Do You Rack Your Own

yobagua

Do you rack for yourself on your break? I noticed this has been the trend. The other day I saw an old timer stop a young guy from racking his own break and the old timer wouldnt let him. He said that wasnt the way he was brought up to play the game. I have learned to tilt the rack slightly so the corner ball will float right into your pocket. Not that I would use it in a game and always expect my opponents to check my rack anyway. OH NO......

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Provided all balls are frozen and square to the table, I don't care who racks.
I rack, I would expect you to check.
You rack, I check.

Troy

vagabond

Verified Member
From
Interstate 40/or Interstate 10
universal Rule-bottom Line

universal Rule-bottom Line

yobagua said:
Do you rack for yourself on your break? I noticed this has been the trend. The other day I saw an old timer stop a young guy from racking his own break and the old timer wouldnt let him. He said that wasnt the way he was brought up to play the game. I have learned to tilt the rack slightly so the corner ball will float right into your pocket. Not that I would use it in a game and always expect my opponents to check my rack anyway. OH NO......

Howdy Yobagua,
It all depends on how two gentleman agree upon before the start of the play/match.Usually I am not into arguments/negotiations/hagling/bargaining/manipulation/verbal sparring/heckling.I follow the rules set by the higher authority of the time.I tell those rules to my opponent.If he/she/it did not agree ,I do not play with that person and the case is closed.Cheers
Vagabond

Last edited:

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Racking

Racking

I don't think a "higher authority" has made a definite statement in the rules either way on who racks... :)

Troy
vagabond said:
Howdy Yobagua,
It all depends on how two gentleman agree upon before the start of the play/match.Usually I am not into arguments/negotiations/hagling/bargaining/manipulation/verbal sparring/heckling.I follow the rules set by the higher authority of the time.I tell those rules to my opponent.If he/she/it did not agree ,I do not play with that person and the case is closed.Cheers
Vagabond

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
I must have had a senior moment, Iment Earl Strickland ran 11 racks & racked last few

I must have had a senior moment, Iment Earl Strickland ran 11 racks & racked last few

I am getting mixed up in my old age,Earl won the $$ on 9 ball chalange for Mil/not mike!! 9 on the break 11 in a row,WOW I was there!! A good player that loves 1 pocket is Tommy Ray, he plays with a lot of CLASS!! I don,t see any of the Dallas boys on this site. C.J.s was a lot of fun?? I miss it , B.J. :(

yobagua

Lets get back to one pocket and the question. Do you rather rack your own or rack for your opponent?

davAmundo

Verified Member
No debate for me here...

No debate for me here...

I would prefer to rack my own, with the full expectation that the opponent will inspect the rack once I am finished to make sure there isn't any "tilting" going on. We play "rack your own" in 9-ball too. At least if someone is putting a 6-pack on you, you can *rest* a little bit... :eek:

Echo

From
Columbia Missouri
Rack your own or not it does not matter in one p

Rack your own or not it does not matter in one p

Racking in nine ball and one pocket are two entirely different things. In one pocket of course the negotiations before come into play unless you know the person well and respect each other, then the negotiations are forgone. We still inspect the racks wheather or not you or your opponant is racking. In nine ball and there is a little riding on the game my opponant had better rack correctly or he forfits the game and maybe the match. No ifs and buts about it. The rules are set to make the game fun and competitive.

davAmundo

Verified Member
Echo said:
Racking in nine ball and one pocket are two entirely different things. In one pocket of course the negotiations before come into play unless you know the person well and respect each other, then the negotiations are forgone. We still inspect the racks wheather or not you or your opponant is racking. In nine ball and there is a little riding on the game my opponant had better rack correctly or he forfits the game and maybe the match. No ifs and buts about it. The rules are set to make the game fun and competitive.

I don't really see it as two totally different situations. Racking for yourself in either game can be advantageous, whether it is rotating the rack in one pocket to direct the path of the balls, or moving the rack forward/backward or rotating in nine-ball to make one of the corner balls fall. I'm not saying that I practice any of these, but clearly the rack has aspects that can be used - thus the need/opportunity for inspection by the opponent.

Because we typically use the "winner racks" convention where I play here in Charleston, there are never any arguments about one person "racking" another. If the rack is poor, it is the breakers fault, because he/she did it.

As to forfeiting the game/match for a bad rack - I've never seen that tried before. Maybe you could come here and tell Big Sam or Fat Mel that they just lost the match because their rack was not up to your standards...hehe

DavAmundo

Echo

From
Columbia Missouri
to Clarify

to Clarify

I'm not saying that it itsn't advantagous or that in one pocket or nine ball you don't have to inspect the rack. I do everytime. When my opponent makes a mistake racking by tiliting the rack in one pocket or gives a better percent chance for the nine in nine ball, I use it to my advantage. I am simply stating that when my opponent high racks me, I ask for a re-rack or do it myself. More drastic measures come then after.

ajrack

Verified Member
From
Vancouver USA
CJ"s

CJ"s

bjspivey said:
I am getting mixed up in my old age,Earl won the $$ on 9 ball chalange for Mil/not mike!! 9 on the break 11 in a row,WOW I was there!! A good player that loves 1 pocket is Tommy Ray, he plays with a lot of CLASS!! I don,t see any of the Dallas boys on this site. C.J.s was a lot of fun?? I miss it , B.J. :(
Is C J's closed?
I haven't been in TX for quite a while..

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
C.J,s

C.J,s

NOOOO! I,ve moved to Longview,120 mi away,he has 2 rooms now ! I just miss all the action there. There was alwas action, one-pocket games always as Tommy Ray,C.J.,Max,Black larry,Superstroke,Jason,Ben,whatever pro player that came through town. you could see any onethere, any given day! I,m just out of pocket!!! B.J. :D