2011 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 8th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last seven years we have elected twenty-five well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Jack Cooney * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Jimmy Fusco * Marvin Henderson * Allen Hopkins * Billy Incardona * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Jose Parica * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 8th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 8th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 24, 2012 during the 14th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; I would think that everyone here either has questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A few to consider....

A few to consider....

Ike Runnels. Stays in one pocket action and tournaments all over the country. Jeff Carter, won a big 1pkt tourn in Houston at Red's. Played even with Cardone at the Chicago Billiard Cafe in the 90s.

Clem Metz. Still alive? Long overdue. Could rob the majority of the people already in the HOF.

Cliff Joyner. An automatic. Was #2 in the world for a long time.

Shannon Daulton. The Pillsbury Dough Boy. Tho still young, I believe he was scheduled to be eligible this year along with Cliff.

Dead guys: Marcel Camp. overdue. Gene Skinner. Played as good as almost all of them, but relatively unknown by most. Hubert Cokes. Played 8 no count when in his late 60s.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I dont see......

I dont see......

.......Freddies name there do I ?He should be there au naturalle[of course],....oh and Jimmie Reid too plus an unknown to many would be Jimmy Wetch.Cheers,Bob

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ike Runnels. Stays in one pocket action and tournaments all over the country. Jeff Carter, won a big 1pkt tourn in Houston at Red's. Played even with Cardone at the Chicago Billiard Cafe in the 90s.

Clem Metz. Still alive? Long overdue. Could rob the majority of the people already in the HOF.

Cliff Joyner. An automatic. Was #2 in the world for a long time.

Shannon Daulton. The Pillsbury Dough Boy. Tho still young, I believe he was scheduled to be eligible this year along with Cliff.

Dead guys: Marcel Camp. overdue. Gene Skinner. Played as good as almost all of them, but relatively unknown by most. Hubert Cokes. Played 8 no count when in his late 60s.

Beard
Metz just died a couple of years ago.
I have Daulton as eligible this year based on 20 years since he won his first major One Pocket tournament. Cliff Joyner would come a little later -- he was around for sure back then, but had not emerged as a top player yet.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Metz just died a couple of years ago.
I have Daulton as eligible this year based on 20 years since he won his first major One Pocket tournament. Cliff Joyner would come a little later -- he was around for sure back then, but had not emerged as a top player yet.

Put me down for nominating Buddy Hall, again. And also for seconding Shannon. Only difference being, although Shannon may be a slight favorite, Buddy won't be around forever...:(

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Year after year after year after year......

Year after year after year after year......

I nominate Shannon Daulton, again.

Hopefully now, all the requirements of him having to be a grandpap, him having played for 50+ years, him having done this or done that, are all met now and that he is FINALLY allowed to be on the ballot! :D

One of the very best who's ever lived and certainly the youngest of all-time to accomplish all that he has. There're guys already in the H.O.F. that don't have his playing credentials, including $ won in match-ups AND World Championships.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Put me down for nominating Buddy Hall, again. And also for seconding Shannon. Only difference being, although Shannon may be a slight favorite, Buddy won't be around forever...:(

One thing about Buddy, he has beat most of them in the HOF and isnt from Chicago..:rolleyes:

ken

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
One Pocket nomination

One Pocket nomination

While I think Shannon, Cliff, are deserving (in about 20 years) a HOF should be about the players or supporters who have been playing for a few years. Like
BUDDY HALL-legend
RICHARD MC MORRAN-legend teacher
JOHN HENDERSON-has player every top player on the west coast for forty years
IKE RUNNELS-bank legend

Shannon, Cliff will get their time. There are plenty of players who have been around that need to be acknowledged before they are gone. I do not believe in this, you need to be dedd to be in the HALL.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

I'll vote for Shannon in about 15 years. Buddy, Ike, SJD, home boy (hendy) this year.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
While I think Shannon, Cliff, are deserving (in about 20 years) a HOF should be about the players or supporters who have been playing for a few years. Like
BUDDY HALL-legend
RICHARD MC MORRAN-legend teacher
JOHN HENDERSON-has player every top player on the west coast for forty years
IKE RUNNELS-bank legend

Shannon, Cliff will get their time. There are plenty of players who have been around that need to be acknowledged before they are gone. I do not believe in this, you need to be dedd to be in the HALL.

Scrzbill,
I respect your opinion to vote however & for whoever.

I would, however, like to ask you just one question.....Is induction into a H.O.F. based on sentimentality & age, or, should it be based on accomplishments?

Based upon accomplishments, SD is by far the most credentialed 1 pocket champion still on the outside of the H.O.F.

Buddy is one of my all-time favorite champions, but he has far more accomplishments in 9 ball than he does in 1P. He's a great one pocket player, no doubt about it. But Shannon has won more championships and he's done it at a younger age, than anybody.

I hate it every year that he comes up, he's overlooked because he's "too young" or not at death's door.

I've lobbied for Shannon Daulton for several years now and what held him back before was Steve wanted at least 20 years in pooldom before being placed on the ballot.

My thinking has been that Shannon, who was born in 1972 and started playing pool at age 5, has more than 20+ years "in service" at pool. His father Gerald was staking him in money matches for $300.00 a game by the time he was 11. (Turning 39 on April 5, this means Shannons now has 28 years of gambling and tournament seasoning to his credentials.)

At 19, he won the 1992 Legends of One Pocket, beating the likes of Steve Mizerak, Gary Spaeth and Bugs Rucker on his way to the championship.

Besides winning several other major championships in both 1 pocket and banks, Shannon also has 2 Derby City Classic 9 Ball Championships as well as being the 2001 Derby City Classic All-Around Champion.

And while still being one of America's best all-around and most elite players, Shannon (and Marge) also started and run their own tour....http://www.greatsouthernbilliardtour.com/. Very few players have the willingness to work that hard to keep a successful tour running. Shannon is setting a great example to his fellow pros that it CAN be done.

I feel that Shannon Daulton has EARNED a rightful place along side the other great pool champions and should be enshrined into the One Pocket AND Banks H.O.F.'s.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Scrzbill,
I respect your opinion to vote however & for whoever.

I would, however, like to ask you just one question.....Is induction into a H.O.F. based on sentimentality & age, or, should it be based on accomplishments?

Based upon accomplishments, SD is by far the most credentialed 1 pocket champion still on the outside of the H.O.F.

Buddy is one of my all-time favorite champions, but he has far more accomplishments in 9 ball than he does in 1P. He's a great one pocket player, no doubt about it. But Shannon has won more championships and he's done it at a younger age, than anybody.

I hate it every year that he comes up, he's overlooked because he's "too young" or not at death's door.

I've lobbied for Shannon Daulton for several years now and what held him back before was Steve wanted at least 20 years in pooldom before being placed on the ballot.

My thinking has been that Shannon, who was born in 1972 and started playing pool at age 5, has more than 20+ years "in service" at pool. His father Gerald was staking him in money matches for $300.00 a game by the time he was 11. (Turning 39 on April 5, this means Shannons now has 28 years of gambling and tournament seasoning to his credentials.)

At 19, he won the 1992 Legends of One Pocket, beating the likes of Steve Mizerak, Gary Spaeth and Bugs Rucker on his way to the championship.

Besides winning several other major championships in both 1 pocket and banks, Shannon also has 2 Derby City Classic 9 Ball Championships as well as being the 2001 Derby City Classic All-Around Champion.

And while still being one of America's best all-around and most elite players, Shannon (and Marge) also started and run their own tour....http://www.greatsouthernbilliardtour.com/. Very few players have the willingness to work that hard to keep a successful tour running. Shannon is setting a great example to his fellow pros that it CAN be done.

I feel that Shannon Daulton has EARNED a rightful place along side the other great pool champions and should be enshrined into the One Pocket AND Banks H.O.F.'s.

I replied at AZ

cuesmith

Verified Member
I gotta nominate Joey Spaeth and Clem Metz! Both of these guys definitely belong in there before they are forgotten. One problem with the Hall of Fames are that too many younger guys are nominated who are deserving of the honor, but if we let the older guys wait and put the younger guys in, the older guys are forgotten and before long the younger generation of players arent aware of them any more. Shannon is a good example. He's certainly Hall of Fame material but we have to get the older guys inducted before it's too late and they are forgotten. Sorry Terry, I don't mean to bump heads with you but I finally got to see my good friend Danny DiLiberto inducted in the BCA Hall of Fame last night. He believed he would never see it in his lifetime and so many younger guys had already been inducted that he was close to being forgotten because he out lived most of his peers. I think there should be some criteria put in place to prevent this from happening.

JAM

Verified Member
I am thinking that in order for a pool player to be inducted into the ONE-POCKET HOF, it may be a good idea that they are known for their one-pocket prowess and skills set.

Some players are multi-faceted kind of players, known to play all games well.

With that said, Cliff Joyner is not a spring chicken anymore, and if there's anybody who's known for their one-pocket skills, it's Cliff. He's been spotting people left and right, giving up tremendous weight, in ONE-POCKET throughout the years. Why not give the man his propers while he's still alive to enjoy them?!

If the point is to induct a player in based on his overall popularity, forum presence and/or legendary status -- and one-pocket skills are not required -- then I agree that are many legends of the sport who belong in the One-Pocket HOF.

That said, when I think of the term "one-pocket," how can Cliff Joyner not come an anybody's mind who's been involved in pool for the last 30 years?! He's heads and tails above all the other names in this thread when it comes to that game.

That's my opinion, and, by golly, I'm sticking with it. :D

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think there is some catching up to do on the HOF. This is only the eighth year and more folks should go in there before they pass away. These come to mind.

1. Buddy
2. Shannon
3.Cliff
4.Clem M
5. Marcel C
6. Hubert Cokes
7. Gene Skinner
8. Dick McMorran
9. Ike
10. Scott Frost
11. Joey Spaeth
12. Mr. John Henderson
13. Jimmy Reid

All of these could go in this year and there would still be less than 40 all total in the HOF. Who could object on these people??? So these are the lucky 13 I am voting for..............

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think there is some catching up to do on the HOF. This is only the eighth year and more folks should go in there before they pass away. These come to mind.

1. Buddy
2. Shannon
3.Cliff
4.Clem M
5. Marcel C
6. Hubert Cokes
7. Gene Skinner
8. Dick McMorran
9. Ike
10. Scott Frost
11. Joey Spaeth
12. Mr. John Henderson
13. Jimmy Reid

All of these could go in this year and there would still be less than 40 all total in the HOF. Who could object on these people??? So these are the lucky 13 I am voting for..............

Instead of Scott who will go in a little before Shannon.......Jaffar Basheer
And for the banks.....
Bob Bolles
Patch eye (Jaffar)
Johnny Edwards

Bobby

Shannon Daulton for sure. 3 Legends of One pocket tournament Championships against the best in the world....2 of them by the age of 21. That's super strong.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think scott frost still has some time to go and others before him
before getting elected
no question he is an automatic when the time comes