Inside English/Pinching the bank?

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
I don't shoot banks but like One Pocket. Some of the players talk about inside Engflish and pinching the bank. I always thought a level cue and center cue ball was the most accurate banking method. How often do good bankers use inside English/Pinch? When is it used?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Tennessee Joe6 said:
I don't shoot banks but like One Pocket. Some of the players talk about inside Engflish and pinching the bank. I always thought a level cue and center cue ball was the most accurate banking method. How often do good bankers use inside English/Pinch? When is it used?
Joe,

Here is a very basic shot that illustrates the use of inside/pinch. Place the object ball one ball width off the rail at the diamond and put the cueball on the spot. You won't bank the ball cross-side without a touch of inside and maybe a little draw, all depending on your table.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3NXLk4PALV3iXLk3iawa1ieWH4kALV3kUip3kQyi1uCMM@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Joe,

Here is a very basic shot that illustrates the use of inside/pinch. Place the object ball one ball width off the rail at the diamond and put the cueball on the spot. You won't bank the ball cross-side without a touch of inside and maybe a little draw, all depending on your table.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3NXLk4PALV3iXLk3iawa1ieWH4kALV3kUip3kQyi1uCMM@[/CUETABLE]

The draw's never been helpful for me.
Rod.
P.S It gets harder to draw your ball as you get older. ;)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Thanks for the info and WEI. One more question: Do good bankers use inside English on most banks?

No man. They use it when they need to, to shorten it up or to keep the ball from banking long, exactly like Dennis illustrated. If you don't, then you get a double kiss or it goes long. How often do they need to use it? Who can say. How often does a person use low left while playing 10 ball? Just when you need to. I would suggest ordering the two very inexpensive books offered by Freddy Bentivegna who is a regular here and to visit his web site, Banking With The Beard.................

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Now you're talking!

Now you're talking!

Jimmy B said:
No man. They use it when they need to, to shorten it up or to keep the ball from banking long, exactly like Dennis illustrated. If you don't, then you get a double kiss or it goes long. How often do they need to use it? Who can say. How often does a person use low left while playing 10 ball? Just when you need to. I would suggest ordering the two very inexpensive books offered by Freddy Bentivegna who is a regular here and to visit his web site, Banking With The Beard.................

...and just for that I will release what Eddie Taylor said about pinching balls close to the rail, in the only known videotaped instructional bank hint he ever gave out.
When asked about how to pinch a ball close to the rail he said simply, "Just dont ever use draw to try and pinch these shots." You can hit it low, he said, but you must use reverse english to pinch it, not the draw.

Dat's whut he said. Only known recorded bank hint from him.

Beard

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
fred bentivegna said:
...and just for that I will release what Eddie Taylor said about pinching balls close to the rail, in the only known videotaped instructional bank hint he ever gave out.
When asked about how to pinch a ball close to the rail he said simply, "Just dont ever use draw to try and pinch these shots." You can hit it low, he said, but you must use reverse english to pinch it, not the draw.

Beard

That's one of the first things I had to figure out for myself.. "Why the heck am I double-kissing? That draw oughta pull the cue ball out of the way." "Ahhh.. that draw slows the cue ball down upon impact, causing the double-kiss." Next was cutting more on the back-cut banks.. took a while before I really understood the why so much instead of just thinking in basic terms.

The ones that have been dogging me lately are the really sharp, short-angle long table banks. Every once in a while, I'll think I'm getting the hang of them, then I just start double-kissing all over again. Damn this game! :eek:

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

Beard
I have heard about Eddie Taylor saying that too.I'm going to take It a step farther and say that draw Is never ever helpful on any bankshot,ever.The only thing draw Is good for Is getting the cball out of the way or when playing postion.makes the pockets play small and tuff too.IMO John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Joe,

This Is the exact shot I start with,when helping people with banks.I set this up first thing and let them try to make it without me telling them anything.
I can and always learn a whole alot real quick when they start shooting this shot.Draw makes this very diffucult.Draw makes the oball want to go long and that's the last thing you want with this shot.Cueball needs to creep forward with this bankshot.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Thanks guys, You are what makes this forum so good.

Actually,they do tend to use Inside english whenever possiable.But It does not take much at all to stiffin up a bank.(You don't want to spin the cball,It will slip off and you won't get the transfer)If there Is a trick to good bankpool...
that's It.Helps make the pocket play bigger and or eaiser.
PS: I hold just about every bank I shoot.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Joe,

Thanks Dennis,I'm gonna try to explain how to make this shot.

First,you need to over cut this shot and not worry about It going long,cause If you hit It like I'm going to tell ya It won't go long.Ok,this Is what I call a stun hit.Now don't use alot of spin,just a touch of Inside.Now here's the tricks to making this shot.Jack the butt of your cue up just a little,raise your bridge,just alittle,(you need to go down Into the cball with your stroke on this shot).You don't want your cball to spin.(just a touch of Inside) Now,with medium speed, shoot It and stun the cball so that It creeps forward 2 or 3 ins.( the creeping forward with the cball, Is what helps hold the ball up so It doesn't go long)If you start out getting double kisses just keep cutting It a little more untill you make the shot.It's a hard shot If you don't know how to make It.Don't give up,keep playing with It.As soon as you make It the first time,you'll have an (ah ha moment)

In all my years,I have not seen very many people that can make this shot before I show em all these little tricks.I hope some of you guys try this shot and get back to me and let me know how It went for ya.That's alot of my secrets rolled Into one shot.Please don't show this to many people,unless there here on this site.Your welcome,John B.

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
John Brumback said:

First,you need to over cut this shot and not worry about It going long,cause If you hit It like I'm going to tell ya It won't go long.Ok,this Is what I call a stun hit.Now don't use alot of spin,just a touch of Inside.Now here's the tricks to making this shot.Jack the butt of your cue up just a little,raise your bridge,just alittle,(you need to go down Into the cball with your stroke on this shot).You don't want your cball to spin.(just a touch of Inside) Now,with medium speed, shoot It and stun the cball so that It creeps forward 2 or 3 ins.( the creeping forward with the cball, Is what helps hold the ball up so It doesn't go long)If you start out getting double kisses just keep cutting It a little more untill you make the shot.It's a hard shot If you don't know how to make It.Don't give up,keep playing with It.As soon as you make It the first time,you'll have an (ah ha moment)

In all my years,I have not seen very many people that can make this shot before I show em all these little tricks.I hope some of you guys try this shot and get back to me and let me know how It went for ya.That's alot of my secrets rolled Into one shot.Please don't show this to many people,unless there here on this site.Your welcome,John B.

So what your saying John is this is a stop shot, not a draw and the cueball replaces the 14 after the hit. Or close to that spot as the cue may slide left after contact but not go far enough to touch the side rail. Is that correct?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Warren said:
So what your saying John is this is a stop shot, not a draw and the cueball replaces the 14 after the hit. Or close to that spot as the cue may slide left after contact but not go far enough to touch the side rail. Is that correct?

No Warren.You can make It by stopping the cball but It will be eaiser to make If you let the cball CREEP forward.You will never make this shot on a good table by using draw.If you hit It real good and right,the cball will actually move slightly to the RIGHT and go through where the 14 was.That's the part most people can't grasp.Warren,ole buddy,Read closer,hehe.John B.

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
John B.

I was figuring the 14 ball as 2 1/4" diameter. Hit it and move forward 2 to 3" means cball in the 14 spot. Not back and right as the diagram shows which would be draw. But when I hit this shot and make it, my cball moves just left of the 14 ball spot.

Also John I think you use draw english more than you take credit for. In many cases I see you hit balls and the cue ball actually curves back and away from the contact point or stops in it's tracks.

In your 4 ball run from a previous post on here, passing the 2 ball across the corner, you said you use or could use low left english or top. I think if you really look at shots you have taken, draw shows up more than you willing to admit. Hitting the cball below center is using some draw english, speed of the hit magnifies the amount of draw along with cue angle.

Actually,jacking up the cue (as you describe) induces to a point draw english or stun. But depending on the stroke or volicity the cball is actually hit determines if the cball reverses or slides forward depending on speed of the hit.

I read your post and as always try to learn. Learning from you is learning from the best.

Your replies are appreciated. thanks Warren

John Brumback

Verified Member
Warren said:
John B.

I was figuring the 14 ball as 2 1/4" diameter. Hit it and move forward 2 to 3" means cball in the 14 spot. Not back and right as the diagram shows which would be draw. But when I hit this shot and make it, my cball moves just left of the 14 ball spot.

Also John I think you use draw english more than you take credit for. In many cases I see you hit balls and the cue ball actually curves back and away from the contact point or stops in it's tracks.

In your 4 ball run from a previous post on here, passing the 2 ball across the corner, you said you use or could use low left english or top. I think if you really look at shots you have taken, draw shows up more than you willing to admit. Hitting the cball below center is using some draw english, speed of the hit magnifies the amount of draw along with cue angle.

Actually,jacking up the cue (as you describe) induces to a point draw english or stun. But depending on the stroke or volicity the cball is actually hit determines if the cball reverses or slides forward depending on speed of the hit.

I read your post and as always try to learn. Learning from you is learning from the best.

Your replies are appreciated. thanks Warren

Why shoot Warren,you know more about this than I do.I take all that back then.I'll be daggone,I was wrong on everdarn one of them.I see know way you can learn from me.John B.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:

thanks John.. I'm gonna print this out and take to the pool hall next time and shoot this till I can make.... what??? How many should i be able to make out of 10 after practicing it for 20 or 30 shots? For a hack, what should I shoot for? 5 out of 10?

I'm still trying to get out of the habit of my english, not only english but also I tend to use draw or stun on most every bank. It's a damn hard habit to break when you've done it your whole life But I have to change if I want to get better.