End Game Help

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ok heres my question
i often get lost on whats the right shot when there are only a few balls left on the table
can some of you explain your strategies or guidelins of how you approach the end game
im looking for zones on the table you want to move your balls to or zones you dont want your opponent to have balls in
so when you move balls where are you trying to move them
for examples

im sure there are many scenarios i cant think of

but if you can give me your thoughts and experiences when you say to yourself

ok its the end game now

its concepts more than specific shots id like to discuss

thanks to all who repond:)
what should i do now

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Whats The Score

Whats The Score

Larry, the 1st and most important factor before you get your answers is WHATS THE SCORE? Are you leading and protecting the lead or are you behind and need to score more balls than your opponent? keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sappo said:
Larry, the 1st and most important factor before you get your answers is WHATS THE SCORE? Are you leading and protecting the lead or are you behind and need to score more balls than your opponent? keith
i know that that is important
so whats your thinking if you are a head and whats your thinking if you are behind
by now we know the balls are up table:D
but do you keep them there or play the score by deciding to put them in play or keep them out of play???

either way where do you want to put them???

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
p.s. a local pro who has helped me alot on various shots and mechanics
was curipous about this phase on one pocket
he plays sporty 9 ball ]
and plays good one pocket when ive seen him play:)
hes a great shooter but can move too
he asked me for guidelines on this part of the game
i think all 1p players can benefit from this discussion if people want to share

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Interesting question that should get a good variety of responses. I'll be interested to here what you guys have to say.

Here is my take on it.
One pocket is unlike most other pool games. It, and golf on the snooker table, are the only games that you can play for hours on end and carry on a continuous conversation without ever saying a word. You are constantly trying to outwit your opponent and he's trying to do the same to you. In a matter of speaking you get to know the personality of your opponent by the things he does and the way he reacts to what you do.

In time you get to see what he prefers in certain situations, and what ever weakness he might have.

When you're down to just a very few balls on the table it's gets difficult to take everything away from your opponent. Sometimes you think that you left nothing but a creative person will find something that you didn't anticipate.

I think patience is the key in the end game. I search to leave then in the location that I wouldn't want to be in and wait for an opportunity for an offensive shot.
The score and wager will dictate to me whether I should be more aggressive or not.

bstroud

Verified Member
I think your question is too general in nature.

We need a specific number of balls and the score. With just 1 ball on the table and both players needing it the situation is more clear.

Unfortunately the strengths and weaknesses of each player are a huge factor in the overall strategy of the end game.

For example:

Does one player bank better or does one player shoot at everything? These are major factors in where to place the ball.

If you can give us a situation I am sure you will get good advice.

Bill Stroud

Jimmy B

Verified Member
lll said:
so whats your thinking if you are a head and whats your thinking if you are behind
but do you keep them there or play the score by deciding to put them in play or keep them out of play???

I tell you what always helped me a lot when playing one pocket against a superior player like some posters in here. I start singing songs in my mind while I play and get my mind totally off the money do what my gut tell me. Suppose I was playing Artie Bodendorfer for instance and he needs two and I need four, and its near end game, motovate your ass-get in step.

I've Got High Hopes. I've Got High Hopes
I've Got High In The Sky Apple Pie Hopes
So Any Time I'm Feelin Low-Stead Of Letting Go
Just Remember That Ant
Oops There Goes Another Rubber Tree
Shit There Goes Another Rubber Tree
**** It There Goes Another Rubber Tree PLant

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
End Game Strategy-- One Pocket

End Game Strategy-- One Pocket

A couple of axioms. At the end of game, if you are behind with all the balls uptable, you will want to put the balls into play. A key objective is to get two balls on the foot spot and to leave your opponent on the head rail. Your opponent will seldom choose to play safe off of the spotted balls, because it is usually difficult to get the Cue Ball back to the head rail and still be safe. This allows you to shoot in more balls that will also be spotted, and pretty soon all or many of the balls will be in play.

On the other hand, when you are protecting a lead and a ball lands on the foot spot it is your job to remove it at once to keep others from collecting.

When you need one ball, your strategy should be to take at least one and possibly two balls out of play. Try to hang a ball in one of the corner pockets at the head of the table.

Beard

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Out of play

Out of play

I agree with Freddy, if you are ahead, stay ahead and take balls out of play, be patient, your opponent no matter who has to put the balls in play same as you would if behind on the ball count... it is a great thing to remember no matter which side of the coin you are on... I always look to see the score now before I shoot... it reinforces the golden rule of PLAY THE SCORE...

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...here's the answer....

...here's the answer....

lll said:

...the answer to all your questions...lies in the classified section...I have a copy of...Shots, Moves and Strategies for sale....;) .....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
ok heres my question
i often get lost on whats the right shot when there are only a few balls left on the tablecan some of you explain your strategies or guidelins of how you approach the end game
im looking for zones on the table you want to move your balls to or zones you dont want your opponent to have balls in
so when you move balls where are you trying to move them
for example

im sure there are many scenarios i cant think of

but if you can give me your thoughts and experiences when you say to yourself
Larry,

Let's use your scenario of three balls on the table. The score is either 6-6 or 7-5 if you're playing even. In any case you either need one, two, or all three balls.

If you needed one ball it would be advisable to have all three balls uptable and then wait for your opponent to make a mistake since he needs all three. In most cases a player needing all three will do something risky to try to get a ball. If you are playing someone whose tendencies are known to you then you can leave a "teaser" shot in hopes that he'll shoot it and sellout if he misses but you can't do this for anything serious unless it's clearly a sellout shot that you leave. Most good players (in the Mid-West anyway) won't go for a sellout shot just to get one ball if they need all three.

If you need two balls then you just continue the game as normal. You try to get one while not giving up a good shot if you miss. If you get a good shot to get one and play solid shapes on the second one, I would say to definitely shoot it and put everything into making it. If you miss the ball and lose at least you shot a solid shot with a chance to win. All you can ask for in any one-pocket game is one solid opportunity to win the game.

If you need all three balls it will be difficult but not impossible to maneuver them to your advantage all depending on the speed of your opponent. One thing to remember is one of the best ways to move a ball a great distance without difficulty is to shoot it in an uptable pocket. It goes on the spot and you leave distance for him to shoot and very possibly off the headrail as well. If the balls are close together near a corner I would always look for a way to shoot two balls in the direction of my pocket with a carom-combination-bank shot. When you need all three you sometimes have to take a chance to win the game, just wait for the chance to get at least two or all three before you take a well-calculated flyer:D Sometimes it's all you get in that type of situation. Keep playing safe as if you both need one, when the situation calls for it, sometimes a player will scratch or foul trying to "do something". Some guys lose patience and will take a flyer to get the game over, witness Raphael Martinez's 5-railer in game one of his match with Ochoa.

I'm sure I've left a few things out but these are helpful starting points for you.

Dennis

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Hey Larry ..I'm soakin up some of this real good advice also .. One of the keys for me mentioned a few times is patience at the end game

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Key Point:

Key Point:

Do not take all the balls out of play — a fatal mistake that I myself made for years — my rationale was, "If one ball out of play is good, then three or four is better still." A flawed conclusion it turns out.

If you and your opponent are both playing one ball at a time, you remove much of the pressure from your opponent. All the opposition has to do is play safe on one ball.

If there are several balls in play, even though they might present an opportunity for your opponent to make them in one inning, it also makes it many times more difficult for the opposition to play safe when you only need one ball. One ball could be made from anywhere. Your foe will be under extreme pressure trying to keep you from shooting at 2-rail or 3-rail banks that will win the game. Paranoia will have your competition seeing banks going in from everywhere.

Your opponent knows that any ball you are left close to, regardless of the angle, is a possible make. With one ball in play on the table, if the other player keeps leaving you long with the Cue Ball near the cushion, the pressure between the two of you would be about the same. Maybe less for him because he is behind and has nothing to lose. But when he looks at the table and negatively visualizes that he cannot leave you without a shot, and that he has to leave you something to shoot at, the pressure becomes greater on him than you.

Beard

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
fred bentivegna said:
Do not take all the balls out of play — a fatal mistake that I myself made for years — my rationale was, "If one ball out of play is good, then three or four is better still." A flawed conclusion it turns out.

If you and your opponent are both playing one ball at a time, you remove much of the pressure from your opponent. All the opposition has to do is play safe on one ball.

If there are several balls in play, even though they might present an opportunity for your opponent to make them in one inning, it also makes it many times more difficult for the opposition to play safe when you only need one ball. One ball could be made from anywhere. Your foe will be under extreme pressure trying to keep you from shooting at 2-rail or 3-rail banks that will win the game. Paranoia will have your competition seeing banks going in from everywhere.

Your opponent knows that any ball you are left close to, regardless of the angle, is a possible make. With one ball in play on the table, if the other player keeps leaving you long with the Cue Ball near the cushion, the pressure between the two of you would be about the same. Maybe less for him because he is behind and has nothing to lose. But when he looks at the table and negatively visualizes that he cannot leave you without a shot, and that he has to leave you something to shoot at, the pressure becomes greater on him than you.

Beard
This is an excellent post Mr. Beard. Something I firmly believe in.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
There are so many situations, I try to move balls with a purpose whether its banking a ball into balls on my side that need to be opened up or into his balls to tie them up or remove them. One big thing is to keep balls on your side but with an open bank lane, sometimes we tie ourselves up.

I try and leave my cue ball with my opponent shooting out of his pocket and on the rail, makes it tougher obviously for him to do anything and also in that position there may be an error made on his part. When I need say 1 ball and he needs 3-4 then I am trying to keep balls out of play, sometimes you may get into this position where your opponent is savvy enough to get them back in action. When you need 1 ball and your opponent needs 3 and they are all spotted up and your shooting from the kitchen hole things can get messy and games that you should not lose can be lost.

I think a good way to play sometimes is 1 ball one pocket, even if you play a better player even for cheap, you might be surprised how well you do in that department or how weak you are. I got to play a bit with Scott Frost this way and held up well, I am obviously an underdog but my end game is probably one of my better strengths. The best feeling is playing a better player who needs 1 ball and you need 2-3 and you win that game that your an underdog, a big underdog in.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Block banking lanes
If balls are in the pocket, leave them until you get a chance
Play for one ball at a time
Don't scratch, be extra careful with the cue ball
Don't get greedy
Keep your glasses clean

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks to all who posted:)
this thread was more for concepts
many of you gave great insight
some of you felt its too complicated and easier to explain on acase by case discussion which Billy I. started a thread about
if anyone wants to add some ideas this thread doesnt have to die
larry
i'll be looking for end game scenarios to post as starting points for discussion

beatle

Verified Member
larry,

two things:

one, is to learn a few specific shots you can do flawlessly. such as from up table hitting a ball of his on the short rail near his hole up near the side pocket from all the angles and places. that shot will have many variables that get you safely out of a pickle.

second, learn to visualize leaving balls covered behind another ball. the hardest places to get out of is when one ball is in front of another and you are in line with them.