Cue...hard or soft hit

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Like many here, I am a former rotation player and I liked a firm hitting cue for those games. Now as I delve deeper into the 1P abyss I am questioning whether I should be looking for a softer hit.

What are you preferences and why?

Hardmix

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Like many here, I am a former rotation player and I liked a firm hitting cue for those games. Now as I delve deeper into the 1P abyss I am questioning whether I should be looking for a softer hit.

Hardmix

Hello Ben,
Hope you're doing great...

I assume you are talking about tips here, not shafts, and if so, here's my .02 cents worth...

I recently switched to a layered tip. Kamui black soft.. I was tempted to go with the next one down, the super soft..

I'm happy with it, it seems a better all around fit, I'm now in a league that plays 8 ball and I'm fooling around with 10 ball occasionally, but mostly still trying to learn how to stay down on the shot playing any game...

The Kamui soft seems to miscue much less and handles extremes in English very well... Draw shots are easier, with less power required.. I played with milk dudes for the last 1 1/2 years, but I think I like this new tip better.

Glad to see you're still at the nor pocket, it's definitely a challenge learning it..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I dont know a whole lot about the different tips but I am petty sure I am using a Moori right now and I am almost in the market for a new tip so I am looking for suggestions too :)

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Hey Jeff, All is good here, I trust the same for you. I am playing quite a bit and staying in action. Concerning the hit on the cues, I am talking about the total package or any portion thereof; joint, shaft, farel, and tip.

Currently I am playing with a Mezz with a WD700 shaft and a Zan medium tip. This set up plays pretty firm and the tip will miscue from time to time with extreme english.:mad:

Hardmix

beatle

Verified Member
the miscues come from not chalking right or when using lots of english but hitting poorly and going to far out..

when you use extreme english and almost never needed and you hit a tiny bit too far you get a miscue no matter what tip you have on.

if you miscue more than a couple times a year than your striking of the cueball is not precise enough

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I recently switched to a layered tip. Kamui black soft.. I was tempted to go with the next one down, the super soft..

I'm happy with it, it seems a better all around fit, I'm now in a league that plays 8 ball and I'm fooling around with 10 ball occasionally, but mostly still trying to learn how to stay down on the shot playing any game...

The Kamui soft seems to miscue much less and handles extremes in English very well... Draw shots are easier, with less power required.. I played with milk dudes for the last 1 1/2 years, but I think I like this new tip better.
Jeff, if you haven't tried the Ultra Skin layered tips, give them a whirl. And they're only 1/3 the price of Kamui's. I used to use the Kamui soft, but my cue guy put on an Ultra Skin soft, and I can't tell the difference. Reportedly they're 9 layers.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Jeff, if you haven't tried the Ultra Skin layered tips, give them a whirl. And they're only 1/3 the price of Kamui's. I used to use the Kamui soft, but my cue guy put on an Ultra Skin soft, and I can't tell the difference. Reportedly they're 9 layers.

~Doc

They're made from dildo material, what can be bad about that. ?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i'm often interested in what great players use as tips. last i knew bernie plays with a supersoft kamui brown, last i knew brumback plays a moori (maybe it’s a medium or slow)....maybe i'm wrong but don't think so....tend to remember stuff like that. louis demarco recently put cloth and rails on my table, said he was currently hitting with a G2 medium….think efren plays with a doctored up elk master (they get harder than whore’s heart over time)….

i was convinced by a very good player that i needed to play a softer tip…hit with it for a couple months this summer…on my way back from new orleans, called josh treadway (before i even hit the mississippi line), was in his shop the next day getting kamui brown hards put back on my shafts…..

i think it’s what is good for you and what you are used to…..what you are confident and can spin it with…..

as lll says....jmho

:)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
i'm often interested in what great players use as tips. last i knew bernie plays with a supersoft kamui brown, last i knew brumback plays a moori (maybe it’s a medium or slow)....maybe i'm wrong but don't think so....tend to remember stuff like that. louis demarco recently put cloth and rails on my table, said he was currently hitting with a G2 medium….think efren plays with a doctored up elk master (they get harder than whore’s heart over time)….

i was convinced by a very good player that i needed to play a softer tip…hit with it for a couple months this summer…on my way back from new orleans, called josh treadway (before i even hit the mississippi line), was in his shop the next day getting kamui brown hards put back on my shafts…..

i think it’s what is good for you and what you are used to…..what you are confident and can spin it with…..

as lll says....jmho

:)

I think you are exactly right about playing with a tip that works for you and that you trust to shoot any shot with...

Old schoolers like Buddy Hall, James Christopher and myself always played with milk duds... They seemed to last forever because they got so hard yet would scuff up nicely and hold chalk very well. On the road, it wasn't easy to find a milk dud, or a person to put one on for you... So all of us carried a couple of spares...

Most common tips used back then were LePro, Elkmaster, and Triangle if memory serves me.. All the house cues had Elkmasters on them because they were cheap and easy to get... LePro was played by a lot of the top players, but they were, ( and still are ) so inconsistent in quality... Out of a box of 50, you might get about 5 that's wouldn't mushroom out of control...

Now there are 100's of tips to choose from, and most are made with very close tolerances in uniformity, so it's easier now to find a tip you really like and be able to buy a dozen more that are almost exactly the same...

I really like a tip that feels like a balata golf ball when struck pure, if you know what I mean... A tip that seems to have the ability to compress ever so slightly into the CB and hold on a fraction longer, thereby giving more feel to the stroke...

This Kamui soft feels good, and I'm going to have the super soft put on another shaft just to see how it hits... That won't be a true test, because the shafts aren't the same, one has a little more deflection than the other and aren't made by the same manufacturer, however it should give me a good idea of its playability...

Sounds made when striking a shot have always meant a lot to me... I can't stand a cue that clanks or makes any metallic type sound.. I like to hear a consistent and solid thump no matter what the speed or where the CB happens to be struck...

I'm not a cue maker, nor do I ever want to be, and I don't know what all goes into the different parts of a jointed cue stick that make it deliver that consistent thump, I just know that when I hit one or two shots with a cue, I either like it or I don't, instantly I know if it feels good, it's always been that way for me, I wonder how others judge a cue?

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
Cue...hard or soft hit

I like soft tips because I like to hit it soft...principle of least effort kinda guy. I use Kamui super soft clear. They can put a lot of spin on the ball. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but it just depends how you can control it. Switching anything is hard, especially for bad adjusters like me.

At DCC I was about to get one put on and overheard Danny Smith talking to Joe Blackburn about wanting to reduce the amount of spin.

This got me to thinking (not always a good thing either) so I had a soft put on instead of a super soft and I regret it. I sometimes struggle now putting enough spin of the shot because I'm used to not trying so hard to do it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like soft tips because I like to hit it soft...principle of least effort kinda guy. I use Kamui super soft clear. They can put a lot of spin on the ball. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but it just depends how you can control it. Switching anything is hard, especially for bad adjusters like me.

At DCC I was about to get one put on and overheard Danny Smith talking to Joe Blackburn about wanting to reduce the amount of spin.

This got me to thinking (not always a good thing either) so I had a soft put on instead of a super soft and I regret it. I sometimes struggle now putting enough spin of the shot because I'm used to not trying so hard to do it.
i think pro players with strong strokes dont need the tip to help them get spin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Hardmix
i think the "hit " comes alot from the tip/shaft in that sequence
you could argue that flat faced wood to wood and stainless steel joints are "stiffer" than ivory joints
but i think the tip and shaft will make more of a difference than the joint
that being said
the type of tip you use which gives you the type of "action " you can control
is the tip for you
personally i use g2 soft or moorri soft
i like the feel and that they hold chalk well and grip the cue ball well
thats just me and could be great or horrible for someone else
to hardmix
i dont think you need to buy a new cue or have a special shaft for one pocket and one for rotation games
jmho
icbw

youngstown

Verified Member
Cue...hard or soft hit

i think pro players with strong strokes dont need the tip to help them get spin

Agreed, for some it may be easier to hit it harder, but some ppl even with stronger stroke may choose to just back off their stroke. Different strokes for different blokes, my good man.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I think you are exactly right about playing with a tip that works for you and that you trust to shoot any shot with...

Old schoolers like Buddy Hall, James Christopher and myself always played with milk duds... They seemed to last forever because they got so hard yet would scuff up nicely and hold chalk very well. On the road, it wasn't easy to find a milk dud, or a person to put one on for you... So all of us carried a couple of spares...

Most common tips used back then were LePro, Elkmaster, and Triangle if memory serves me.. All the house cues had Elkmasters on them because they were cheap and easy to get... LePro was played by a lot of the top players, but they were, ( and still are ) so inconsistent in quality... Out of a box of 50, you might get about 5 that's wouldn't mushroom out of control...

Now there are 100's of tips to choose from, and most are made with very close tolerances in uniformity, so it's easier now to find a tip you really like and be able to buy a dozen more that are almost exactly the same...

I really like a tip that feels like a balata golf ball when struck pure, if you know what I mean... A tip that seems to have the ability to compress ever so slightly into the CB and hold on a fraction longer, thereby giving more feel to the stroke...

This Kamui soft feels good, and I'm going to have the super soft put on another shaft just to see how it hits... That won't be a true test, because the shafts aren't the same, one has a little more deflection than the other and aren't made by the same manufacturer, however it should give me a good idea of its playability...

Sounds made when striking a shot have always meant a lot to me... I can't stand a cue that clanks or makes any metallic type sound.. I like to hear a consistent and solid thump no matter what the speed or where the CB happens to be struck...

I'm not a cue maker, nor do I ever want to be, and I don't know what all goes into the different parts of a jointed cue stick that make it deliver that consistent thump, I just know when I hit one or two shots with a cue, whether I like it or not...it's always been that way for me, I wonder how others judge a cue?

i grew up playing with lepros. they just had that right "sound" or "thump" you mention. lacking that "thump" think the kamui brown hards feel similar....(i think the browns are a lot softer than the blacks and don't graze over). my biggest gripe about the layered tips is just how freakishly tall they are (lepros are short tips, triangles were taller and harder than hell)....i like at least half of that layered tip lopped off....

a good lepro seemed to last forever. probably get a new tip put on every 6-8 months or so now.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
i grew up playing with lepros. they just had that right "sound" or "thump" you mention. lacking that "thump" think the kamui brown hards feel similar....(i think the browns are a lot softer than the blacks and don't graze over). my biggest gripe about the layered tips is just how freakishly tall they are (lepros are short tips, triangles were taller and harder than hell)....i like at least half of that layered tip lopped off....

a good lepro seemed to last forever. probably get a new tip put on every 6-8 months or so now.

Like you, I didn't care for the thickness of the Kamui tip, I used to like a tip better and better as it wore down to nothing. However knowing this is a layered tip and prone to wearing out faster than other tips, I left it alone and now i just don't let it bother me. I'm beginning to feel very comfortable with it and have not miscued a single time.

I took Docs advice on an Ultra Skin soft... I'm having one put on a spare shaft I have.. Allen Green is a local cue maker and loves to play pool on Fridays at Clicks where Rodney plays and he was there yesterday so I just asked him if he would put one on for me. He uses them a lot on the cues he sells, says they are good tips. We'll see...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
LePros! That as the name of those old tips I used to use...thanks for reminding me of that name!

I may try one of those Ultra Skin Softs that Doc mentioned too. Let me know how you like it Jeff, thanks!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Another variable is whether or not a hollow shaft is used, e.g. OB1, OB2, Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc.:) The hollow end shafts mask the sharp hit feel of a hard tip. When using an OB1 it was not obvious that they use a standard hard tip (i.e. Tiger or Everest). But there was no noticeable difference in deflection or spin capacity when later re-tipping with moori, Kamui, etc. So all this time I'd felt that a hard tip wouldn't be very effective for me. But it had been...:rolleyes:

~Doc