Filler/ Chohan May 12-13th

unoperro

Verified Member
Todays games are exactly what I expected to see.
Filler is too talented. His confidence is sky high and his game knowledge gets better all the time.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
This is why I believe Tony should have made every game a knocked down dragged out affair.
If I was in Tony's corner I would have told him to try and make every game last as long as possible. Up table every game if possible. That's where his edge shows up in the knowledge department. I know that's not Tony's style, but great players are supposed to be able to adapt when needed I believe especially when against a different animal such as Filler.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well it's over -- 21-17 Filler. On the plus side, this has to be very good for the game of One Pocket to have the world's top young player falling i love with the game, and seeing that it PAYS :LOL:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
wow, incredible performance..looking forward to seeing him play some of these other top one hole pros....got some good matches coming up I bet! Congrats to both players and thanks for the stream!

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
It didn't seem like Tony was fully motivated. Not taking anything away from Filler, but as PoolBoy says, the rhythm of those games seemed to benefit Filler, while Tony is definitely capable of playing more strategically and patiently.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Tony played great, but Filler showed us all that he's learned how to play this game. I hope they'll match up again on a table with tougher pockets. Filler has been playing on this table for months, and the wider pockets favor the shooter. If he can freewheel and make all those shots on 4" pockets, then he'll prove he can be one of the best.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Today we saw a great player shot into the proverbial coma. Filler bled the life out of Chohan. That little German ran balls like he was double-parked on a fire plug. He leaped to the table when his turn came - he made everything he shot at and he shot at everything. When he needed a roll he got one. Tony played well in spots, but he was never in danger of catching up after the first few games. Thanks to Roy at the basement for treating us to so much top-level pool. I think Filler is on his way back to Germany and we may not see him for a while, but future one-pocket matches will likely have to be somewhere else - who wants to play him here? So much fire power! Day one was fantastic, day two not so much. Maybe Orcollo could be the one to beat him - he would make him wait. All in all, a most enjoyable two days of one-pocket.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Tony played great, but Filler showed us all that he's learned how to play this game. I hope they'll match up again on a table with tougher pockets. Filler has been playing on this table for months, and the wider pockets favor the shooter. If he can freewheel and make all those shots on 4" pockets, then he'll prove he can be one of the best.

I think that would hurt Tony more than Filler. If I recall there was a thread awhile back that stated you want to play a game where the pocket size benefits your abilities to shoot balls in. At least that was the conclusion of some very experienced players/handicappers.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member

kkdanamatt

Verified Member
From
Livingston, NJ
I've watched Filler play one-pocket on a Gold Crown with 4" pockets.
After the first game, during which he was tentative, he began firing them in just like he did against Chohan.
Ok, he was only playing a local one-pocket player who isn't capable of running 8-and-out, but he split those Brunswick 4" pockets from anywhere on the table.
Filler has proven that pocketing is the key ingediant in one-pocket.
All the knowledge in the world can't overcome somebody who hardly ever misses, banks like a demon, and controls whitey very well.
Yes, Joshua has a lot to learn about the end game, pushing balls up table, when to take an intentional scratch, etc., but he's a quick study.
I predict that he will become one of the top one-pocket players of our generation.
Don't forget, he just turned 22!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I think that would hurt Tony more than Filler. If I recall there was a thread awhile back that stated you want to play a game where the pocket size benefits your abilities to shoot balls in. At least that was the conclusion of some very experienced players/handicappers.

That discussion has been around a long time. I’m definitely in the camp of “I prefer to play those pros on 4 1/8 tables”. I’ve played Efren four times. The only time I was ahead or even in the match was on 4 1/8 table. He just never missed on a bucket table. Of course I’m getting weight, but I’ve also played many other pros around the country and no way do I any part of them unless it’s on a tight table. Tom Wirth disagrees with me but that’s been my personal experience with pocket size.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Well they certainly proved that one pocket can be played at a fairly high level, and average about 10 minutes a game...

They played 38 games in about 6 hours... no uptable games that I saw, with mostly super aggressive moves... apparently they both hate even looking to push balls up, because they both opted to take the aggressive shots when faced with extending the game, even when they had a sizable lead...

This kid is fearless... as most kids are... But he’s not reckless! Big difference... He controls himself very well and moves around the table with an obvious air of confidence... I think he will be around the game of one pocket for a long time, and although his style would be somewhat hindered by players like Pags and Dennis’s slow playing, I believe he would adjust to it and give them a decent game even today... He’s the real deal, and it’s gonna take one hell of a one pocket player to chill him out!

keoneyo

Verified Member
Seems like Filler was getting some coaching from Lely before this started. After hearing Lely's commentating I was impressed. He has a firm grasp of the game and sees moves and shots that only an astute practitioner of the game has. Filler though he is younger sounded very mature in his summation of the game.
I think Filler has also a lot of experience in competition and his rhythm was strong. If Tony could have found someway to break that rhythm he would have had more of an edge. After all one pocket is not only a game of aggressive strategy but forcing your opponent into a defensive one.
A mentally strong player like Alex or Dennis or a Young Parica and Young Efren would be giving Filler much more complex situations to deal with. '
Im very happy to see the potential of European players adapting to one pocket. It would broaden the scope of the game.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Tony knows only one way to play and that's offensive. Filler is a beast and a force to be reckoned with in future years, make no mistake about it. I watched the last two hours of day one and concluded that Tony was in trouble because he didn't have the firepower Filler has and IMO, that's how the games were going to be played. Filler also showed no respect for Tony not in a bad way, in a way that led me to believe that he was solely focused on what he wanted to do and that was to play super aggressively. Filler has a high pool IQ and his ball-striking ability is second to none, his cue ball control is excellent and his speed of the cue ball is outstanding. He holds over Tony in every aspect of the game technically other than the experience level which apparently is not enough to make up the ground Tony loses technically. I feel that Filler in the future will be the number one player in the world playing one pocket, simply because he is as fearless a player that possesses all the tools and ability to beat anyone with pure fire power and pressure.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tony knows only one way to play and that's offensive. Filler is a beast and a force to be reckoned with in future years, make no mistake about it. I watched the last two hours of day one and concluded that Tony was in trouble because he didn't have the firepower Filler has and IMO, that's how the games were going to be played. Filler also showed no respect for Tony not in a bad way, in a way that led me to believe that he was solely focused on what he wanted to do and that was to play super aggressively. Filler has a high pool IQ and his ball-striking ability is second to none, his cue ball control is excellent and his speed of the cue ball is outstanding. He holds over Tony in every aspect of the game technically other than the experience level which apparently is not enough to make up the ground Tony loses technically. I feel that Filler in the future will be the number one player in the world playing one pocket, simply because he is as fearless a player that possesses all the tools and ability to beat anyone with pure fire power and pressure.

Dr. Bill
so the shooter with some knowledge beats the mover...?
artie
your thoughts???