Efren vs. Medley Controversy!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I viewed this entire match, and I'll let you decide how you feel Mike's sportsmanship is. He lost count on a game where he thought he was out, but he still needed a ball, and as you here he refers back to this instance, and states Efren tried to cheat him. He also seems to be talking quite loudly at times while Efren is addressing the table, and on another occasion someone comes over and talks freely with him as Efren is addressing the table, Efren then pauses, and then pauses again, finally shoots and then makes an un-characterlike mistake. Hard to watch how that all came down.

Just observations! I felt JJ's commentary of this hit or miss episode was very good. Obviously Mike being seated several feet away, and the cb crossing the 12 ball impairs his vision, and this combined with Efren's hand gesture created Mike's judgement call on this shot!

I've had this very same call made by an opponent, where he accused me of making a foul in which I did not. It ruined our match for he honestly thought I fouled, and I honestly did not, and told him so. I called over a ref. and he would not comply with the ref. and the ref. got mad at him, and I finally got so mad, I said here; "take ball in hand, I do not need to cheat to win". Then the ref. got mad at me for giving him ball in hand, and then chewed out that guy again. That is probably why I posted this, among other reasons!

Efren, handled this like the true champion he is! Whitey

1:23 on video.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I viewed this entire match, and I feel Mike did not display very good sportsmanship. He lost count on a game where he thought he was out, but he still needed a ball, and as you here he refers back to this instance, and states Efren tried to cheat him. He also seems to be talking quite loudly at times while Efren is addressing the table, and on another occasion someone comes over and talks freely with him as Efren is addressing the table, Efren then pauses, and then pauses again, finally shoots and then makes an un-characterlike mistake. Hard to watch how that all came down.
Just observations! I felt JJ's commentary of this hit or miss episode was very good. Obviously Mike being seated several feet away, and the cb crossing the 12 ball impairs his vision, and this combined with Efren's hand gesture created Mike's judgement call on this shot!

I've had this very same call made by an opponent, where he accused me of making a foul in which I did not. That is probably why I posted this, among other reasons!
Efren, handled this like the true champion he is! Whitey

Yeah Whitey, I watched this match several weeks ago and I thought about putting up a post about it, like you did - but I procrastinated and never did.

Like you said, Mike Medley acted waay out of line during this match...and I couldn't believe my ears when he called Efren, Efren of all people, a cheater - unfukkingbelievable...

And if you replay the shot of Efren's, like I did, you can see that Efren's shot was totally a good hit on the 12ball, not a scratch...but Efren spots up a ball anyway just to avoid a confrontation with the horse's-ass Medley - I wish Efren wouldn't have given in to him.

- Ghost

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
That certainly was not ideal. In the grand scheme of things it will never mean much in pool though unfortunately.

Efren has probably had his share of digressions as well, some guys have lots more than others of course.

I don't hold this stuff against guys unless it is clearly a pattern. There is more money in pocket pinball than there is in pool, so I never blame these guys. The top players should make 5 million and they really make $500 after expenses.... if they have a good showing.

beatle

Verified Member
it moved but i think the old guy might have had some kind of prejudice or something else that bothered him about efrin previous to playing. a pent up release of this thoughts.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have known Mike for about 50 years , he's a really good guy, nothing but respect for him. There must be more to this than whats on the surface.
I'm not saying anything against Efren either , never had anything but extreme respect for him also.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
to give him the benefit of the doubt and say if he was having breathing problems and was in pain that will make ass's out of all of us. I hope this is the case since efren was such a gentleman over it and ended up winning I would guess efren doesn't even remember it and was over any disrespect before they shook hands

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Obviously Efren thought that he could see the 2 but grazed the 12 with the CB so the shot looks legit to me given that the CB hit the cushion. Efren was on the line of the shot - Mike had every right to ask him whether he hit the 12 but not accuse him of cheating. Very poor sportsmanship in this case imho. If he is a really good guy as Billy says he would have apologised to Efren by now which maybe he did.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I so love that him being such an ass gets to live on in YouTube for him.
If more of my learning experiences like that had been documented for all to see I'd probably be a much better person. Or more of an a-hole. Who knows.

Great examples set by two of our greats, though.
Efren doesn't bother arguing and just wins instead.
JJ's commentary, as always, stayed professional and chalked Mike's behavior up to 'not really necessary' and spun it as 'gotta love the competitive spirit though'.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited: