched up & played them all - betting his own. Champion or amateur – he was always trying to make a game.
In one of our many conversations, he told me he had been playing the best one pocket of his life for the last several years & was very proud of the fact that he took the title in 2015 at the inaugural Super Seniors One Pocket Championship - Super Seniors being over 70! It was a very tough field filled with killers like Buddy Hall, Billy Incardona, Frank Almanza, Jeff Sparks, & James Christopher. John was thrilled when he was given the Lifetime Pool In Action award in 2021.

As many of you might know, for the last several years, he faced the toughest opponent of his life as he battled cancer & had spinal surgery leaving him unable to walk. He went after it with the same game he always played – one of formidable determination. He hit that rehab hard & told me he couldn’t wait to get back to his lady, his dog & the pool room – although not necessarily in that order!!!

He was in that rehab facility for seven long months but every time we talked, he made me howl with laughter as he told me stories about the other patients, stories about pool players – he never lost his positive attitude & sense of humor.

After a while at home & chomping at the bit to get back in action, John was finally strong enough to return to the pool room where he spent a good portion of his last days hanging out, matching up & doing commentary for the various streams.

Then, a couple weeks ago, tragedy struck again as he returned to the hospital with a torn aorta. Told it was inoperable with a 10% chance to live, he amazed everyone again as he walked out of the hospital to go home. However, a few days later he was dealt the final blow as he suffered a mini-stroke & finally passed away in hospice care. He was 83.

I remember John told me in our last phone call that he wasn’t afraid of death as he had had a long, full life. He spent his last days surrounded by his family & friends.

So, let’s celebrate our friend, John. He spent a lifetime showing us how the game should be played – with class, determination & success. I know I’m not the only one who will miss his hilarious one-liners, his big booming voice & his optimism.

Please join me in sending my condolences to his lady, Suzanne, his sons. Stephen & Dennis, & all who loved him.

RIP, my friend – I’ll sure miss you...
May be an image of billiards

jay helfert

Verified Member
Thank you Mary. What a huge void there will be for Pool in California. John exemplified everything that was good and fun about playing pool here. Wherever he went he brightened the mood! He and I played exactly one time, twenty a game. He gave me 9-8, 9-7 and we broke even. That was over fifty years ago, and that was always "our" game from then on, even if we never played! Thanks to pool we had a lifetime commitment to each other. John was my dear friend, but probably everyone who knew him would say the same thing. God bless you John! If there are any saints in pool, you would be one.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
This is what I wrote tonight to honor the passing of my friend early this morning...

The year was 1980. It was a gorgeous day in southern California but we were on the hunt for action. We walked into Bellflower Billiards & the place was empty. No houseman – nobody. We turned around to leave…and then we heard the click of the balls.

Following the sound, we found a private room. We stuck our heads in the door & heard, “NOBODY’S BARRED!!!”

Startled, I saw a man grinning at NY Blackie & me as he stretched out on Big Bertha – the 6x12 snooker table.
“How’ve you been, Blackie? C’mon! Get in here! Liability – five a point! Who’s your friend? She can play too!” he laughed. “Nobody’s barred!!!”

Growing up in southern California, “Gentleman John” Henderson started playing snooker in his early teens. It wasn’t long before he discovered the action scene – the pool action scene.

It was a great time to be a pool player. There was action everywhere you went. John came up with & became friends with all the young guns of the day – Ronnie Allen, Johnny Ervolino, Richie Florence, NY Blackie, Larry Lisciotti, Billy Incardona, Wade Crane, Jimmy Reid & Denny Searcy to name a few along with all the Mexican champions of the day. Keith McCready & Cole Dickson were teenagers & still on the improve…
Over his many years in the game, he matched up & played them all - betting his own. Champion or amateur – he was always trying to make a game.
In one of our many conversations, he told me he had been playing the best one pocket of his life for the last several years & was very proud of the fact that he took the title in 2015 at the inaugural Super Seniors One Pocket Championship - Super Seniors being over 70! It was a very tough field filled with killers like Buddy Hall, Billy Incardona, Frank Almanza, Jeff Sparks, & James Christopher. John was thrilled when he was given the Lifetime Pool In Action award in 2021.

As many of you might know, for the last several years, he faced the toughest opponent of his life as he battled cancer & had spinal surgery leaving him unable to walk. He went after it with the same game he always played – one of formidable determination. He hit that rehab hard & told me he couldn’t wait to get back to his lady, his dog & the pool room – although not necessarily in that order!!!

He was in that rehab facility for seven long months but every time we talked, he made me howl with laughter as he told me stories about the other patients, stories about pool players – he never lost his positive attitude & sense of humor.

After a while at home & chomping at the bit to get back in action, John was finally strong enough to return to the pool room where he spent a good portion of his last days hanging out, matching up & doing commentary for the various streams.

Then, a couple weeks ago, tragedy struck again as he returned to the hospital with a torn aorta. Told it was inoperable with a 10% chance to live, he amazed everyone again as he walked out of the hospital to go home. However, a few days later he was dealt the final blow as he suffered a mini-stroke & finally passed away in hospice care. He was 83.

I remember John told me in our last phone call that he wasn’t afraid of death as he had had a long, full life. He spent his last days surrounded by his family & friends.

So, let’s celebrate our friend, John. He spent a lifetime showing us how the game should be played – with class, determination & success. I know I’m not the only one who will miss his hilarious one-liners, his big booming voice & his optimism.

Please join me in sending my condolences to his lady, Suzanne, his sons. Stephen & Dennis, & all who loved him.

Very nice Mary. Right now i am at a loss of words.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Thx for the story Mare, here's another.

We first engaged one another in S. California, mid-seventies/gas crisis years.

Cardulo.....era. :)

I got to know him and Frank the Barber about the same time.
As life played out, our times together were important/real kinda :), we often roomed together at events, John snored very little.
Johns another one of those people, like a good cousin, that you enjoy engaging life with.
He could always out talk me if I let em, often I'd tell em/STOP lol :).
I'll miss his ''cackle'' smirky pool room Smile, that few players had.
I compare his great character/persona....in many ways to another wonderful man/pool player from WI who just passed.
Willie Munson.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
So. Cal, one things for Sure..... now since I'm relooking at this old pic of Hendy, I had TOTALLY forgotten about this till now.
When I met em.
He ALWAYS wore those cheap looking, beachie/flowerly Shirts, the cheap ones that made people laugh and no one would wear, BUT JOHN DID. There were VERY few pool players that I've known, that made their shirt choices, to make others laugh/break the ice, then he'd nicely try and sneak in your pocket.

Soft Sell

Attachments

• 0206221136.jpg
    0206221136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Thank you Mary, that is a beautiful tribute to John!

FastEddieF.

Verified Member

Mary thank you for being such a wonderful lady. John was a great man and a kind person. Thanks again for the beautiful goodbye to John.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Mary, you are the first lady of pool and a true warrior, friend, and a champion player. But your unrelenting pursuit to keep our game relevant along with the players that truly played it is second to none. Your tribute to our champion friend John Henderson is another testament to the passion and clarity that you have always displayed in your journey of keeping the game and the colorful characters relevant. Thank you Mary, you always make game ball. Love you, Bill Incardona

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
It’s hard for me to believe that my dear friend is gone.
I met him in 1960 and we immediately became good friends. We always joked that we were the same age for a couple months. I will miss you deeply. Thanks Johnny for all the years of friendship.
Rest in peace my friend.
Yep..... I was surprised but not, we talk often, but yet NOW, it just allows me to think more Good Thoughts as I can see em, pushin' up his frames. And acting like a kid.

180 degree turn....

When I think of you "Frank", or that man In that ''tacky'' Flower shirt :))))))), takes me back to So. Ca. and the Cardulo room where I first met John and you.
I even remember Grady showing up one time, eating bananas in that same room late seventies with his legs crossed, gurguling at times in laughter.
Name of room??
Frank knows.

bm

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It’s hard for me to believe that my dear friend is gone.
I met him in 1960 and we immediately became good friends. We always joked that we were the same age for a couple months. I will miss you deeply. Thanks Johnny for all the years of friendship.
Rest in peace my friend.
Frank, I am hoping you can make the memorial on the 17th. Call Stephan if you have any questions. Call me. I know you have my number.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Mary, you are the first lady of pool and a true warrior, friend, and a champion player. But your unrelenting pursuit to keep our game relevant along with the players that truly played it is second to none. Your tribute to our champion friend John Henderson is another testament to the passion and clarity that you have always displayed in your journey of keeping the game and the colorful characters relevant. Thank you Mary, you always make game ball. Love you, Bill Incardona
I was missing John tonight so I came here to read all the threads & comments. I laughed out loud reading some of the stories & John's one-liners from all his friends. And then I came to this thread and Billy's comment. My smile turned to tears as I read it. Thank you so much, Billy - it means so much to me to be recognized by one of the best people I know. Love you too, Mary

champagne

Verified Member