Dcc DeRuyter vs Jason Miller

unoperro

Verified Member
This is a pretty good match. Tim mostly exercized good cueball control,good moving,and straight shooting. Jason did a little moving and made a few nifty banks.
Question is in the second game Jason is running out,needs 2,and he banks this 3 with speed holding up whitey. Bank comes back tight and he has sold out.
This bank looks very easy to cross over and stay safe. What do you guys think?Screenshot_20200423-120045_YouTube.jpg

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I thought so too.
I have met Jason a few times and sweated a lot of his matches , after one match at the Derby for first place in the Banks Division he shot a cross corner bank that could have been hit pocket speed and if missed been about 95% safe , he whacked it in the hole and when I asked him about it , he said , you are probably right, but I I never even thought about what happens if I miss!
I think thats part of being a great player. It's funny you brought this video up, I just watched it yesterday and was very impressed with how well Tim played. I never heard of him before but I sure like his game. Jason played pretty well in this match but he had 3 or 4 unforced errors , too many with a legit player.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Never mind, I wasnt thinking straight...lol I would have went with the cross too unless it looked weird/ kissy at the rable

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
It was clear to me that Jason was going to be a great player after watching/playing against him in the 80's at Airways Billiards in Dayton.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The stripe next to the 3 would have been the better shot, so he must not have been able to see the full ball. He may have been trying to draw back a little from the 3 ball to get the stripe next. It looks to me like if he went through the 3, it would kiss. Usually on a Diamond that bank is nearly straight ahead, because it shortens up. And as you say, it came back short, so he must have cut it a little, or used some inside spin.

If the opponent got a shot from there, the shooter must have hit the bank too hard, which caused it to go too far off the 2nd rail. He may have tried to "stiffen" the bank, which caused to come too short.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Lots of players feel that they are more accurate and make more banks "with speed". But, obviously, speed adds risk and speed sometimes kills.

In OP, I feel for amateurs and even for pros that "pocket speed " is the best choice. You may actually make fewer banks, but as the saying goes "close counts in OP", and you will rarely sell out. OP players should strive to bank at pocket speed. :)

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I don't mean to come across wrong here; but to hear talk about what is the best speed for banks seems to say, somehow, that a bank shot is different from other shots in that the only thing that matters is the object ball.

The right speed for a bank shot is whatever speed the shot calls for. This includes CB control.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bank shots certainly are different from other shots. They are harder to make, and thus less dependable in continuing a run, and because a missed bank is more likely to be disastrous. At more than pocket speed, it will almost surely cross the table. And the object ball is NOT the only thing that matters in one pocket.

I don't mean to come across wrong here; but to hear talk about what is the best speed for banks seems to say, somehow, that a bank shot is different from other shots in that the only thing that matters is the object ball.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

The right speed for a bank shot is whatever speed the shot calls for. This includes CB control.

Of course you do. As is the case with some, taking the most extreme interpretation of of another"s words, in order to be critical, is perfectly obvious.

I did not say to always bank at pocket speed. I did not say that the OB is the only thing that matters.

I did say that "OP players should strive to bank at pocket speed". "Striving" for anything takes into account other mitigating factors that may tend to work against the objective, which ought to be obvious to just about everyone.

I apologize for failing to take into account those without intuitive understanding. I could have spoken more precisely for you. :rolleyes:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
They are harder to make,
Harder to make than... what? There are any number of shots I would find more difficult than (some) bank shots.
less dependable in continuing a run
But if the table requires a bank shot - it requires a bank shot.(?) A bank shot in one pocket is like using your feet to take a walk.
missed bank is more likely to be disastrous
Than what? Any 'missed' shot is likely to be trouble ('missed' for the purposes of this topic being - failed to get the results expected).
At more than pocket speed, it will almost surely cross the table.
A bank at something more than pocket speed does not mean it has to cross the whole table - and coming off a rail a ways, might be acceptable in some situations.
the object ball is NOT the only thing that matters
You seem intent on being argumentative, rather than communicating ideas - where did I say that? My point was; even during a bank shot - it is important to play the CB as well.

In a nutshell; the point of my statement is that a bank shot, like any shot, must be played as the shot requires. A proficient player must be able to make adjustments to play a slow bank or hard bank: how the CB plays is a significant factor on what will be chosen.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Of course you do. As is the case with some, taking the most extreme interpretation of of another"s words, in order to be critical, is perfectly obvious.
No, I didn't, which is why I specifically said as much.
In this forum, I try to treat everyone with respect and not bring personal animosities.
I was just trying to make an observation and would have welcomed respectful counter-posts or clarifications.

What I posted did not quote anyone and was not meant to target any specific posts, but only discuss concepts of play.

I am not going to engage in a personality skirmish in this forum. If you want to attack me, please feel free to take it to the Cafe.
(my apologies et al.)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yep, I was being argumentative - I'm afraid you and I have different concepts of this game. Rather than debate it further, I believe I will move along to other threads. Wash your hands and be well, pal.