2017 Tournament Details

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I think 2 rounds the first day is necessary to keep the bracket moving, even if 8 players are eliminated. It will actually be 6 or 7, since I think we have some byes. Personally, I don't mind if I go 2 and out.

In fact, we have enough tables to have a $50 entry 2 & Out Club side tournament if people are interested. It could start on Saturday afternoon and be a single elimination tournament. I'm happy to organize, whether I go 2 & out or not.

I like that idea too. They often have last a chance tournament here (Sounds better than losers) after a big tournament and they are popular with the players.

chicagomike

Verified Member
To answer several questions at once, this is what my thoughts are and I will update the main post in this thread later tonight after receiving some feedback.

2 rounds will happen on Friday night and the 2nd round that evening will consist of WINNERS side only.

Calcutta will be paid to 4 spots and percentages will be 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%.

The top 8 players will be paid for tournament placement.

That sounds good to me, but I know very little about running tournaments.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
To answer several questions at once, this is what my thoughts are and I will update the main post in this thread later tonight after receiving some feedback.

2 rounds will happen on Friday night and the 2nd round that evening will consist of WINNERS side only.

i think you'd want to do 50%, 30%, 20%
;)

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Matt -- Because there are more matches in the losers side than the winners side, having the second round on Friday be winners side will actually not speed the tournament up at all. You'll just have 8 players who won-then-lost waiting for the 16 players who lost in the first round to play down to 8 players.

The way to get ahead of the game, schedule-wise, is to play two full rounds of 16 matches on Friday. You play the first round, and then you play 8 matches on the winner's side and 8 on the loser's side. Then, ASAP, you go straight to the next round on the loser's side.

I recall most people preferring to start at 11 instead of 10 on Saturday. If we want that, I strongly recommend two full rounds on Friday. Playing from 4:00 to 11:00 or so should be doable without much pain.

As noted, I'd be happy to set up a second chance tournament so no one has to really be done on Friday.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Matt -- Because there are more matches in the losers side than the winners side, having the second round on Friday be winners side will actually not speed the tournament up at all. You'll just have 8 players who won-then-lost waiting for the 16 players who lost in the first round to play down to 8 players.

The way to get ahead of the game, schedule-wise, is to play two full rounds of 16 matches on Friday. You play the first round, and then you play 8 matches on the winner's side and 8 on the loser's side. Then, ASAP, you go straight to the next round on the loser's side.

I recall most people preferring to start at 11 instead of 10 on Saturday. If we want that, I strongly recommend two full rounds on Friday. Playing from 4:00 to 11:00 or so should be doable without much pain.

As noted, I'd be happy to set up a second chance tournament so no one has to really be done on Friday.

Uuh, no...excerpted from Steve's - Official Tournament 'sticky thread' >>>

The dates for the tournament are June 16, 17 & 18 (Friday, Saturday & Sunday). The official start will be 4 PM Friday, but for those few players that cannot arrive in time for Friday night matches, they may have to play earlier Saturday morning to avoid falling behind in the tournament. No one will forfeit for not arriving Friday, but all players are encouraged to come as early as you can both for the sake of the tournament and for the camaraderie. Saturday and Sunday matches will start at noon.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Uuh, no...excerpted from Steve's - Official Tournament 'sticky thread' >>>

The dates for the tournament are June 16, 17 & 18 (Friday, Saturday & Sunday). The official start will be 4 PM Friday, but for those few players that cannot arrive in time for Friday night matches, they may have to play earlier Saturday morning to avoid falling behind in the tournament. No one will forfeit for not arriving Friday, but all players are encouraged to come as early as you can both for the sake of the tournament and for the camaraderie. Saturday and Sunday matches will start at noon.

Good catch re: noon on Saturday--even better, in my book! But I think that's all the more reason to do two full rounds on Friday.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
Ok. we will do 2 full rounds on Friday night to keep the tournament moving and have a Second Chance tourney on Saturday. Cory will be running it if there is interested players.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like it's all coming together! I am in for a second chance tourney, good idea! Leaving here in a couple hours to head that way but wont be in he pool room until Friday probably around 2 PM.

See you all soon!

PS - and again if I have missed it somewhere, all times being referenced are in the local Chicago time I assume?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Sounds like it's all coming together! I am in for a second chance tourney, good idea! Leaving here in a couple hours to head that way but wont be in he pool room until Friday probably around 2 PM.

See you all soon!

PS - and again if I have missed it somewhere, all times being referenced are in the local Chicago time I assume?

I'll update stuff shortly, but we will be in Chicago............ CST..lol

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
New details

New details

Matt contacted me this morning and asked me to run the auction and we discussed final details etc. I will be starting a new tournament thread shortly for pre registration, auction details etc. As to avoid any confusion I will post up the final tournament information in a single thread shortly.

unoperro

Verified Member
Where is a updated player list? I know some have had to cancel?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Table assignments

Table assignments

I don't know if anyone has commented about this recently, but word from the Ghost is that while Chris's has many many full sized tables, only about 8-10 are the "preferred" tables by regular One Pocket playing locals. For our early rounds we will HAVE TO use more than those preferred tables to stay on schedule.

I would like to make the executive decision that the table assignments are going to go right with the order of the draw to start with for the first round. After the first round on Friday night, the table assignments will go to first available open tables -- i.e. if one of the preferred tables is not open, that match will be assigned to one of the other tables (with no complaining please).

For the Saturday matches, winner's side matches get priority on the preferred tables. If there are still preferred tables available besides the winner matches, then players that played their first match/matches on the other tables would get priority on the preferred tables. (That means the table assignments from Friday will have to be written down.) After a bit we should be down to all tournament matches on the preferred tables.

Got that, lol? Mainly I just don't want to see time lost waiting for preferred tables, or negotiating about what table to play on.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I don't know if anyone has commented about this recently, but word from the Ghost is that while Chris's has many many full sized tables, only about 8-10 are the "preferred" tables by regular One Pocket playing locals. For our early rounds we will HAVE TO use more than those preferred tables to stay on schedule.

I would like to make the executive decision that the table assignments are going to go right with the order of the draw to start with for the first round. After the first round on Friday night, the table assignments will go to first available open tables -- i.e. if one of the preferred tables is not open, that match will be assigned to one of the other tables (with no complaining please).

For the Saturday matches, winner's side matches get priority on the preferred tables. If there are still preferred tables available besides the winner matches, then players that played their first match/matches on the other tables would get priority on the preferred tables. (That means the table assignments from Friday will have to be written down.) After a bit we should be down to all tournament matches on the preferred tables.

Got that, lol? Mainly I just don't want to see time lost waiting for preferred tables, or negotiating about what table to play on.

Got it....

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
To clarify further...the main thing that I was referring to, when saying preferred tables, was that they all have 4-3/8" or 4-1/2" pockets...contrarily, the tables that I considered 'not preferred' have 5" pockets...

Am I correct in my thinking, or are there some members who would prefer to play on a table that has 5" pockets?

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
2017 Tournament Details

Can I play on the snooker table? I always bring a snooker shaft. Finally home field advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk