favorite handicaps

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Aside from adjusting the ball counts that each player needs to reach, what are the ways you enjoy spotting or being spotted and why? For example, no 3-foul, three-and-stop, etc.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm a big fan of scratches don't count. Hardly anybody knows what it's worth. There was a long thread here about it and nobody agreed. Artie didn't have a clue, but argued like he knew. :)
Rod.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm a big fan of scratches don't count. Hardly anybody knows what it's worth. There was a long thread here about it and nobody agreed. Artie didn't have a clue, but argued like he knew. :)
Rod.

Yeah, this spot is HUGE. Guess it should be offered when the disparity in speed is great. Hard to say, but I bet I could knock off some 1p giants with this spot! I imagine it could be the equivalent of 8-4 or better if used correctly. And, yes, I do see that you wouldn't want to give it to someone who knows how to properly take intentionals.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
favorite handicaps

Yeah, this spot is HUGE. Guess it should be offered when the disparity in speed is great. Hard to say, but I bet I could knock off some 1p giants with this spot! I imagine it could be the equivalent of 8-4 or better if used correctly. And, yes, I do see that you wouldn't want to give it to someone who knows how to properly take intentionals.

Yep. Well said Dan. I would love to get this spot!!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Yep. Well said Dan. I would love to get this spot!!

If I was getting this spot and lost my break, I'd be on suicide watch!

It May be worth 9/7 but I think it's a wee bit less. That's why I like it, most feel like you guys.
Rod.
P.S. You can't make a ball while taking a scratch. :eek: You can't move any balls away from your opponents pocket. :eek:

P.P.S I usually try to get the break, which makes it doubly hard on the guy scratching. I also try for( if they pocket scratch) they put one up. I'll play without these, but most are so anxious for the game they give them. :)

I know most don't agree. :frus

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Well, Rod, when you change the proposition, you change the value of the spot. Necessarily. A bit like when they were trying to get DiMaggio on the Yanks. Told him, we'll give ya a million dollars - a dollar every year for a million years.

If the guy don't know how to take intentionals, then, yeah, it ain't worth much.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Well, Rod, when you change the proposition, you change the value of the spot. Necessarily. A bit like when they were trying to get DiMaggio on the Yanks. Told him, we'll give ya a million dollars - a dollar every year for a million years.

If the guy don't know how to take intentionals, then, yeah, it ain't worth much.

I'll play without these, but most are so anxious for the game they give them. :)

I know most don't agree. :frus
Rod.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
A friend back in the Baltimore area liked to play short stops a gaff game where he would play with the bridge every shot. This is not as easy as you may think. Another friend had a cue maker load a shaft with lead to give it enough weight so he could play guys with just the shaft. Sometimes what they don't know, can hurt them.

I played a few players crazy games like scratches no count, or use a broomstick with a tip on it. One guy just like to play if I wore two overcoats. And there was one guy I would play nine ball with where all he had to do to win the game was make the nine ball hit a rail on a good hit. Another nine ball spot I used to give to weak players was a hand span on every shot. Ya can't give up that game in One Pocket.

In One Pocket the craziest game I gave up was where I racked all the balls in my opponent's pocket with the two corner balls centered one on the side rail the other on the end rail and we played even. I had one guy take me up on another gaff game where I went to eight and he went to two but he had to bank them both. Another, the break and a pick is a good handicap game. Two backs to a front might be another but you better know what you are doing with that game.

There are people, pool nuts who just like gaff games and will lose there cheese more freely at these games then they will at games with normal handicaps. Whatever keeps 'em happy I always say! :D

Don't get any ideas folks, those days are over for me. I'm on the other side of the coin now.

Tom

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Gaff or prop games seem like they were more popular in days of old than now. I suspect people are either wizened up to their value or are just skeptical of the unknown nowadays.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
Nobody has mentioned the hit & pick spots. When I was learning 1 pocket about 20 years ago at Red Shoes, that always seemed to be the way we matched up and that is the way I learned to adjust. I have been in Minnesota for about 12 years now but nobody seems to know that spot. John Lavin may be able to provide more incite on that as he and Rob Talchik tortured me plenty!!

beatle

Verified Member
the problem with simple spots is that after two games one side can clearly see what the spot is worth and whether he can win at it or not.

but against someone who just wants to go off it doesnt matter as they are going to play.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
In One Pocket the craziest game I gave up was where I racked all the balls in my opponent's pocket with the two corner balls centered one on the side rail the other on the end rail and we played even. I had one guy take me up on another gaff game where I went to eight and he went to two but he had to bank them both. Another, the break and a pick is a good handicap game. Two backs to a front might be another but you better know what you are doing with that game.

There are people, pool nuts who just like gaff games and will lose there cheese more freely at these games then they will at games with normal handicaps. Whatever keeps 'em happy I always say! :D

Don't get any ideas folks, those days are over for me. I'm on the other side of the coin now.

Tom

Nobody has mentioned the hit & pick spots. When I was learning 1 pocket about 20 years ago at Red Shoes, that always seemed to be the way we matched up and that is the way I learned to adjust. I have been in Minnesota for about 12 years now but nobody seems to know that spot. John Lavin may be able to provide more incite on that as he and Rob Talchik tortured me plenty!!

Hey 777, did you overlook this tid-bit? :)

Tom

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
favorite handicaps

Here's one you guys should like when someone wants odds on the money (assuming you are the better player):

"Sure but only when one of us gets ahead two games. After all if we are just trading wins we should be playing even."

Yep sounds logical to me :)