"BANK POOL TOURNAMENT" December 7th, 2013 @ Red Shoes Billiards (Illinois)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a "BANK POOL TOURNAMENT" on Saturday December 7th, 2013. This is a $50 entry fee (green fee included), ***$500 ADDED MONEY***(based on a full field), double elimination, one day ("IRON MAN") event. For additional information CONTACT: John Lavin @ Red Shoes Billiards 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 (tel.708-388-3700 or website: redshoesbilliards.com) Sign-up 12:00 PM (noon)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I will play saturday. Toledo Joe Thomas and George Pawelski have promised to come. Sailor Stellman may also show up.
Hope to play well. Banked a serious 7 yesterday. Could have gotten 8 but there were two more balls on the table and I complicated an easy shot to try and get dead shape for the other two balls in order to get to 10 and out.

Beard

dmgwalsh

Verified Member
Past Winners

Past Winners

Just for the record, the Winners for the last few Banks tournaments were:

1st Chris Gentile...2nd Eric Hincks...3rd Ike Runnels...4th Eric Wermes...5th-6th Kevin Hall & Earl Fowler...7th-8th Freddie (Beard) Bentivegna & Neal Jacobs

The tournament before:

1st Mark Jarvis, 2nd John Rawski, 3rd Eric Hincks, 4th John Demet, 5th-6th Jeff Jones/John Phillips

The one before that:

Ike Runnels (winner side) did a "universal chop" with Freddie "the Beard" Bentivegna and Jeff Carter ( who chopped what was left of 1st/2nd/3rd), 4th John Rawski, 5th-6th Eric Wermes & Eric Hincks, 7th-8th Ed Latimer & Mike Muhlbrandt.

and the one before that:

1st/2nd (split) Jeff Jones/John Zaksas, 3rd Darryl Abernathy, 4th Johnny "Rocket" Demet 5th-6th Mike Muhlhardt (sp?) Tom Karabatsos 7th-8th Eric Hincks/Ike Runnels.

We drew 25 people for the Straight Pool Tournament a few weeks ago, so we are hoping for a nice crowd.

There should be some live streaming for some of you people who cannot make the trip.

Table 1: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/red-sh...60803-camera-1
Table 2: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/red-sh...60803-camera-2
Table 3: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/red-sh...60803-camera-3
Table 4: http://ustre.am/OaXG;
Table 5 http://ustre.am/OaXT ;
Table 6: http://ustre.am/OaY3;
Table 7: http://ustre.am/OaYx.

Attachments

• banner 2.jpg
    banner 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Results

Results

1st. Mark Jarvis, 2nd Ike Runnels,3rd Darryl Abernathy, 4th Eric Hincks, 5th-6th Tom Karabatsos- Bill R, 7th-8th Neal Jacobs-John Phillips

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I played Saturday. Won two and lost two. The two matches I lost were to two of the guys that came in the money, Darryl and Bill S. I played about 7 hrs straight. The last match I considered forfeiting because I was very,very tired by then, and the overwhelming thought of what would happen if I kept winning? I would have to play 3 or 4 more matches! No good for a 73 yr old man like me.
So regrettably, this will probably be my last Iron Man one-day tournament.

I don't use artificial stimulants anymore, so I can no longer expect any help. When I played til 5:30 in the morn and came in a 3 way tie for first, I did use one of those 5 hr energy bottles. I have decided not to use them anymore. It was a two day recovery from that particular tournament. My "upper" days are well over.

Mark Jarvis won it in spite of me praying that the lights would dislocate from the ceiling and fall on his f'king head. He was the best player,and figured to win. I cant believe that he was actually a student of mine when he was a teenager. He is my least favorite, least liked pool player -- ever. And remember, I knew Ray Boots Maples, and even hung out with Detroit Whitey once in awhile.

This will give you an idea of what I thought of him even back then: He was paying me $50 an hour for lessons (30 years ago ?) and I fired him as a student because I couldn't abide his attitude and character.

Final note: the format for the bank tourn was a race to 23 balls. It is a great, fair format to determine the best player, but IMO it is too long to cram into a one day tournament with 32 players. The matches are never going to end until 5,6, or 7 in the morn.

