Gorst vs Chohan....20k in the middle!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Was the funky table the deciding factor in this match?
i assume both players knew the venue and the tables
icbw
it did seem the table characteristics had fedor miss balls you would not expect him to miss
on the other hand
tony who is not known for his firepower
seemed to pocket balls and bank well

OldSchool

Verified Member
i assume both players knew the venue and the tables
icbw
it did seem the table characteristics had fedor miss balls you would not expect him to miss
on the other hand
tony who is not known for his firepower
seemed to pocket balls and bank well

Gotta disagree here Larry...along with his moving, Tony has a TON of firepower, and that certainly is a known fact.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Was the funky table the deciding factor in this match?
The biggest issue for Fedor was that the short rail banks played very short and bouncy. Banks that Fedor would normally make were short giving tony more chances than usual. He could not get dialed in.

Afterwards Fedor said he's used to new cloth and new balls and those banks are like tic tac toe for him (LoL), but not the way this table played.

Not funky, normal for diamonds in humid areas

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Gotta disagree here Larry...along with his moving, Tony has a TON of firepower, and that certainly is a known fact.
OldSchool i always respect what you say
but i think of tony as a guy who shoots spectacular "shot of the match" type shots
but not someone who fires them in from everywhere
i need to rethink my impression based on your comment
p.s.
hope all is well......:)

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Anybody else look at the stats(thanks atlarge) and wonder why Fedor kept breaking from the left ??

OldSchool

Verified Member
OldSchool i always respect what you say
but i think of tony as a guy who shoots spectacular "shot of the match" type shots
but not someone who fires them in from everywhere
i need to rethink my impression based on your comment
p.s.
hope all is well......:)

evergruven said:
I just want to know what firepower is?
Shotmaking prowess

Larry, your answer/defining firepower to evergruven that I copied above, is correct...but it must be defined it in it's entirety...shotmaking prowess/firepower does not just consist of firing in straight in shots...it also consists of firing in banks, combinations, and caroms, all of which Tony tremendously excels at.

You be well too Larry.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Verified Member
Funny, I've recently been thinking that the "Russian Robot" doesn't really fit Fedor that well. For one thing, although he is from Russia he seems to be taking steps to distance himself. Of course we will have to wait and see how that plays out in the long run. But out of respect for his apparent effort to distance himself, that alone is a good enough reason for me to start looking for another pool nickname. And "Robot", to my eyes does not fit him that well either. I mean compared to say Rolf Soquet, Fedor is like an adagio dancer, smooth and deliberate, with a real grace to his play -- there are other Euro players much more robotic imo. I wish I had a good suggestion but in the meantime, I am going to keep my antennae up for one.

"The Immigrant" lol, or, going old school ;), this one I really like...remember, towering over Stallone, the scary Russian champion from the epic 1985 Rocky movie: "Drago"

Young as he is, I wonder if Fedor knows who Drago is/was.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The best player nicknames emerge on their own, almost organically.

Trying to engineer one usual provides a poor result.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
On the issue of the term “firepower” I think it can have different meanings but IMO it generally means a player can hit/make any given shot, even at distance, with great accuracy.

Think big artillery.

I’m not so sure it means the guy can play great position and run tons of balls. When I think of the great 14.1 players capable of running hundreds, I don’t recall “firepower” being used to describe those guys. It could but I’m not so sure it’s the best fit. So when it comes to 1pocket, and running eight and out, maybe firepower isn’t the right turn of phrase.

Lou Figueroa

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
In my opinion, Lou, firepower is a good descriptive word for pool players who can 'get there'. If a player has good shot-making skills and great position play I think he has firepower, and I believe there are quite a few one-pocket players in action today who have real firepower. It can restrict the way an opponent plays, meaning that he is overly cautious and reluctant to allow the player to get to the table. :unsure:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
In my opinion, Lou, firepower is a good descriptive word for pool players who can 'get there'. If a player has good shot-making skills and great position play I think he has firepower, and I believe there are quite a few one-pocket players in action today who have real firepower. It can restrict the way an opponent plays, meaning that he is overly cautious and reluctant to allow the player to get to the table. :unsure:

Just different schools of thought, vapros.

Lou Figueroa