Jayme Goodwin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Terry mentioned Jayme Goodwin in another thread. Does anyone know whatever happened to him? I seem to remember hearing that he owned a room somewhere in Michigan a few years ago.

His brother lived in Eureka, Calif., which is at the "end of the line." On a visit one time in the mid '90s, he came into the poolroom in Eureka. I was practicing when he walked up and asked if I'd like to play some $100 9-ball. I recognized him, but couldn't think of his name. I declined to play-- said I was just practicing. Later I told him he wasn't going to get any $100 9-ball action in this room, because no one played that high. He just laughed and left. I guess he didn't want to play unless it was high.

The guy was a fearsome player...

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Terry mentioned Jayme Goodwin in another thread. Does anyone know whatever happened to him? I seem to remember hearing that he owned a room somewhere in Michigan a few years ago.

Doc

Hi Doc, I was talking with a friend of mine a few days ago who lives in Kalamazoo Michigan and I asked him who plays good around there these days. Well, he mentioned Jayme, so yeah, he's still around and still owns his pool room which is in Battle Creek MI......And back to Kalamazoo...now living 1 block down from the main pool room there, is Richie Richeson.

- Ghost

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:

His brother lived in Eureka, Calif., which is at the "end of the line." On a visit one time in the mid '90s, he came into the poolroom in Eureka. I was practicing when he walked up and asked if I'd like to play some $100 9-ball. I recognized him, but couldn't think of his name. I declined to play-- said I was just practicing. Later I told him he wasn't going to get any $100 9-ball action in this room, because no one played that high. He just laughed and left. I guess he didn't want to play unless it was high.

The guy was a fearsome player...

Did that happen to be at Ichabod's? I was sent to Eureka for 3 months after graduating Coast Guard boot camp back in '97. While I was there I hung out at that room quite a bit. I never found anyone there willing to bet $10 let alone $100.

mosconiac

Verified Member
Jaymie's win at the 1996 US Open One Pocket was the first time I saw professional 1P being played. I watched that one Accustat videotape & I was hooked.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebigdog said:
Did that happen to be at Ichabod's? I was sent to Eureka for 3 months after graduating Coast Guard boot camp back in '97. While I was there I hung out at that room quite a bit. I never found anyone there willing to bet $10 let alone $100.
Yes, it was. If you were there in '97 we surely must have met. I left in 2000 after being in the area for 16 years. No, there was no regular action. I played $10 or $20 9-ball sets with 2 guys. Occasionally there would be someone playing $50 sets, but it was rare. There was no one-pocket. Only 9-ball and straight pool. Someone else owns the room now, and I heard he likes action.

But there is very little action in the whole of California. Even in San Fransisco, if word gets out that someone is playing $50 one-pocket, the sweaters come in from 9 counties just to marvel. $100 action would make the front page of the sports section.:rolleyes: I think any of the poolplayers who like action have turned to poker.

Doc

yobagua

gulfportdoc said:
But there is very little action in the whole of California. Even in San Fransisco, if word gets out that someone is playing $50 one-pocket, the sweaters come in from 9 counties just to marvel. $100 action would make the front page of the sports section.:rolleyes: I think any of the poolplayers who like action have turned to poker.

Doc

Doc I guess you havent been down to So Cal recently. Lot of $50 or $100 and above(sets) action with no name players. With Alex L opening his own place there is a lot more.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
yobagua said:
Doc I guess you havent been down to So Cal recently. Lot of $50 or $100 and above(sets) action with no name players. With Alex L opening his own place there is a lot more.
Nah, I haven't been to SoCal since '84. Sounds like there's some gamble down there. And of course Central Calif. is where "Mr. Action" John Henderson lives. I was poking fun at the city of brotherly love. Or is that Philadelphia? No-- nowhere could there be as much brotherly love. In fact some of the brothers even love their neighbor's brothers...

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Nah, I haven't been to SoCal since '84. Sounds like there's some gamble down there. And of course Central Calif. is where "Mr. Action" John Henderson lives. I was poking fun at the city of brotherly love. Or is that Philadelphia? No-- nowhere could there be as much brotherly love. In fact some of the brothers even love their neighbor's brothers...

Doc

Thanks Doc, but I really haven't been in too much action lately and am getting my pool fix in weekly/monthly tournaments at Hard Times in Sacramento. Just got a new Chuck Starkey cue I will try out this weekend. The last time I matched up for $200 a game one pocket was with "Lettuce Larry" from Santa Cruz, a good solid player, but not exactly a household name. He charged me one social security check and I am trying to get him up to Hard Times to play again one of these days. I played him at California Billiard Club in Mountain View. Great place & tight equipment with new owners running a nice room. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive down & we played for 12 hours. The ride home was brutal. I'd should say I'm too old for this, but I love it & wish there was more action, just not so far away.

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Yes, it was. If you were there in '97 we surely must have met. I left in 2000 after being in the area for 16 years. No, there was no regular action. I played $10 or $20 9-ball sets with 2 guys. Occasionally there would be someone playing $50 sets, but it was rare. There was no one-pocket. Only 9-ball and straight pool. Someone else owns the room now, and I heard he likes action.

Doc

I don't think we met doc. I surely would have remberered meeting someone who could play out there. I met the new owner of the room last time I was up there, he did talk like he like the action.
I'm not sure about all the players switching to poker, maybe just the stakehoures.