They use the same format for the big Cincinnati bank tourns, but they carry it over two days. I had an idea for a game adjustment, and I might even copyright it as I have done for my Speedo Onepocket and Bank Pool rules.

My idea for a speedier tournament result would be the same exact rules and format for the 23 out of 45 game, but just cut the race to 20 balls rather than 23. The key component would be to cut the size of the racked balls from 15 to 13. You would remove the 2nd ball from the corner ball on each side of the last row of balls, leaving 13 on the table and a legitimate rack to break to. (If you removed the two corner balls it would become too easy to make a ball (or two) on the break. My way would leave a legitimate rack to break at.

This would still leave a maximum of 3 racks played and the race would be to 20 out of a possible 39 balls (13 x 3 = 39).

The time saved result for this would be: 32 man field, 1st round 16 matches, 16 matches with 3 less banks to make = 48 less banks needed to get thru the first round! In a double elimination tourny, the second round is also 16 matches, that means another 48 less banks needing to be made, that is a total of 96 less banks for the first round! The economy of time saved is obvious, and 20 banks in more than enough of a contest. ie., in DCC in their 3 out of 5 Nine ball bank format, all you need to win the match is to make only 15 balls first.

Beard

I am now off to the Copyright people (it is not an expensive proposition).

Last edited:

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
tired

tired

I played Saturday. Won two and lost two. The two matches I lost were to two of the guys that came in the money, Darryl and Bill S. I played about 7 hrs straight. The last match I considered forfeiting because I was very,very tired by then, and the overwhelming thought of what would happen if I kept winning? I would have to play 3 or 4 more matches! No good for a 73 yr old man like me.
So regrettably, this will probably be my last Iron Man one-day tournament.

I don't use artificial stimulants anymore, so I can no longer expect any help. When I played til 5:30 in the morn and came in a 3 way tie for first, I did use one of those 5 hr energy bottles. I have decided not to use them anymore. It was a two day recovery from that particular tournament. My "upper" days are well over.

Mark Jarvis won it in spite of me praying that the lights would dislocate from the ceiling and fall on his f'king head. He was the best player,and figured to win. I cant believe that he was actually a student of mine when he was a teenager. He is my least favorite, least liked pool player -- ever. And remember, I knew Ray Boots Maples, and even hung out with Detroit Whitey once in awhile.

This will give you an idea of what I thought of him even back then: He was paying me $50 an hour for lessons (30 years ago ?) and I fired him as a student because I couldn't abide his attitude and character.

Final note: the format for the bank tourn was a race to 23 balls. It is a great, fair format to determine the best player, but IMO it is too long to cram into a one day tournament with 32 players. The matches are never going to end until 5,6, or 7 in the morn.

They use the same format for the big Cincinnati bank tourns, but they carry it over two days. I had an idea for a game adjustment, and I might even copyright it as I have done for my Speedo Onepocket and Bank Pool rules.

My idea for a speedier tournament result would be the same exact rules and format for the 23 out of 45 game, but just cut the race to 20 balls rather than 23. The key component would be to cut the size of the racked balls from 15 to 13. You would remove the 2nd ball from the corner ball on each side of the last row of balls, leaving 13 on the table and a legitimate rack to break to. (If you removed the two corner balls it would become too easy to make a ball (or two) on the break. My way would leave a legitimate rack to break at.

This would still leave a maximum of 3 racks played and the race would be to 20 out of a possible 39 balls (13 x 3 = 39).

The time saved result for this would be: 32 man field, 1st round 16 matches, 16 matches with 3 less banks to make = 48 less banks needed to get thru the first round! In a double elimination tourny, the second round is also 16 matches, that means another 48 less banks needing to be made, that is a total of 96 less banks for the first round! The economy of time saved is obvious, and 20 banks in more than enough of a contest. ie., in DCC in their 3 out of 5 Nine ball bank format, all you need to win the match is to make only 15 balls first.

Beard

I am now off to the Copyright people (it is not an expensive proposition).
A tournament or so back, i came in 5th in Louisville, i was dog tired, one of those iron man contests, i had that exact same thought you had, what if i win, i gotta play 3-4 more matches, screw the iron man contests for me, i'm finished with that.