2012 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks Deeman.

I been nominating him for the last 5 years or so. As in years past, he'll also get my vote for the Banks division as well.

In any other sport, those inducted into Hall of Fames are selected based on their credentials. Not "Well, so & so is getting old now, so let's make him feel good and pass over guys with multiple World Championships and get him in before he dies." That a popularity contest, not a valid measurement of the actual pecking order.

Gambling is the other criteria for induction here. Well, Shannon's been in action since he was 8 years old. He's 40 now. So he has multiple titles and has been gambling for 32 + years.

Why should he be purposely over-looked year after year because of his age??
He has over 30 years in the sport. He's penalized for starting so young and for being so good so early.

Another thing, he's actually given something back to the sport. He founded the Great Southern Billiard Tour, which gives players the chance to earn more money. Of the men already inducted, only Grady, Allen Hopkins and Bill Staton have ever promoted touraments. I mean, the jansco brothers are actually in the HOF here solely for promoting the JC tournaments.

By the way, the One Pocket division was only 1/4 of the JC tournamnets. It also featured 9B, 14.1 and over-all. So they certainly get a lot of credit, being inducted over players who won World Championships in the discipline.

Some of the nominations and arguments for other players over the years were lower caliber players then guys like Shannon, Joyner and Frost. MOST of the men already inducted rightfully DESERVE to be there because they were GREAT players. But there's a few that, although they were very good players, they couldn't have beat Daulton at the game.

I came to Deeman's post, skipped over every other post and wrote this. After I hit
"Enter", I'll go back and read what you fellas have to say.

This is the ONLY thing that bugs me about this site. Every year, all the excuses come out on why he SHOULDN'T be inducted. None of which, by the way, say he's not a great player.

Seems like some here feel there should be an age requirement to get into the HOF. Like if a guy is over 65 and was a decent player being selected over a guy who has won MULTIPLE major championships along with 30+ years on money match ups.

Being honest, that's not fair and it degrades the more accomplished players who happen to have been over-all much better players, but "they're not old enough yet."

Let me ask a question, of all the guys left who have not been inducted, who would you pick in a calcutta? Which of those not yet inducted would you bet on versus the other players?

Sorry for the rant, but I'll sleep better now.

Terry, Shannon Daulton fits the criterion perfectly. He along with Cliff Joyner are the two logical picks, Imo. I have been around many players over 50- plus years, and there aren't any two players who are more deserving of being inducted into the One Pocket Hall Of Fame, then these two guys. Shannon and Cliff both have been recognized as two of the worlds best one pocket players for well over the past 20 years. And they both have been gambling at the game for over 30 years, that I know of. When I say gambling I just don't mean going to the table and playing to gamble, I mean playing and gambling with anyone period. When we are talking about one pocket, both Shannon and Cliff's names are synonymous with which we are talking.

Ervolino has always been an upper echelon player, playing one pocket. And he has gambled against all the greatest players in the past 50- plus years, and done well. Ervolino had a very artistic mind that was reflected in the way he played, sometimes too artistic. When things were clicking in his game...he was unbeatable...He was the master with picking balls out of the stack, and his power shots were similar to the way both R.A. and Carella played. He was one of the more aggressive players of our time that actually created a blue print on the way ...aggressive one pocket should be played...He was an excellent player who had style and lots of glamor, and he will always be remembered as one of the greatest minds in pool, period.

Dr. Bill

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Terry, Shannon Daulton fits the criterion perfectly. He along with Cliff Joyner are the two logical picks, Imo. I have been around many players over 50- plus years, and there aren't any two players who are more deserving of being inducted into the One Pocket Hall Of Fame, then these two guys. Shannon and Cliff both have been recognized as two of the worlds best one pocket players for well over the past 20 years. And they both have been gambling at the game for over 30 years, that I know of. When I say gambling I just don't mean going to the table and playing to gamble, I mean playing and gambling with anyone period. When we are talking about one pocket, both Shannon and Cliff's names are synonymous with which we are talking.

Ervolino has always been an upper echelon player, playing one pocket. And he has gambled against all the greatest players in the past 50- plus years, and done well. Ervolino had a very artistic mind that was reflected in the way he played, sometimes too artistic. When things were clicking in his game...he was unbeatable...He was the master with picking balls out of the stack, and his power shots were similar to the way both R.A. and Carella played. He was one of the more aggressive players of our time that actually created a blue print on the way ...aggressive one pocket should be played...He was an excellent player who had style and lots of glamor, and he will always be remembered as one of the greatest minds in pool, period.

Dr. Bill

Thanks for another good post Dr. Bill!

I love the "Velvet Foghorn" as much as anybody and have done a good bit of research on him over the years. I even "interviewed" him once over the phone when he was staying in Las Vegas. He'd actually be my 2nd pick behind Cokes in the deceased catagory. Can you imagine if those two rascals ever matched up for the $?
Personally, I think that Johnny was a better 14.1 player than 1 pocket player, but you would know better than me.

I love it when the "Dr" is in!

cuesmith

Verified Member
Joey Spaeth and Clem Metz both need to be inducted before they are forgotten and/or are passed over.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Joey Spaeth and Clem Metz both need to be inducted before they are forgotten and/or are passed over.

Both Joey, and Clem will eventually be inducted, imo. Joey was a true gentlemen who certainly understood the game of one pocket, he was actually considered one of the best movers in the game ..back in the day. He was a gambler that never gave up, one of the hardest...if not the hardest players to beat, ever. I knew Joey fairly well, Norman Howard "The Jockey" introduced me to him in the 60's. One pocket was Joey's best game and he played it very well. He was known for "powdering up" frequently, and as a result the table had powder prints all over it. It just seemed that there was a battle going on when Joey played...more like a war.. when you looked at the condition of the table.:eek: And there was.:D

Clem was a better one pocket player than Joey, but not nearly the gentlemen that Joey was.:sorry Clem played behind his back as good as a lot of players play in front of the back, really true. Clem was considered one of the best players to ever play the game of one pocket, by his peers. Clem to me was one of the slickest players I ever met, he was very deceptive, both playing pool, and cards. A true hustler.

