Congrats to the Lil' Go-rilla

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Lil' Go-rilla, is what Hubert Cokes used to call Nicky Varner. My congratulations and best wishes go out to Nicky Varner for being elected into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. A well deserved honor to a great player. ( Nicky won the DCC Bank championship one year defeating about 400 players.)

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Darn Freddie.....

Darn Freddie.....

...I wonder how long it took to play and defeat 400 guys.They must of been in a microwave......

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Nick Varner is one of the top five best American players in the last 50 years, he plays all games exceptionally well. It's an honor to have a player like Varner in any hall of fame. With this induction he will then be in... The BCA Hall Of Fame...The One Pocket Hall Of Fame ... and now in ....The Bank Pool Hall Of Fame.

Varner is a class act on and off the table. Congratulations Nick, you're a true champion and a credit to the game.

I would like to have you as my partner in any partners game.;)

Billy I.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Close, but no cigar. When you play Varner you feel that you actually are in a microwave.:lol

Billy I.

Billy -

Have you had much experience playing NICK VARNER WEDGE one-pocket?

I would love to see a couple matches with you two playing. Accustats or other available?

Thanks,

ken

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy -

Have you had much experience playing NICK VARNER WEDGE one-pocket?

I would love to see a couple matches with you two playing. Accustats or other available?

Thanks,

ken

I have played Varner quite a bit of one pocket through out the years and many games came down to where I needed one and he needed five or more balls, many many times. Varner never gives up regardless of the score, as he has proven to me a countless number of times. I can remember one time when I needed one and he needed eight, he started to form the wedge and I couldn't believe it. Whenever you need eight balls to your opponents one a sane man would try to position the balls where he could run a few. Hard to do that from the wedge position. By the way, he won that game.:frus

Billy I.

Bohemian

Congrats Nick again...

Congrats Nick again...

FYI:

accu-stats does not currently have any video's or dvds that have the wedge description in them; and I emailed and called P.F. at accu-stats to see if he knew which one or more of Nick Varner's videos or dvds he had that contained a representation of the wedge game...

He did not recall and said he would get back to me, when he found some...

its been a while now and no response...

Additionally, I have seen no representations of Nick Varners wedge game in any 1 hole books to-date...

I for one would like some direct links and or specific dvd/video/book titles that have Nick Varner playing the wedge game...

If anybody can make some recommendations with specific details I would appreciate it...

Thanks in advance.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bo, have a look at Varner- Daulton from the 1998 Legends of One Pocket in Baton Rouge, and at Varner - Mathews from a 1997 match. Also, you might want to watch Jimmy Fusco - Jim Rempe in a 1991 LOOP match. Varner and Fusco are both wedgers when they want to be.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bo, have a look at Varner- Daulton from the 1998 Legends of One Pocket in Baton Rouge, and at Varner - Mathews from a 1997 match. Also, you might want to watch Jimmy Fusco - Jim Rempe in a 1991 LOOP match. Varner and Fusco are both wedgers when they want to be.
Accu-stats has one dvd that was a single 100 minute game -- that was the whole video. I think Varner vs Hopkins. I have it in VHS but haven't looked at it in a while.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
You're right, Steve, and the entire commentary is done while watching the tape, with both Hopkins and Varner taking part and trying to recall the various situations as they appear, and how they dealt with them. Something different, for certain. Strange way to view a match. I don't think there were any wedges, tho.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You're right, Steve, and the entire commentary is done while watching the tape, with both Hopkins and Varner taking part and trying to recall the various situations as they appear, and how they dealt with them. Something different, for certain. Strange way to view a match. I don't think there were any wedges, tho.
I thought it went all up table for a little while, and then back in play, but it has been a while...

Bohemian

Accu-stats has one dvd that was a single 100 minute game -- that was the whole video. I think Varner vs Hopkins. I have it in VHS but haven't looked at it in a while.

unfortunately accu-stats currently has zero varner-hopkins one-hole matches listed in their online catalog...

if you could give me the catalog/item number of the tape I will call P.F. and see if he can dig it up for me.

I would also be interested in buying it if you or somebody else is willing to part with theirs. (VHS/DVD is fine)

thanks in advance.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Welcome Bohemian,
Look for Varner vs Fusco Legends of OnePocket Philly Style July 1991 ... I have it on VHS. Expert Commentary by Mathews n Fusco.

PM if you like ...

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Welcome Bohemian,
Look for Varner vs Fusco Legends of OnePocket Philly Style July 1991 ... I have it on VHS. Expert Commentary by Mathews n Fusco.

PM if you like ...

I thought I had several matches of Varner playing op but I must have given them out. Right now I only have one of him playing David Grossman in the 2000World OP Championship, hosted by the talented co-star of 'The Color Of Money', The illusive Mr. Howard Vickery. Oh yes I see I hve the 100 min rack deal with Hopkins and the Fusco match that Tony is re to also, but they are dvds that somebody copied off the vhs and gave to me so I shouldn't maybe distribute them. I never sell matches anyway. I've given a bunch away and loaned out bunches of them. I don't know why but I like to put on a match with good players that are not around or playing any more like Tang Hoa, Lisciotti, Steve Cook, Wade Crane, Evgeny Stalev, Ginky San Souci, etc...

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
That Mr. Stalev had talent, could have been a great. I dont think Ginky cared for one-pocket too much. I remember him saying he would run out of patience.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I've noticed...

I've noticed...

...a lot of people 'run out of patience' playing one pocket...But the great ones don't...(otherwise, they wouldn't be the GREAT ONES)...;)

Bohemian

That Mr. Stalev had talent, could have been a great. I dont think Ginky cared for one-pocket too much. I remember him saying he would run out of patience.

He liked it some...

One Pocket › 2000 World One Pocket Championships
Item: Jose Parica vs. George San Souci
SKU: 1P00-05

Bohemian

Welcome Bohemian,

PM if you like ...

Is this the one you were talking about?

One Pocket › 1994 Roanoke One Pocket Championships
Item: Pete Fusco vs. Nick Varner* (DVD)
SKU: R1P-06D

I did not see the one you mentioned listed online anymore...
One Pocket › 1991 Legends Of One Pocket - Philadelphia Style › 1991 Legends Of One Pocket - Philadelphia Style
http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...14508343&BACK=A0008A1B0000005B1C01206383411C1