9/6 vs 11/7

baby huey

Verified Member
Looking at spots remember playing EVEN you have to beat your opponent such that he can't get more that seven balls. So, 9/6 means he can't get more than five balls. The lessor player IMO is always seeking to go to a lower number so that he doesn't have to perform so perfectly to win the game. I always favored money line spots vs ball spots. I'd play anyone even if the money line was right. I once played a guy who was my speed with a money line. I told him whatever spot he wanted just lay me the same price on the money. We setteled on 9/7 and he laid me $90/$70 on the money. We broke even on games after 6 hours or so and I make a nice little score.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I wonder if the reason there seems to be a discrepency between math and experience, comes down to the fact that math is more of a theoretical way of looking at it, where you can win in say 4.7 innings. But in real life there is no 7/10ths of an inning -- it is either 4 innings or 5 innings. And in any game, the "next" inning can be the one you win in or lose in, but in no way will it be a fraction -- unless somebody quits abruptly lol :LOL: So maybe the math is not so great in the short run -- but really only starts to work in the long term -- via "averages".

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I wonder if the reason there seems to be a discrepency between math and experience, comes down to the fact that math is more of a theoretical way of looking at it, where you can win in say 4.7 innings. But in real life there is no 7/10ths of an inning -...
No, I think it's because with a longer game the better player has more time to move the balls to favorable positions. At one pocket you can make a lot of progress towards your goal without pocketing a ball.

The question remains how much the increased length is worth compared to the theoretically tougher ball spot. I think it depends on the skills and styles of the two players.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Well I'm to old to look up the thread, but you were quoting Dr. Bill to me and I said you all had a right to be wrong just like anybody else.
You don't remember? How old are you ?

You may be hallucinating. :unsure: ........but if I was quoting Dr Bill I am in pretty good company, right or wrong.🙃

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You may be hallucinating. :unsure: ........but if I was quoting Dr Bill I am in pretty good company, right or wrong.🙃
Right, have you changed your mind about 9/6 or 11/7 you were die hard 11/7 the best game to take before ?
P.S. Haven''t been able to find any LSD so probably not hallucinating ;)

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I'll throw another comment into the mix. Do you consider yourself a "shooter or a mover" If you are a Shooter than 11-7 is fine because the extra ball is not an issue. If you can't get to 7 it's because he kept you off a shot or played perfect. If you are a 'Mover" then 9/6 and push them up table at first opertunity.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'll throw another comment into the mix. Do you consider yourself a "shooter or a mover" If you are a Shooter than 11-7 is fine because the extra ball is not an issue. If you can't get to 7 it's because he kept you off a shot or played perfect. If you are a 'Mover" then 9/6 and push them up table at first opertunity.
That is a great answer!!

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Thanks Nick. I'm kind of a jack of all trades, maybe, leaning a little more to the moving department, which is why I turned down 11/7. He rejected the 9/6 or 12/7 that I proposed. We came to an agreement of 11/7 12/7. Now I just gotta find my stroke again before I play the match.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
The better player is always wanting you to go to the larger number. Remember what Cliff used to say when he took a foul: "What's a ball to me?" An extra ball to you is huge. Go to the smaller number is almost always the right thing to do.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
The way I see it is how many mistakes your opponent needs to make for you to win. If your playing a top notch shooter 9 would ususaly be a one mistake game for you and 6 may or may not be a one mistake game for you. 11 7 may not change that except that your going to possibly need more mistakes to win witch are less likely with the better player than the weaker

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
The great Allen Hopkins once mentioned to me that in his experience playing weaker players 9/6 vs 11/7 is a flip of the coin. However, Rodney who I have the utmost respect for says 9/6 is much better for the weaker player. I'm assuming he also has experience with both spots. I would have to side with Rodney.

Dr. Bill
Hopkins is a tough guy to gauge, he looks like he isn't doing much , but his opponents, usually aren't shooting at their hole, all that often.
I believe him to be the better mover, even though a lot of it, just looks like dinking, compared to Rodney. I would love to know your opinion ?

beatle

Verified Member
so would you rather take 8 to 6 than 11 to 7. no of course not.

so it is, the -ratio- that counts...,, not the balls needed except in cases like i said in earlier post. such as break and ball running ability .
those can affect it somewhat depending on length of game. but that is individual player dependent.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
So if you're a shooter, you'd rather go to 7 than 6. I just don't get your point Nick, I must be getting dense in my dotage.:oops: