Corner ball leaking out on the break

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
If the corner ball leaks out on the break, I have found the problem is not with the placement of the cue ball. It is with the rack. When breaking from the right side of the rack, I make sure the 2nd and 3rd balls on the left side are frozen to each other. If they are not frozen, the 2nd ball sends its energy to the balls on the right side and the end ball leaks out. These are the only two balls I pay attention to on the break. Let me know if it works for you.

PS. I place the cue ball approximately 5 inches from the right long rail on the head string and use left English.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I tried on my table to replicate leaving the far side 2nd and 3rd ball a little loose upon each other, but my table has the ball imprint so the balls only rack frozen, I could not get them to separate.
There was a thread on this when I first became a member back in '17 and I believe the same was stated, the far side being loose.

I hope these guys take it to the table to confirm or not your assertion. I find it very interesting!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
I tried on my table to replicate leaving the far side 2nd and 3rd ball a little loose upon each other, but my table has the ball imprint so the balls only rack frozen, I could not get them to separate.
There was a thread on this when I first became a member back in '17 and I believe the same was stated, the far side being loose.

I hope these guys take it to the table to confirm or not your assertion.
thanks, Whitey
Move your rack a couple inches up the table to a non imprinted spot and try it... it may be good to know when on a different table

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Move your rack a couple inches up the table to a non imprinted spot and try it... it may be good to know when on a different table
Well, yes, I have tried moving it a little bit, but still they go back. But, you gave me an idea. I could rack them where a spot would be on a 9' table, which is 4" behind my spot. I could also mark with chalk on the foot rail where the jaw of the corner pocket would be on a 9' foot pocket. That way I could see how close the cb comes to the corner pocket.

This would also help my thread on positioning of the cb. For on 3/4 diamond away from the rail I use just above center but I theorized that more above center is probably needed on a 9' table.

You can tell I never hit any balls on a 9' table, LOL!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I find your rack theory very interesting, and it could be very highly probable. For when I was playing for real, I played 10's upon 10's of thousands of games of 9 ball. I knew in racking if I left this ball loose upon this ball then I can make this ball, if I move the cb and then break from this position.
I knew how to make three different balls within the rack of 9-ball depending on how they were racked. When I first started watching 9-ball online and a guy went up and checked the rack, I said to myself he is checking for a loose ball, but now days they want the rack tight so they make the corner ball, they even check with a template rack.

But anyway, it is very bad for the game of 9-ball to have the shooter rack their own. Tournaments only do it to same time, the racking is faster plus it really increases the odds of making a ball on the break, which in turn speeds up the tournament. 10 ball racks are being also being manipulated.
Whitey

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Rack your own for all games is far better in my opinion, racks can get manipulated either way. As long as you can't win off of the break, RYO is less prone to causing issues.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, yes, I have tried moving it a little bit, but still they go back. But, you gave me an idea. I could rack them where a spot would be on a 9' table, which is 4" behind my spot. I could also mark with chalk on the foot rail where the jaw of the corner pocket would be on a 9' foot pocket. That way I could see how close the cb comes to the corner pocket.
Rack 'em on the other end of the table. I do that on my 9', just to give me 4 different variations on the break shot.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I was able to move the rack 3" below my spot to emulate a 9'break, and adjusted the cb position accordingly. I broke from 1/2 diamond from the side rail, and I left the far side 2nd and 3rd ball with a gap, and the corner ball on 3 out of 6 breaks sold out big time. I believe I hit the head ball fairly thin, an appropriate good hit. One break the corner ball was heading directly into the opponents pocket.

So I would say you are on to something, and something to be aware of!

I do not loose the corner ball, for I just did 20 breaks and lost the corner ball once, and I believe that was caused by a bad hit, but that loss of the corner ball was different than these, these popped directly out, so it shocked me how readily it popped!
I hope others participate!
thanks so much! Whitey

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Trying to emulate a 9' on a 10' for this purpose is Not useful.

I'll just give one Big element. You Can Not change the width of the table!!! 5'x10'/4'6"x9'. 1' longer, 6" wider. You can move the rack down, move the CB closer, it's Not going to help with this test. You have to move the rack head spot 24" from end rail, because the table is 1' longer. Then have to place the CB, 6x12"=72" from the center of corner pocket on the long rail break end. Now the CB would be at the 6th diamond line as on a 9' table.

On a 10' table the diamonds are 14" apart on a 9' they are 12" apart.

But, you can never get rid of the 5' width!

Plus, I'm not sure, but, I think the angle the CB from off the long rail goes into the stack is more obtuse than on a 9' table. Even though they are both twice as long as wide.

Last edited: