Best One Pocket Commentators?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Just curious who you all think is great. I personally am a fan of Billys but I believe everyone is. I have enjoyed Jeremy Jones and also think our own Bernie Pettipiece does a fine job too.

I agree re. Bernie - he does an excellent job commentating.

I think my opinion is pretty valid here as I
watch a LOT of one one pocket.

Billy Incardona is really good - like the title of his video, he plays great "common sense one pocket." I love his evaluation of the intangibles on the table, such as momentum, streak and attitude and player's demeanors. Like DCC masters of the table, Billy has no weakness in the booth. I could go on and on, but we all know and love his insight and expertise.

Grady - Grady is really good for many reasons, and one is his recognition of straight pool strategies and shots. Grady also understands traps and how to start and break them as well as anyone ever. He played the game so often his commentary was near sterling. The "professor-like" style of speech and vocabulary was truly classy and even a bit funny at times.

Danny DiLiberto - Danny also has his own inimitable style of joking and storytelling. Almost like Corey Deuel, he has a creative knack for picking out shots, some of which are too aggressive for the situation, however. Danny is also served by his straight pool abilities in the booth and his emphasis on studying the pack is legendary. While he can gel with other superstars in the booth, he can also devolve into abrasiveness and argumentativemess.

Dave Maddux - Dave seems to understand the game quite well and has a refreshing attitude in the booth. He teams up nicely with Billy Gibbs these days.

Freddie - I personally love Freddie's commentary and very heady analysis. I have always wondered if we are "hearing" Artie's game in his commentary. At any rate, even a short listen will let you know his 1p IQ is crazy high. His shot selection and critiques are always right on.

Varner - I can listen to Varner nonstop. While some may feel he plays too defensively, it is hard to argue he's not one of the top ten players of the last 30 years. His "chair game" and never-say-die attitude come out in his commentary and you can learn from him in this regard. The number one thing that stands out in his commentary is that he holds nothing back - you're getting the real goods.

Frost - recently, I have heard some Frost commentary and I really think it is top notch. I was expecting him to hold back, but you get the feeling you are inside the decision-making process. He gets along well with his boothmates and makes for an interesting listen. Perhaps as he grows older and transitions out of competition, well get to hear more. Accu-statas would do well to consider him as a permanent fixture in the plexiglass.

Mark Wilson - Mark's emphasis is on mechanics and stroke. He analyzes the actual physical movements of the stroke and comments nicely on what went right and what went wrong. While his 1p knowledge is not up their with the top-tier commentators, it is obvious that he is learning somewhere. With his close working relationships with the younger class of graduates, he seems to have a lot to offer in the booth.

That's all I got.

Dan....good breakdown, I agree with most all you said here...except for...

Mark Wilson...he's a nice guy, and he knows instructional pool and rotation games at an expert level, but.....he shouldn't have been allowed within 100 yards of any One Pocket commentating booth these last several years...:eek:...for two good reasons..:cool:...

#1. He doesn't play the game, and can't spell One Pocket...why in the world he's been in the booth for One Pocket matches for several years, in place of an actual, knowledgable One Pocket player, who understands what he is looking at and commentating on, is beyond me.

#2. And I really hate this..which a couple of other non-professional commentators also do (who I'm not going to name, since they're friends/acquaintances of mine).....they praise, and stroke, and nauseatingly defer to, their more experienced/professional booth partner..:rolleyes:...if they don't have the knowledge and the gonads to give their own solid opinion of the One Pocket play they're viewing - then they don't belong in the booth...and I'm going to give you a example, with a graphic...

Accu-stat video...Mark Wilson is in the booth with Danny D. - Efren playing Shannon at the DCC - Shannon's shot...Shannon shoots the basic shot of removing the 15ball from Efren's side of the table, 3-railing it over to his long rail, and stopping whitey, snookered against the rack....Danny of course, ahead of time, says that Shannon will shoot this obvious shot...then after Shannon does, Mark says - "Wow! great call Danny"..:rolleyes:...made me gag..and he cluelessly praises his booth partners like this constantly - I wanted to call Pat Fleming on the spot and ask him if Mark Wilson has pictures of him wearing ladies lingerie or something like that - why else would he have him in the booth? - has to be blackmail...:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
artie
i sent mitch the link to hear you commentate
im glad he liked it
i really enjoyed the quick insightful and educational comments you made
you and larry (schwartz)seemed to have a great report
i thought you did a great job
for what its worth
your voice is way easier on the ears compared to johnny ervolino...:)
for those who are curious
here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1xYvIMjoA

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I agree re. Bernie - he does an excellent job commentating.

Dan....good breakdown, I agree with most all you said here...except for...

Mark Wilson...he's a nice guy, and he knows instructional pool and rotation games at an expert level, but.....he shouldn't have been allowed within 100 yards of any One Pocket commentating booth these last several years...:eek:...for two good reasons..:cool:...

#1. He doesn't play the game, and can't spell One Pocket...why in the world he's been in the booth for One Pocket matches for several years, in place of an actual, knowledgable One Pocket player, who understands what he is looking at and commentating on, is beyond me.

#2. And I really hate this..which a couple of other non-professional commentators also do (who I'm not going to name, since they're friends/acquaintances of mine).....they praise, and stroke, and nauseatingly defer to, their more experienced/professional booth partner..:rolleyes:...if they don't have the knowledge and the gonads to give their own solid opinion of the One Pocket play they're viewing - then they don't belong in the booth...and I'm going to give you a example, with a graphic...

Accu-stat video...Mark Wilson is in the booth with Danny D. - Efren playing Shannon at the DCC - Shannon's shot...Shannon shoots the basic shot of removing the 15ball from Efren's side of the table, 3-railing it over to his long rail, and stopping whitey, snookered against the rack....Danny of course, ahead of time, says that Shannon will shoot this obvious shot...then after Shannon does, Mark says - "Wow! great call Danny"..:rolleyes:...made me gag..and he cluelessly praises his booth partners like this constantly - I wanted to call Pat Fleming on the spot and ask him if Mark Wilson has pictures of him wearing ladies lingerie or something like that - why else would he have him in the booth? - has to be blackmail...:cool:

- Ghost

Ghost, I wholeheartedly agree with your addendum. He is too deferential at times, particularly with DD, who needs to someone to correct him rather often with his hair-brained shot selections. With respect to this shortcoming, who is worse: Jay Helfert or Mark Wilson??

Regarding Mark Wilson and blackmail, the Beard and I exchanged some PM's on this and he said nearly the exact same thing.

I was trying concentrate on the positive points when I punched that post out.

Another commentator I really liked was Weenie Beanie. Interesting voice, great chuckle, funny stories and usually astute observations on strategy.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Ghost,

Another commentator I really liked was Weenie Beanie.

Amen, one of the best.

One of the guys I used to like the best has become someone I can't listen to any more. I don't know whether he's really gone downhill or I've just heard the same crazy s**t over and over too many times.

I really wish Rich Grenier could hook up with Pat F., but he's West Coast and Pat produces mostly in the East.

More Dave Maddux, please!