Having a Backer … Less Pressure? Or More?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

Since the most I’ve ever wagered on a game of pool is a drink, and since nobody in the known universe would consider placing even that pittance at risk on me, I’m probably well-qualified to opine on the subject.

My first reaction to this question was … easy peasy … the player has nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. Yet, that little voice we all hear (you do know that voice, don’t you?) told me to reassess my assumption.

(Naturally the stakehorse has a few considerations of his own before entering the fray:

> Trust. Of course.

> Confidence. Natch.

> Timeline. One-off or long term project?)

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships.

If it’s Mr. S. Horse’s first flutter with Mr. Player, I imagine the pressure to prevail falls squarely upon the player. Probably true for the next couple of ventures as well.

The backer can, presumably, afford the loss; the player doesn’t want to squander the trust. Nor the future opportunities. Nor the negative peer appraisal.

If, after several contests, the relationship continues, I believe the player can relax a bit -- comfortable with the financial contract, optimistic regarding the long-term relationship, and reasonably upbeat about his backer-vetted chances to win -- all without those nagging ‘how do I explain this to the wife if I lose the money?’ questions.

Shining a precision spotlight into the demimonde of pool is my life,

Sunny

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Dear Gentle Readers,

Since the most I’ve ever wagered on a game of pool is a drink, and since nobody in the known universe would consider placing even that pittance at risk on me, I’m probably well-qualified to opine on the subject.

My first reaction to this question was … easy peasy … the player has nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. Yet, that little voice we all hear (you do know that voice, don’t you?) told me to reassess my assumption.

(Naturally the stakehorse has a few considerations of his own before entering the fray:

> Trust. Of course.

> Confidence. Natch.

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships.

If it’s Mr. S. Horse’s first flutter with Mr. Player, I imagine the pressure to prevail falls squarely upon the player. Probably true for the next couple of ventures as well.

The backer can, presumably, afford the loss; the player doesn’t want to squander the trust. Nor the future opportunities. Nor the negative peer appraisal.

If, after several contests, the relationship continues, I believe the player can relax a bit -- comfortable with the financial contract, optimistic regarding the long-term relationship, and reasonably upbeat about his backer-vetted chances to win -- all without those nagging ‘how do I explain this to the wife if I lose the money?’ questions.

Shining a precision spotlight into the demimonde of pool is my life,

Sunny

Depends on the person. You can tell that by how they match up and their won loss record. If a person doesn't give a shit about the person backing them they will have a poor win loss record because they are making any game they can good or bad. Myself when I get backed im extra careful matching up and thats why my win loss record is good. I feel WAY more pressure getting backed but sometimes you have to fade that. When I bet my own (which I prefer) I go for alot tougher games because I dont have to worry about looking over and seeing someone sweating every decision I make. There is one guy I have played on the road the same game 6 different times over the last 3 or 4 years, he is 0 for 6 and everytime he has a new guy staking him and he is swearing to the guy he is stealing. When I get backed im real honest with who is backing me. If it is a real tough game I tell them up front and then if they want to back me I play.... So to answer your question to me there is WAY less pressure betting my own money than getting staked.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Dear Gentle Readers,

> Trust. Of course.

> Confidence. Natch.

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships. If it’s Mr. S. Horse’s first flutter with Mr. Player, I imagine the pressure to prevail falls squarely upon the player. Probably true for the next couple of ventures as well.

As with so much in life, I believe the question of pressure comes down to relationships. Shining a precision spotlight into the demimonde of pool is my life.

Sunny

When I was playing hi $$$ pool, I naturally preferred to bet my own whenever possible !... For real hi stakes, when a backer was needed, I still preferred having as much of my own $$$ involved as possible !.. I was also fortunate, in that most of my backers were close friends. That eliminated any need for concern, re; whether I was giving it my best effort, or not.. I seldom needed to approach a stranger, for backing !..That may well have made me feel 'uncomfortable' !

Like Hacker, I never BS'd my backer/friend, as to the toughness of the match-up..Most knew anyway, that good player's rarely see 'easy' action, for high stakes !..I was never a very good 'trapper' so most of my games were 'tough'!...All that being said, I rarely felt any 'extra' pressure, whether being staked, as opposed to playing my own ! (pressure, is pressure,..if you can't deal with it, you need to find another racket ! ;)

SJD

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Depends on the person. You can tell that by how they match up and their won loss record. If a person doesn't give a shit about the person backing them they will have a poor win loss record because they are making any game they can good or bad. Myself when I get backed im extra careful matching up and thats why my win loss record is good. I feel WAY more pressure getting backed but sometimes you have to fade that. When I bet my own (which I prefer) I go for alot tougher games because I dont have to worry about looking over and seeing someone sweating every decision I make. There is one guy I have played on the road the same game 6 different times over the last 3 or 4 years, he is 0 for 6 and everytime he has a new guy staking him and he is swearing to the guy he is stealing. When I get backed im real honest with who is backing me. If it is a real tough game I tell them up front and then if they want to back me I play.... So to answer your question to me there is WAY less pressure betting my own money than getting staked.
Interesting, good to know that. Well since there's less pressure on you when you bet your own, and since you match up playing tougher games when you bet your own, the next time we play you can bet your own at the game of 9/6.:D That offer is only good for the next three months, getting older at a faster rate forces me to put a time limit on the offer.:heh:sorry

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
Never had a backer. Always bet my own.

Played 9 ball as high as 1500. per game.

That was 1960's dollars. About 18K a game in today's money.

Looking for a stake horse for some real high action.

Bill S.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I can see by your posts that you really enjoy the gamesmanship, the fallderall and all the hoopdedoos of the pool room scene and players and gambling and all that .
Might I suggest , that you dive in the antics and back a player and get some hands on experience.
It's, oh so thrilling .
You may even get the vapors.
I know several players who are undercover monsters, I would be happy to put you in touch with them for a teensie weensie jelly roll. {Thats customary , I wouldn't ask but there is a tradition to be upheld,} you know, old school and all that.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
This is why I give my man Henderson a lot of credit. He always played on his own. He once said about pressure " I never dog it I just miss". Good one John.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I usually bet my own, but later in my career I learned to love getting staked, after a beneficial lecture by the great backer producer, Peter Rabbit. He taught me the power of a stake horse. I used to play much worse with a backer, putting enormous pressure on myself. I learned that the backer is playing vicariously thru you and he really doesnt want to see you responding to the pressure the way that he probably would. He wants you to do the things that he cant do, and that is play loose and aggressive.

With a stake horse I shoot at hospital ships. I play at least 9 to 8 better, sorry to say.

Beard

(The bottom line is that I can still bet my own stuff, however.)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I think the answer to this question is it depends on the backer.

If you have a good backer, there is no more or less pressure than when playing on your own imo.

I noticed I am MUCH more willing to "punish" myself by perhaps not concentrating on a shot after a horrendous mistake when playing on my own. Would never even think about doing that with a backer.

beatle

Verified Member
if i am putting money up i am making the game not the player. and know exactly how each plays and who can give what.

and never bet on or do any dealings with those that will dump or double you out.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Paducah KY

Paducah KY

Was in the area last yr visiting a long time friend. He hit's em around with Cecil, told me Buddy Can't play on his own money. Sounds allot like Medina in his prime. Some players would come back later and got 100% return on their time, and even get walkin' money for the initial loss.