What Ball Did I Make?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
Bensinger boys are not afraid to reverse kick.

Beard

My call to the calvary for reinforcements was answered...I was outnumbered there by the rebel soldiers for a minute...:eek:...and worse yet, one of those rebel-Confederate-Texas-varmints is a traitor :eek: used to be a northerner from Pennsylvania...:D

- Sgt. Ghost

Attachments

• bugle.jpg
    bugle.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • calvary.jpg
    calvary.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
No Billy, I didn't really expect you guys to go for my challenge - knowing that you would suspect the guileless Ghost of practicing the kick shot prior to the challenge taking place...:D...

As far as you asking me if I think my 2-rail kick is the right shot for the masses/average player - absolutely not...

But for a strong player with excellent kicking abilities and experience, I still like my kick shot :) and in case you missed his post, Freddy also said my kick was the right shot - this coming from a top banker, foregoing the bank in favor of my kick...:eek:...:cool:...

And as for the right shot for the masses/average player...if I was coaching an average player in this spot...I wouldn't let them shoot my kick, or your bank on the 4...

I would probably have them shoot either Steve Lomako's shot, or I would have them shoot the basic shot of hitting half a ball on the 5ball, bringing it over to my side, with the cueball going down to the bottom rail, like so >>>

- Ghost

PS, Trust me, doctors come to me for advice.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbYH4BXOc4CbYY4DAUJ4EATY4GTvd4HATr4IgMo4PYWV4YATY3YbfR4YJwm4kYWV4kByb2kOrp@[/CUETABLE]

Bruce, i'll call you Bruce when I disagree with your shot selection, ok? And i'll call you The Ghost when I like your shot selection. Anyways Bruce trailing 7 balls to 1 ball you must play agressively and either go after the kick or the bank on the 4 ball. Your shot on the 5 ball with the 1/2 ball hit leaves your opponent a simple kick behind the balls that favor you, and allows him to negate your position. I don't mind Steve's shot on taking an intentional, but imo it doesn't offer you the the best chance of winning the game.

When should you gamble? That's the question you need to ask youself especially when your confronted with situations of this kind. Take this situation as an example. Trailing 7 balls to 1 ball, your best chance of winning is when balls are in play. In this situation not only are the balls in play but they are easily run by an average player if given the opportunity. If you allow your opponent to negate your superior position you will put yourself in at least a 7/1 disadvantage and it could be much worse. By banking the 4 ball ( 35% makeable)you give youself an almost free shot of getting back into the game. That seems like a good gamble to me.:D

Bruce, trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
My call to the calvary for reinforcements was answered...I was outnumbered there by the rebel soldiers for a minute...:eek:...and worse yet, one of those rebel-Confederate-Texas-varmints is a traitor :eek: used to be a northerner from Pennsylvania...:D

- Sgt. Ghost
Traitor?? I'd even side with SJD and the west coast guys, if I liked the shot.
SORRY.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Serious Game

Serious Game

Ghosty, Bruce, Luke,

The only thing I know for sure about this shot is this: you must've been betting really high to shoot a shot like that.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbIL4BWpg4CbId3DAUJ3EATY4GTfh3HATr4PYWV4VWpg4VdGr4kYWV2kbwL2kOro4kWYV4kYMR4kYMR4kaCO@[/CUETABLE]

Dennis, Dummy, Moron

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
Anyways trailing 7 balls to 1 ball you must play agressively and either go after the kick or the bank on the 4 ball______Right, that's why I shot the kick...:rolleyes: _______Your shot on the 5 ball with the 1/2 ball hit leaves your opponent a simple kick behind the balls that favor you, and allows him to negate your position. I don't mind Steve's shot on taking an intentional, but imo it doesn't offer you the the best chance of winning the game._______ I of course realize all of this :rolleyes: these were my shot options, per your request, only for a very average player without the skills to shoot the more aggressive options.

Billy I.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, Bruce, Luke,

The only thing I know for sure about this shot is this: you must've been betting really high to shoot a shot like that.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbIL4BWpg4CbId3DAUJ3EATY4GTfh3HATr4PYWV4VWpg4VdGr4kYWV2kbwL2kOro4kWYV4kYMR4kYMR4kaCO@[/CUETABLE]

Dennis, Dummy, Moron

The bet makes no difference here...you're down 7-1 to a strong player, and the balls favor you right now if you can somehow take advantage of that fact...

So ok, let's say you're playing for $200 a game...We'd all like to hear what your shot choice is here?

- Ghosty

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
So ok, let's say you're playing for $200 a game...We'd all like to hear what your shot choice is here?

- Ghosty
Ghosty,

I answered in post #4. I told Rod that banking the 4 was the only obvious shot. It still is the only obvious shot, on my dime.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
- Ghost

Bruce, crossing the 5 ball and positioning the cue ball on the side of the table you referenced is not an option, regardless of the speed of the players. If you're going to cross the 5 ball you must reposition the cue ball on the other side of the table (opposite to the side you suggested)to create safety option problems for your opponent.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

I answered in post #4. I told Rod that banking the 4 was the only obvious shot. It still is the only obvious shot, on my dime.

Dennis
I guess that makes it a majority decision, Texas..Michigan..Pennsylvania..opposite the Bensinger boys.:D

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
Thanks Rod for the diagram of the shot. It was amazing how consistant the flight of the balls were even when I didn't hit the shot so well.

Frank, there's another version if this shot, a little more dangerous, but not much. Low right will kinda kill the CB down table which might be good for this layout.;)
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbYH4BXOc4CbYY4DAdJ4EATa4GTvd4HATr4IgMo4PYWV4XAdJ3XcGi4XUvQ4XUvQ4YATa2YFMj2YJaX4cATr3cbow4cNcf4kYWV4kBjG4kBit1kcVK1kSSm1kRbH1uBWP@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
Frank, there's another version if this shot, a little more dangerous, but not much. Low right will kinda kill the CB down table which might be good for this layout.;)
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbYH4BXOc4CbYY4DAdJ4EATa4GTvd4HATr4IgMo4PYWV4XAdJ3XcGi4XUvQ4XUvQ4YATa2YFMj2YJaX4cATr3cbow4cNcf4kYWV4kBjG4kBit1kcVK1kSSm1kRbH1uBWP@[/CUETABLE]
Rod, i've never shot this shot using low right, but from the position referenced it looks like it may be the best way to play the shot. If you happen to make it you're in line to pocket the combo, and if you dont pocket the bank your opponent could/will be in a more difficult position to escape from. This shot looks the best imo.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Rod, i've never shot this shot using low right, but from the position referenced it looks like it may be the best way to play the shot. If you happen to make it you're in line to pocket the combo, and if you dont pocket the bank your opponent could/will be in a more difficult position to escape from. This shot looks the best imo.

Billy I.
Rod, I hit this version of the shot about 5 times and I find that it's a much more risky way of playing it. You have possible controll problems with the head ball (5 ball) and the shot is more difficult to hit accurately, not my preference, but a very good shot if hit well.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
Any suggestions? What do you think?:D

Billy I.
i think luke should be reseved for when yoda,, the force ,and all the jedi
have given him the devine guidance to find the right shot and make it:eek: :D :)
trust me. i listen to my doctor

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Easy, Ghost. Billy, Clare, and I --all from Pittsburgh-- had the intelligence to part ways with the Yankee hordes, and move to Dixie! Terry A. remained-- probably due to an injury...;)

Doc
The South shall
rise again!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well, needless to say, playing Ike and being down 7-1 I was in 'shoot-at-a-white-flag' mode...that said, I considered the 4ball cross-corner, but it was too thin of a cut to love from where I was - if the cueball was up another inch or two I would have shot it.... - Ghost

Don't forget though, you advocates of the bank on the 4ball...it's not like I summarily dismissed that shot when I was in the game - I know the shot and have shot it many times...as I said in my page1 post, copied above - If the cueball was an inch higher, thus increasing my likelihood of making it - I would have shot it...:cool:

- Man of many names

PS, And one more thing, on the real table, the cueball may have actually been 1/2 inch lower/and to the left than how I tried to portray it in the wei-diagram...:cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Easy, Ghost. Billy, Clare, and I --all from Pittsburgh-- had the intelligence to part ways with the Yankee hordes, and move to Dixie! Terry A. remained-- probably due to an injury...;)

Doc
The South shall
rise again!

I forgot about you Doc...another union traitor...:rolleyes:

- Sgt. Ghosty

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Don't forget though, you advocates of the bank on the 4ball...it's not like I summarily dismissed that shot when I was in the game - I know the shot and have shot it many times...as I said in my page1 post, copied above - If the cueball was an inch higher, thus increasing my likelihood of making it - I would have shot it...:cool:

- Man of many names

PS, And one more thing, on the real table, the cueball may have actually been 1/2 inch lower/and to the left than how I tried to portray it in the wei-diagram...:cool:
Bruce Bruce Bruce.:confused: