2013 southern classic nine ball rules

motorman

I was not present for the players meeting. My information is second hand. I do not wish to offend any player. BUT............

several times during the two sets played Dennis Orcullo was hooked dead behind a ball. Dennis UNSCREWED his normal playing shaft and PUT ON HIS SPECIAL JUMP SHFT WITH SPECIAL TIP. After completing a successful jump, he put his REGULAR PLAYING SHAFT BACK ON then
he ran out. all this was in plain sight of the referee Ken Shuman. What were the rules in use at time concerning jump cues? Was this an oversight? We all know Ken was very tired from the past weeks activity and simply missed the call as Dennis did the removal and put back on very quickly. If the ruling was missed,it needs to be addressed clearly at other tournaments. If the ruling was correct so be it. Ken does a bang up job and his integrity can not be questioned

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting situation. Jump cues are prohibited at DCC and SCT. To me, changing shafts to one which allows easier or better jump shots would classify as a "jump cue". Shuman should have at least stopped the activity and contemplated the situation. The opponent could also have objected.

Also, if Orcullo had unscrewed his cue when it wasn't his turn, that would have been an automatic concession. But since the recently revealed "master mover" probably knows that, he undoubtedly tends to be careful.:rolleyes:

The other thing is that refs are less likely to call fouls on big name players. They're much more apt to notice fouls from nobodies; and when there's a dispute, the ref usually comes down on the side of the name player.

Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
What if I told everyone, that certain hits in pool/billiards are considerably easier to make with a certain type of cue. And if one of those shots came up in a game would a player be allowed to use a DIFFERENT cue to try an make that shot?

I guess the REAL question here is, "Is a player allowed to use more than ONE cue in a match, other than a BREAK/JUMP cue?"

Some thoughts on this, theory/thought.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I first heard of a player, who should know better, using a jump cue in one pocket was when Scott Frost pulled it on Efren during one of their money matches. When Efren objected, Scott told him we do it all the time over here and Efren sat down. Now this.

In my opinion this is like the Chicago fire and we are watching Mother O'Leary's shed go up in flames. If we do nothing, the whole town is going to burn to ashes. Who out there doesn't think that the use of jump cues in one pocket would be the destruction of the game? What would be the point of the game? Why not just give your opponent ball in hand? Every shot?

It is clear to me that if we do nothing, our game is in peril. Steve, come on. We have to proactively fight this or it will ruin our sport.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What if I told everyone, that certain hits in pool/billiards are considerably easier to make with a certain type of cue. And if one of those shots came up in a game would a player be allowed to use a DIFFERENT cue to try an make that shot?

I guess the REAL question here is, "Is a player allowed to use more than ONE cue in a match, other than a BREAK/JUMP cue?"

Some thoughts on this, theory/thought. Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
Good question, Bill. I don't recall seeing a rule re the allowance of multiple normal playing cues. It's starting to sound like golf, where the player is allowed 14 clubs!:rolleyes: Outside of a break cue and normal playing cue, it doesn't seem to have come up much.

I know that some tours or tournaments have banned the phenolic resin tip for breaking the balls. But even that is not common.

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Petie, our rules, and the DCC rules ban the jump cue.

Doc,

For many pool players in this day and age with league play being the largest population of players, one pocket is just a mysterious rumor. More and more, one player at a time, one pool hall at a time, one pocket is emerging as a respected and loved game. The more of these complete mockeries of our game such as Scott and Dennis have perpetrated, the more the newbies will think its good and normal? Can you imagine making a game with someone and in the middle of it just when you thought you had the nuts and had put him in the death trap, he pulls out the jump cue? If its already in our rules, maybe we need to mount an iniative to have our rules adopted by all the sanctioning bodies in the game.

8andout

Verified Member
Rules are rules

Rules are rules

This is old news and all experienced players should know to check the rules of any place where you've never played.... I once had a guy pull a house rules number on me one time and had me in a trap that was impossible to get out of. I couldn't argue with him so i just smiled proceeded to lose the game. I once called a foul on a guy for picking up a pocketed ball and using it to measure if a ball would pass by another ball down the rail. I won that argument and the game. One's epitaph might read "here lies a great pool player" and another may read "here lies a great pool player and a cheat". The choice is yours.

beatle

Verified Member
alot of these things that people think are cheating are done at local pool rooms all the time as most dont play in tournaments and rules are lax. such as the using a ball to measure. if you are the opponent you have plenty of time to tell him that he cant do that rather then argue over it and claim its a foul.

if a player lays his cue on the table to measure a shot, so what? but if you dont like it tell him right away and dont think for a minute in a money game the player is going to let you take a ball away from him.