Dr. Bill

beatle

Verified Member
Joey speath must get in.

As far as lifetime in action it has to be Rosie. He lost more at pool and played as high as anyone.
I played him thirty g's a game eight ball forty years ago before anyone heard of him except Harold prince, what's that like now. He single handed kept pool alive amongst the name players for years.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Can I first admit I don't follow this topic so close. I just looked at the list, if I missed this discussion already, forgive me, but how does Mcready stand with the you voters? I know it wasn't his strongest game, but his persona alone through his career should put him in striking distance. I think he's done a lot for the sport, and I have interacted with him a tad, and he is truly a good guy imo.

I think Keith McCready's name has come up, at least in threads like this for the Lifetime Pool in Action Award. He certainly knew how to stir action up.

Also want to mention Grady Mathews as a possibilty for that award, as Grady was well known for betting high, and betting his own. Or maybe even renaming the award in Grady's honor.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting ideas, OSG. Grady was certainly the ambassador of one-pocket, and no one liked the action more than he did. We'll see if the idea gets traction from any of the others. Some may balk at naming an award after an individual rather than after a distinction.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Along with Cliff and Shannon, I forgot to include Ike Runnels. Ike has been playing top speed in tournaments and after hours for the last 10 years. He still plays in every tournament that he can and practices diligently every day.

Beard

"I like Ike."

Let me add Joey Spaeth to the dead zone.
Lifetime Action and whatever to Paul Bruslov and Bunny Rogoff

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Along with Cliff and Shannon, I forgot to include Ike Runnels. Ike has been playing top speed in tournaments and after hours for the last 10 years. He still plays in every tournament that he can and practices diligently every day.
Fred, how old is Ike? He's not as old as the Ghost, is he? Maybe late 50's? I expect that he's older than he looks. Great player.

Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Ok. You guys convinced me. I am changing my votes to coincide with Dr. Bill if its not too late. Daulton, Ervlino and J Paul Brusloff. Maybe Dr. Bill can tell about the incredible Rack times with Pittsburgh John, Jones, Country, Al Sherman as it related to Brusloff. Happy daze...I thought Worst was sort of like Rags F. but Steve should know. We should go ahead and put Steve in this year, also....

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The polite thing to do is elect Cliff Joyner into the One pocket HOF and Shannon Daulton into the Bank Pool HOF. This way everyone is served fairly.

Beard

(I got tricked into posting this outside of the HOF discussion thread (Shannon thread)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The polite thing to do is elect Cliff Joyner into the One pocket HOF and Shannon Daulton into the Bank Pool HOF. This way everyone is served fairly.

Beard

(I got tricked into posting this outside of the HOF discussion thread (Shannon thread)

Considering how close the choice is, between Shannon and Cliff for the one pocket induction, a compromise like this one isn't that "bad" of an idea.

Dr. Bill

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
One P Hall of Fame

One P Hall of Fame

I agree. Shannon, Ervalino and Paul Brusloff. Brusloff was the king of action. He radiated star power. When he made his entrance into the Rack, it was like a movie star walking into the Academy Awards. He looked like he had just stepped out of GQ, he was always impecably dressed in tailored top coat and silk shirts and $10,000 suits. He was a big man with a big voice and big hands and big feet and a big bankroll. When he stood near me, his presence was so large, it made me nervous. [not just me, he made a lot of strong men nervous.]

He matched up good, but when he went off, he went all the way off and made all us sidebettors rich. He took all side action, but would not bet small, so everyone had to form little corporations and pool their money to get a $500 bet. He played for days at a time and by the time he was done, his clothes were crumpled, full of chalk and dirt, but everyone knew we had been in action.

Carla J. Johnson

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The bite was mentioned as a semi-disqualifier for the HOF. We might as well give back all the trophies like they did with Lance Armstrong. The bite-men in our HOF outnumber the other guys like 10 to 1.

As far as who played better One pocket when they were both at their best, I would give the nod to Cliff over Shannon. To me, Cliff was the 2nd best player in the world for at least 10 years. And that is taking nothing away from the Dough Boy.

Beard

Incidentally, Carla Johnson is one of the select few women in the Secret Society.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
As far as who played better One pocket when they were both at their best, I would give the nod to Cliff over Shannon. To me, Cliff was the 2nd best player in the world for at least 10 years. And that is taking nothing away from the Dough Boy.

Beard

I strongly agree with this...during that period, I played Cliff many times, and watched him play many, many more times...his game was superb in all facets of the game - a thing of beauty to watch....Shannon may have had a small edge in banking balls, but imo Cliff could and did run more 10's and 12's on people than Shannon, had a more precise cueball (particularly when shooting One Pocket related power and delicate shots), and was more creative --- second in all of those things, only to Efren.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I strongly agree with this...during that period, I played Cliff many times, and watched him play many, many more times...his game was superb in all facets of the game - a thing of beauty to watch....Shannon may have had a small edge in banking balls, but imo Cliff could and did run more 10's and 12's on people than Shannon, had a more precise cueball (particularly when shooting One Pocket related power and delicate shots), and was more creative --- second in all of those things, only to Efren.

- Ghost

Oh come on, now. I have a dvd of SJD toying with him for two games & then beating him like a red-headed stepchild. How good could he have been? ;):D:rolleyes: