Anyone Know Anything About Arizona Lee?

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
Heard About A Match Between Efren And A Guy Named Arizona Lee. Anyone Heard About This? Curious.

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
man in the trailer

man in the trailer

Sorry for the shortness of my first post as I am at work.
So here is the story I was told by more than one person but all of those who told it were in the same pool hall. Supposedly (not believably) there is some scroungy old man who lives in a trailer behind a pool hall near Phoenix who is ancient and plays killer one-pocket. The story goes that Efren flew in to play this guy and could not beat him. SUPPOSEDLY. The old man's name was Arizona Lee. Is there even an ounce to any aspect of the story? I have played at the place in Tempe where Frost played Efren recently (non-smoking poolrooms rule and this place suited me fine. Well maintained with a friendly staff) and I know there is no trailer behind that place. There is a guy who owns a bar in Grove, Oklahoma and he just moved from Phoenix where he ran a pool hall so I can ask him when I see him but it will be awhile so I thought I would run it by y'all. Howsaboutit? Does the man even exist? This might be a filtered variation of the story about a supposedly unbeatable mexican from Texas whom Efren could not beat at 8 ball- that man was supposedly age 82 when they played, around the time Efren came here in the 1980's. I don't know if that story is true either. You hear a lot of bull in pool halls so I don't want to go spreading b.s. about one of my heroes. Just curious, ok?

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
az lee

az lee

If this was a Harley website,the line would be,"I heard about 35 1937 Knuckleheads stored in a railroad car in perfect condition and the guy only wants 10K for the whole lot".But I digress.....I know nothing of this yarn.The best Efren story I know is when he turned up at Red's and beat everybody giving up the 7 except Buddy even-up in a match of 10 ahead for 10K.Even that one's hard to believe,but lots of reliable witnesses have testified.....

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Arizona Lee

Arizona Lee

Yes, he is a real person, and has been around for many years. He turned up in West Monroe, Louisiana several months ago. Said he was also a piano player, and was down on his luck at the time he was here. He is, or has been, a player, but I don't know just how strong. I would be amazed to find that Efren had played him recently, or how much weight he would need to be competitive - but you never know.

You will know him if you see him. Talks non-stop. Cheerful little guy.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:
Yes, he is a real person, and has been around for many years. He turned up in West Monroe, Louisiana several months ago. Said he was also a piano player, and was down on his luck at the time he was here. He is, or has been, a player, but I don't know just how strong. I would be amazed to find that Efren had played him recently, or how much weight he would need to be competitive - but you never know.

You will know him if you see him. Talks non-stop. Cheerful little guy.

Vapros, good description of Lee. He was never a "great" player, but he had flashes of brilliance. He never made it to the top level of bar table players, but he was a good scuff, and knew his way around a strange bar. He was a good guy, and if he's still around, I wish him well.

Dick

pacain

as of a few months ago, arizona lee was living in ruston, la. he said he is 76or 77 now, and he plays a ball or so below what he did in the mid 80's,which is when i first met him . he is no longer a shotmaker, but still has great one pocket knowledge. stays pissed off all the time, and you can imagine what it does to his game. since i have known him,he never played efren's speed in any game

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
that's about what i thought...........

that's about what i thought...........

the Arizona Lee /Efren story seemed a bit "twice baked." i am glad some of you could shed light. if anyone speaks to the guy, feel free to let us know if he has even played Reyes. I do believe the story about Efren giving everyone the 7 in Houston. The worst I ever saw him perform though was in the world championships in Arlington Heights, Illinois (1998?) when he was bearing down on a tough shot and one of the media cameramen shot a flash bulb right in his eyes. He was really affected by that as anyone would be. I can't believe the cameraman was not booted out, but nobody said a word to him! un-effing believable. Efren played badly after that and lost quickly. I had taken a train all the way there to see him play and that sh*t happens. If anyone knows that cameraman tell him to send me about $250 for the cost of my trip.
Anyone know if Lee is Arizona's first or last name?

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Hey Tulsa

Hey Tulsa

Ya,the 7 in Houston is a done deal.Fuking camera's,sorry about that...I know what traveling to a gold mine that turns into stone is like.....in Phx,there's a few cats like the one featured here[AZ LEE]....the desert is a whole world that has to be lived in to be believed.....no where else on the planet...California,Kathmandu,Oahu,Amsterdam has the magic of that place or the guys. And the girls are quite friendly also......Of course,the potential in America is always there for unreal adventures,but after awhile its not REAL hard to know the score about 98% of the time.Anyway,my hat off to Freddie and the pioneers who were there when this game started.......I love the stories and old videos.....makes me feel like 97 again....cheers,Bob