efren/shane make it happen game #3

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Efren has amazing touch for that kind of shot! That reminds me of seeing him masse around an object ball on the foot rail -- from snug up on one side of the ball, to snug up on the other side of the ball -- without having to take a foul because he got ball/rail! That was at DCC back when Efren won every One pOcket he entered.

Steve, a number of years back I saw him do this same exact shot as you described against Jack Perkins. That shot completely changed that game around from Jack's advantage to Efren's.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It looks to me like he left SVB straight in on the eight ball. If the two balls are frozen is it correct that he can shoot straight though the shot in this tournament? And if he is allowed to shoot straight through, are there limitations to the stroke he uses?

Tom
Good question. The rule today the way I interpret it is that if the cue ball is frozen to the OB you can push through the shot, as long as it's a continuous stroke. But what i'm not sure of and don't know if there is a rule on it or not is ...if the cue ball is frozen to a ball that's frozen to another ball or a group of balls is it still a legal shot to push through the shot? There's something about moving more than one ball by pushing through a shot that doesn't sit right with me, if you know what I mean.;):sorry

Maybe Steve or someone else can clarify that for whoever is interested.

Dr. Bill

piggybank04

Verified Member
id like to know this too, as its come up several times in my op games, and i steer clear of it as im not sure what the rule is regarding this kind of shot attempt......

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I don't know the rule, but if you're frozen you can't hit it twice. :)
Rod.
P.S. Unless your stroke is much longer than mine.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It looks to me like he left SVB straight in on the eight ball. If the two balls are frozen is it correct that he can shoot straight though the shot in this tournament? And if he is allowed to shoot straight through, are there limitations to the stroke he uses? Tom

Here are the two pertinent WPA international rules. Our own rules defer to these when a situation is not covered. I believe these rules are also used at DCC and U.S. Open 1P. Check with the ref to make sure.;) ~Doc

6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls

If the cue stick contacts the cue ball more than once on a shot, the shot is a foul. If the cue ball is close to but not touching an object ball and the cue tip is still on the cue ball when the cue ball contacts that object ball, the shot is a foul. If the cue ball is very close to an object ball, and the shooter barely grazes that object ball on the shot, the shot is assumed not to violate the first paragraph of this rule, even though the tip is arguably still on the cue ball when ball-ball contact is made.

However, if the cue ball is touching an object ball at the start of the shot, it is legal to shoot towards or partly into that ball (provided it is a legal target within the rules of the game) and if the object ball is moved by such a shot, it is considered to have been contacted by the cue ball. (Even though it may be legal to shoot towards such a touching or “frozen” ball, care must be taken not to violate the rules in the first paragraph if there are additional balls close by.)
The cue ball is assumed not to be touching any ball unless it is declared touching by the referee or opponent. It is the shooter’s responsibility to get the declaration before the shot. Playing away from a frozen ball does not constitute having hit that ball unless specified in the rules of the game.

6.8 Push Shot

It is a foul to prolong tip-to-cue-ball contact beyond that seen in normal shots.