It's not how well ...............

Mike

Verified Member
In gambling, it's not how well you play but how well you can make a game. I've seen very good players who consistently make bad games and some average players getting the best of it many times. Who are some of the BEST game makers over the years? I'd ask for the worst as well but I hate seeing my name in print!! :eek: So we don't hurt anyone's feelings or start a war let's keep it to the best.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Mike said:
In gambling, it's not how well you play but how well you can make a game. I've seen very good players who consistently make bad games and some average players getting the best of it many times. Who are some of the BEST game makers over the years? I'd ask for the worst as well but I hate seeing my name in print!! :eek: So we don't hurt anyone's feelings or start a war let's keep it to the best.

Before the movie New York Fats was also known as Double Smart Fats for just the reason you mention.

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
In Amarillo Slim Preston's book..."In a World Full of Fat People", he talks about Fats quite bit and some of the game Fats would make. They were never what you would call friends, but old Slim sure thought alot of the Fat Man...at least that is how I read it. Slim basically said that he modeled his style after meeting Fats and went and got his nickname due to Fats' famed names!

If you really liked Freddy's stories in his books (I sure did), then I would say this book is right up your alley as it tells stories in kind of the same way. :)

Mike

Verified Member
..."In a World Full of Fat People"

I do have Freddy's book and also enjoyed the stories. I'll have to look into Slim's book.

Did you ever read Fat's book "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies"? I enjoyed it very much. Along with the movie he did more to re-ignite interest in pool years ago than anyone I know.

Last edited:

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I just picked up a copy of the The Bank Shot..

What movie did FATs do to re-ignite interest in pool many years ago?

Mike said:
..."In a World Full of Fat People"

I do have Freddy's book and also enjoyed the stories. I'll have to look in to Slim's book.

Did you ever read Fat's book "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies"? I enjoyed it very much. Along with the movie he did more to re-ignite interest in pool years ago than anyone I know.

Mike

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
I just picked up a copy of the The Bank Shot..

What movie did FATs do to re-ignite interest in pool many years ago?

My fault, I was referring to "The Hustler" in addition to Fats.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Mike said:

Mike, good gamblers have the game won before they get to the table. My mentor an old hustler told me this years ago and I believe he was correct.
He used to say don't let your opponent dictate which table you play on, how much you play for, etc. these are all areas where you can gain the edge.
Phil Welch

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
philwelch said:
Mike, good gamblers have the game won before they get to the table. My mentor an old hustler told me this years ago and I believe he was correct.
He used to say don't let your opponent dictate which table you play on, how much you play for, etc. these are all areas where you can gain the edge.
Phil Welch
In my interview with Freddy he talked about Ronnie Allen and Artie trying to match up one time:
"The two of them [Artie & Ronnie Allen] were going to play one time – up in Wisconsin – and they spent two hours in negotiations. Over what table, how much to bet, what are the rules, and they finally got stymied on what cue ball! Now Artie’s with a friend of mine who’s a lunatic who just won about fifty thousand at the track, and he loved Artie and he wanted to see the game. He’s the kind of guy that will blow like ten thousand just to see the game; he don’t care, okay? Now he wants Artie to play; he wants to see that game. I mean, what a game, Ronnie and Artie, playing even! But Artie wouldn’t play; he wouldn’t concede these things that Ronnie wanted. And my friend is threatening Artie; he put the gun on Artie and said, ‘I don’t care if ya lose, but if ya don’t play I’m going to kill ya.’ But Artie said no, no, no. My friend was a lunatic; he was screaming and cursing, ‘Just play; I don’t care about the money.’ And he didn’t care about the money; he just wanted to see this game. But on the threat of death, Artie would not make a game that he didn’t like."

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
When I went on the road and walked into a room full of strangers looking for a game I never wanted the best player first. I just about knew I was going to beat anyone I didn't already know so I want to be sure I had a weaker player to start with and work my way up the ladder.
The easiet way to learn this fast is to take your man way in the back away from everyone and see if a crowd forms.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
......out runnin' the nuts.....lol....

......out runnin' the nuts.....lol....

....my Daddy always told me...if an opponant thinks he has the worst of the game......when ya beat him....he'll usually quit with money in his pocket.....but if he thinks he has the ...best of the game....he'll go broke....lol.....over the years ....the most consistant large scores...that I've seen....were made by a ......great Player.....givin' up the nuts....and then out runnin' 'em.......Ronnie Allen was nortorious for this....some of the games I remember him givin' up.....are to ridiculous to mention.....lol..............but if he ever offers me....12 to close again......I'll have to play......lol....

Pogue

Well-Known-Member
From
Mainz, Germany
onepocket926 said:
....my Daddy always told me...if an opponant thinks he has the worst of the game......when ya beat him....he'll usually quit with money in his pocket.....but if he thinks he has the ...best of the game....he'll go broke....lol.....over the years ....the most consistant large scores...that I've seen....were made by a ......great Player.....givin' up the nuts....and then out runnin' 'em.......Ronnie Allen was nortorious for this....some of the games I remember him givin' up.....are to ridiculous to mention.....lol..............but if he ever offers me....12 to close again......I'll have to play......lol....

Did I ever mention.. How truly irritating on a deeply fundamental level it is to read a post written in the style you use? If you use that style on all the message boards you post to, I'm sure someone has told you this before.

Just curious, but why do you do that?

Pogue

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
....because.....

....because.....

...the dots represent pauses in speech....but.........I mainly use this style....because it's easier to distinguish...my post when using.....Instant Messaging on Yahoo .......if it irritates you to see all the dots....I apologize....but...I can only suggest that you ignore the them...or the post altogether.....'cause I'm to old to change......

Last edited: