things are slow
remember not all wwyd is an OMG shot
here is a situation after the break
1st game of the match
wwyd
dc1.jpg

unoperro

Verified Member
Seriously that is a great layout for Danny's 4 rail kick.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
With the four rail kick shot you may not be able to hit the eight ball because of the seven ball being in the way. Or you may get on the wrong side of the eight. So with that kick you may just have to get behind the seven but this way is simpler.
simple.jpg

OPBEAST

Verified Member
Hit the isolated stripe ball with bottom and slide down the rail behind the 3 balls by my opponents pockets and wait for a better positional shot.

keoneyo

Verified Member
With the four rail kick shot you may not be able to hit the eight ball because of the seven ball being in the way. Or you may get on the wrong side of the eight. So with that kick you may just have to get behind the seven but this way is simpler.
View attachment 11775

I like your shot Frank but do you think you could use left English and come off the short rail to hit the four and end up in almost the same place? So you don't have to take a scratch.

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would kick the cue ball one long rail and try to hit the outside of the seven. Even if you slide by the seven you should end up close to the 8 on the bottom rail in a safe position... even if it costs you a foul.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hit the isolated stripe ball with bottom and slide down the rail behind the 3 balls by my opponents pockets and wait for a better positional shot.

Yes, that's me. Just glad CB didn't get on the rail... then I think I'd 4-rail into the 7, not the 8.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like your shot Frank but do you think you could use left English and come off the short rail to hit the four and end up in almost the same place? So you don't have to take a scratch.

I thought of that but if I didn't get behind the seven,I would be concerned with giving up a bank on the 14 ball. That's my only protection from allowing him to do as he wishes. Here I thought it's better to take the scratch. Too many balls at stake.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I thought of that but if I didn't get behind the seven,I would be concerned with giving up a bank on the 14 ball. That's my only protection from allowing him to do as he wishes. Here I thought it's better to take the scratch. Too many balls at stake.

I agree, Frank. It took me a long time to decide that a better chance of getting the CB where I needed it was often worth a lot more than a ball.

keoneyo

Verified Member

Yes youre right I think its the correct shot. Even though the ball on the short rail kinda protects from the bank but you would end up with problems if he did have the 14 ball bank. Any other shot in my opinion is not profitable.

unoperro

Verified Member
View attachment 11775

Frank my thinking is 4 rails into the 7.

Cue ball ends up behind the 8.

Table does sit good for this.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In this type of situation there are several obvious positions to end up in with the cue ball that would limit your opponent with good return options. They are either..in the stack...near the foot rail (behind the 8ball)...or behind a ball like where the 7ball is positioned. Now that we understand where we need to be the problem is first, the accessibility in getting there, and then the easiest and safest option, in terms of the execution of the shot.

The..in the stack option..doesn't look like there's one available, however, from the angle we're looking from at times are deceiving. Lets assume there are none available.

The.. bottom rail option..This option has it's problems with the execution and the accessibility of the choice. You can possibly get to the bottom rail by either "drawing" off the stripe by the side pocket and float down to the bottom rail, however, this method is problematic and difficult to execute. Another possible way to get to the bottom rail would be to kick off the top rail and go toward the pocket with good direction and speed. This option is not that accessible and risky. The other possibility would then be to kick "Four cushions" not much room for error coming off the third cushion creating huge accessibility problems.

The final option then would be to try to position the cue ball ..in back of the 7ball.. This option is accessible and easy to execute, however to get there it's committing to take an intentional. You can possibly get there in two ways. You can kick "three cushions" and with good speed and direction end up in back of the 7ball. Not much of a problem with the accessibility with this choice but the speed may be a problem, in terms of "locking up your opponent" The other method used to get there would be with Frank's option. Frank's option is simple to execute in both direction and speed (for the most part) providing it's an accessible route.

In this situation I would lean heavily with Frank's option, I believe that assuring yourself of this type of leave in a situation where a mistake could very easily cost you the game, the loss of a ball taking an intentional far out weighs the benefits you can pick up with the other..some what risky options.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
^^^^^^^^
tap...tap for the analysis dr.bill
very logical and well thought out
i need to continue to train myself to approach the table with such an objective
approach when deciding "what should I do now?"
darren did indeed shoot the shot frank saw ,,,,good eye frank,,,,:)
he hit it with perfect speed and accuracy
look how the cue ball is pretty close to froze to the 7
franks diagram is alittle cleaner than mine.......:eek:
dz2.jpg

dc3.jpg

OPBEAST

Verified Member
I dont see any 'imminent danger' here.

I feel an intentional scratch is only warranted when you have NO options left in the bag.

Let's say you do take the intentional and put him on the back of the 7 ball, if he puts you back to the original cueball position, then what??

You do this 1 more time and then you're on 2 first.

Now what do you then?

If you think of something 'creative' when youre on 2, you should think that same way when not on anything.

If he puts him on the back of the 7 ball, I think the incoming player might bank the stripe ball back to his pocket and move the cueball far to your side of the table.

Now he has another threat by his pocket and the cueball is potentially in a worse spot.

Just my 1.5 cents...still learning.:heh

Excuse the bad drawing. I dropped out of 2nd grade art class...lol.

OPBEAST

Verified Member
^^^^^^^^
tap...tap for the analysis dr.bill
very logical and well thought out
i need to continue to train myself to approach the table with such an objective
approach when deciding "what should I do now?"
darren did indeed shoot the shot frank saw ,,,,good eye frank,,,,:)
he hit it with perfect speed and accuracy
look how the cue ball is pretty close to froze to the 7
franks diagram is alittle cleaner than mine.......:eek:
View attachment 11778

View attachment 11779

Well if thats what happened after, that was executed perfectly.

But now I see, Chip skimming off the 8 and putting the cueball back in the same position with the 8 ball better in play.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well if thats what happened after, that was executed perfectly.

But now I see, Chip skimming off the 8 and putting the cueball back in the same position with the 8 ball better in play.

Darren played a very good shot and most likely will get rewarded for it in some way. There's no guarantee that Chip will answer Darren's shot choice with a good or bad one in return, however, Darren has worked himself out of immediate danger and has put the onus back on Chip. Remember..nothing beats a failure but a try.

By the way, when playing off the key boards the game just seems to play easier, however, Darren played his shot at the table, lets see how well Chip does at the table, i'm thinking it won't be as easy as your return from the key board.

Dr. Bill