D. Appleton vs. J. Miller 2012 Tunica

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
This is not such a bad spot to be in. I would feather the 3 ball and try to get to the long rail behind the 10. The worst that could happen is that I would hit the 10, either making it or knocking it away, and either one is okay. There's no banks available for him. If I felt I could manage it, I might bank the 14 onto my side instead, sticking the cue ball. The cb is kinda close to the rail for that - I'd have to be very careful, but it could be a fine result. I might even cut it to the left just a little, and send it right toward my pocket.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Either the 8-13 or the 8-13-15 could be a dead combination - with the 7 ball there as a wedge/helper, Darren wouldn't need to slice the combination impossibly thin....and if the 13 is lined up to cut a little too thin, it could go in after hitting the long-rail pocket point and then carom in off the 15 ball - but we can't tell from these pics whether either of the combinations are on target or not.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Well the three and five need to be disrupted anyway. They are laying so good for Miller, so if the three is a dead carom into the ten which it looks like it is, then you can put most all of your concentration into whitey and do some good with a safe easy to do type shot which is what I always go for. Mistake free..

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Lemme disagree with my favorite spook, to start this fairly new year. Ghostie, I'm looking at the overhead shot, and I think the 7 ball will take most of the impact if you hit the 8, and you would need to cut it very thin and then hammer it to move the 13 very far. You might move every ball on the table, in a sort of crapshoot. Your situation isn't nearly that bad. I'm trying to remember the wise-ass remark about an electric chair . . .

Of course, I don't see as well as when I was just 75.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'd bank the 14 cross corner into the 15. Otherwise I'd try to bank the 14 two rails onto my side. It depends on how comfortable I'd be with the CB so close to the rail since I'd want to bury the CB between the 4-11. If I thought I could make the 15, then I'd try for shape on the deuce.

If none of those looked good, I'd kick up to the head rail and back (probably 2 rails), trying to move out the 10. He'd have no return shot either way.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Well the three and five need to be disrupted anyway. They are laying so good for Miller, so if the three is a dead carom into the ten which it looks like it is, then you can put most all of your concentration into whitey and do some good with a safe easy to do type shot which is what I always go for. Mistake free..

This is a good spot for the 14 ball.View attachment 7573
ff1.jpg

i think everyone wants to leave him in the stack
question is what shot gives you most bang for the buck
frank getting a ball above and below appletons pocket i like alot
jiimy B if the carom angle is such i could remove his 10
id shhot that first because the 10 will be be a headache for me as will the 3-5

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Lemme disagree with my favorite spook, to start this fairly new year. Ghostie, I'm looking at the overhead shot, and I think the 7 ball will take most of the impact if you hit the 8, and you would need to cut it very thin and then hammer it to move the 13 very far. You might move every ball on the table, in a sort of crapshoot. Your situation isn't nearly that bad. I'm trying to remember the wise-ass remark about an electric chair . . .

Of course, I don't see as well as when I was just 75.

Bill, mon frere...you can't disagree with something I never said..:rolleyes:...I didn't say to shoot the combination - I said it might be dead - but we can't determine that one way or the other, by looking at a screenshot from out here in cyber-space...:cool:

- Gh:hehst

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Providing that the 13ball isn't the shot then I would play off the 14ball. The way the angle looks to me on the 14ball suggest, that my most "accurate" and "safest" hit would be to send the 14ball toward the 15ball. :eek: That could work out good or "iffy". Iffy, meaning that if I made the 15ball I would then find myself locked up again.:eek:

There is another option that would be a useful one for many players if it's available. This type of option often is a way out of situations similar to this one. That would be to bank the 1ball to your side and run up table with the cue ball. This option would put two balls on your side of the table, and leaving distance also as an ally. Plus he would not be able to shoot the 10ball unless he plays a low% combination.:D The reason I said that this option (if available) was a good option for many players, is because this option is much easier to execute then probably the best option (for some) shooting the 14ball. :confused:

Sorry if I confused some people, however, like I have often said. ...Shoot the shot that best fits your skill level.....even if it's not the best option. But for you it is.;)

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Providing that the 13ball isn't the shot then I would play off the 14ball. The way the angle looks to me on the 14ball suggest, that my most "accurate" and "safest" hit would be to send the 14ball toward the 15ball. :eek: That could work out good or "iffy". Iffy, meaning that if I made the 15ball I would then find myself locked up again.:eek:

There is another option that would be a useful one for many players if it's available. This type of option often is a way out of situations similar to this one. That would be to bank the 1ball to your side and run up table with the cue ball. This option would put two balls on your side of the table, and leaving distance also as an ally. Plus he would not be able to shoot the 10ball unless he plays a low% combination.:D The reason I said that this option (if available) was a good option for many players, is because this option is much easier to execute then probably the best option (for some) shooting the 14ball. :confused:

Sorry if I confused some people, however, like I have often said. ...Shoot the shot that best fits your skill level.....even if it's not the best option. But for you it is.;)

Dr. Bill

Thin off of the 1 ball is on the first line of the One Pocket Manual, in the Shooting out of the Break chapter.

Beard

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

Dr. Bill

I was thinking about banking the one ball but sending the cue ball softly off one rail down the table behind the ten.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
View attachment 7574

i think everyone wants to leave him in the stack
question is what shot gives you most bang for the buck
frank getting a ball above and below appletons pocket i like alot
jiimy B if the carom angle is such i could remove his 10
id shhot that first because the 10 will be be a headache for me as will the 3-5

My shot is just for a teaching type tip. You would have to be at the table to tell if it is laying right. The more I look at my shot, the more it does NOT look right. I would most likely do the shot by Dabarba (Frank) or the one ball by Dr. Bill, but kissing balls or caroming the cue ball down into balls by the opponents pocket is a strong tool. Scott is a master at it, isn't he??

bstroud

Verified Member
The problem I see with banking the 14 is that the cue ball is very close to the side rail making it difficult to shoot and stop the cue ball in the stack without shooting it too hard.

Another possible shot might be to shoot the cue ball into the 3 ball, letting it take out the 10 ball, letting the 5 ball take out the 1 ball and putting the cue ball on the end rail with draw. It would be easier to hit this shot hard with draw than baby the 14 ball but could only be shot if all the balls were in the right place.

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Alot of good answers. I would have to be at the table to really see and feel the shot but I like shooting the 14 ball(cutting it a little) into the rail by the 10 ball. Trying to clear the pocket and maybe sending the 14 ball toward the 15 ball after it hits the side rail and then the top of the 10 ball. Meanwhile following the cueball forward after it billiards off the 3 ball down toward where the 10 ball currently sits. My only concern is the 10 ball and cueball colliding. If able to execute(and if im at the table and it feels right im shooting it) it would change the game around.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thin off of the 1 ball is on the first line of the One Pocket Manual, in the Shooting out of the Break chapter.

Beard
Stop !!!! Thin off the 1ball is not the shot. In this situation you MUSTposition the 1ball on your side of the table. Positioning the 1ball on your side of the table is what makes this option a viable one. If you just thin off the 1ball you then will leave your opponent an easy return safety by thinning off either the 13ball or the 2ball and putting you back in the same spot that you just shot from.:eek:

Dr. Bill

Last edited: