Ismael 'Morro' Paez / 8 years since his first stroke

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
I spoke with Morro's wife, Ana on the phone the other day. She gave me a ring after she noticed that Geraldine and I tied the knot. Anyway, Ana reminded me that it's been 8 years since his stroke and, I was surprised to hear that he is still residing in the same place that he started at since he was admitted in 2015:

Upland Rehabilitation Center
1221 East Arrow Highway
Upland, California 91786

Morro's recovery has been difficult. He has been rendered legally blind after having 2 more strokes, just over a year ago. During the pandemic in 2019 there was a restriction on open showers which meant that he had to be given sponge baths in bed and now, four years later, he's recovering from atrophy because of not being allowed to get around for showers or any regular exercise. Since last seeing him prior to Covid, although he couldn't speak well he was quite cognizant and determined to recover. Little Al and I found him exercising in the gym and he even got a few words out to us, saying that he's hoping to get back out there.

A few years back, Ana gave Morro a few options which he declined and I'm not sure why. She offered to retire a year or so early and move south of the border to be close to family and medical care which is available to him there. She finally has retired now after over 2 decades working with the County Of LA but from what I gather, Morro is not there on their medical insurance. Maybe he's there on Medicare... not so sure because Ana's English is not so great. On the upside of things, after retiring, she obtained a driver's license and small car so now she's able to drive to him 4 or 5 days a week to keep him company. She used to take a train and 2 buses after work and on her days off, from what I gather. To say she's been a good wife would be nothing less than an understatement.

Visiting Morro would be discouraged at this point. He's blind, somewhat incoherent and, suffers from anxiety and frustration and not being able to talk or see. A familiar person from his past in the same room would only serve to sadden him, in my opinion. I told Ana that I would be happy to take any collections or contributions at the tournament in Fremont this June if anyone cares to help. I do not keep any of this money. It all goes to Ana and Morro. I did this for her in Las Vegas at one of the Andy Mercer events and I was able to send her about $1,400.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thank you. We are old friends and competitors. I got him a mtg when they bought the four properties in Corona.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Man, that's a sad story to hear. Hadn't heard that he'd had a stroke 8 years ago. Was Morro born in 1950? If so, he'd be about 73-74 now, and presumably was about 66 when he had the stroke.

He was an exciting player to watch because of his mannerisms, and deadly accuracy on long shots. I'd guess he was about a level below the better pros. I played him at a Reno, NV 9ball tournament at the Sands in the mid '90s. He beat me 9-3, but winning 3 against him felt like a big accomplishment for me!

He had a great pool stroke, and could make the CB dance with a masse. Being blind and barely able to speak must be horrible. It's good that at least he can hear. I hope he can get his speech and decent health back!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thank you so much for the update on Morro, he is such a a nice man. Sad to hear though, I was hoping for some improvement after so much time.

Looking forward to seeing you in june, Daniel.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I spoke with Morro's wife, Ana on the phone the other day. She gave me a ring after she noticed that Geraldine and I tied the knot. Anyway, Ana reminded me that it's been 8 years since his stroke and, I was surprised to hear that he is still residing in the same place that he started at since he was admitted in 2015:

Upland Rehabilitation Center
1221 East Arrow Highway
Upland, California 91786

Morro's recovery has been difficult. He has been rendered legally blind after having 2 more strokes, just over a year ago. During the pandemic in 2019 there was a restriction on open showers which meant that he had to be given sponge baths in bed and now, four years later, he's recovering from atrophy because of not being allowed to get around for showers or any regular exercise. Since last seeing him prior to Covid, although he couldn't speak well he was quite cognizant and determined to recover. Little Al and I found him exercising in the gym and he even got a few words out to us, saying that he's hoping to get back out there.

A few years back, Ana gave Morro a few options which he declined and I'm not sure why. She offered to retire a year or so early and move south of the border to be close to family and medical care which is available to him there. She finally has retired now after over 2 decades working with the County Of LA but from what I gather, Morro is not there on their medical insurance. Maybe he's there on Medicare... not so sure because Ana's English is not so great. On the upside of things, after retiring, she obtained a driver's license and small car so now she's able to drive to him 4 or 5 days a week to keep him company. She used to take a train and 2 buses after work and on her days off, from what I gather. To say she's been a good wife would be nothing less than an understatement.

Visiting Morro would be discouraged at this point. He's blind, somewhat incoherent and, suffers from anxiety and frustration and not being able to talk or see. A familiar person from his past in the same room would only serve to sadden him, in my opinion. I told Ana that I would be happy to take any collections or contributions at the tournament in Fremont this June if anyone cares to help. I do not keep any of this money. It all goes to Ana and Morro. I did this for her in Las Vegas at one of the Andy Mercer events and I was able to send her about $1,400.
It’s so unfortunate what has happened to Morro. I met him in early 80’s at Dick Megiveron’s Billiard Tavern in downtown San Diego. I got to know him better from Hardtimes Belleflower, including playing as golf partners on Big Bertha. One of the best pieces of advice he gave me was “Jesus Christ—chew gum no good!” He reasoned that it interferes with concentration—and I think he was right about that.
Thanks for the update.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
It’s so unfortunate what has happened to Morro. I met him in early 80’s at Dick Megiveron’s Billiard Tavern in downtown San Diego. I got to know him better from Hardtimes Belleflower, including playing as golf partners on Big Bertha. One of the best pieces of advice he gave me was “Jesus Christ—chew gum no good!” He reasoned that it interferes with concentration—and I think he was right about that.
Thanks for the update.
Nick Varner would disagree lol

jay helfert

Verified Member
Thank you for the update Daniel, discouraging though it is. I loved Morro, one of the most exciting pool players to watch during his time at the top. And he was one of the best for a long time, a great money player and a formidable opponent in tournaments too. I have one of his best matches on DVD from the 2000 World Pool Championships where he ran nine racks on Earl in the Semifinals and played Fong Pang Chao in the finals. You can find it on jayhelfert.com