Bank Pool July 9th with **CALCUTTA** @ Red Shoes Billiards

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a BANK POOL TOURNAMENT July 9th, 2011. $50 entry fee (green fee included), $500 added money (based on a full field), double elimination. 12:00 (noon) sign-up and **CALCUTTA**Red Shoes Billiards, 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 (tel.708-388-3700) or redshoesbilliards.com

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Red Shoes said:
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a BANK POOL TOURNAMENT July 9th, 2011. $50 entry fee (green fee included), $500 added money (based on a full field), double elimination. 12:00 (noon) sign-up and **CALCUTTA**Red Shoes Billiards, 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 (tel.708-388-3700) or redshoesbilliards.com
Sounds good to me -- I wish I was near Chicago.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
amen

amen

I too wish I was closer to Chicago and a little further from the Twilight Zone[CH.50],cheers,B

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Truman is playing

Truman is playing

Truman Hogue and Greg Sullivan have showed up for the bank tourn at Red Shoes. They both showed up yesterday. Truman banged 'em around a little with houseman and top banker John Zaksas. They played cheap, John was about 4 games winner but T-man hit a gear, got even and they quit even.

I played for a couple hours with the undercover top banker, Greg Sullivan. Its time his ass was brought to life. He's old, it dont matter no more, he has enough money, and he way too lazy to hustle anymore.
We are from way back competitors and have hooked up often. We caught some flashbacks and both played good. I came out a game ahead. You know that had to happen or this thread would not exist.

I am going to play today, as is Jet Johnson. Jet has been recovering from cancer surgery and therapy. He aint playing too bad considering but his stamina is obviously low.

If figures to be another tough field, Jeff Carter, Piggy, Jet, Sergio, Truman, etc. Chris Gentile called and would have played but he wont be in town for at least a week. He is in Vegas for the World Series of Poker.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
great

great

Thats a great field Freddie.Does Carter play banks as slow as 1-pocket?Last time I saw him he put me to sleep,ah well,its still good,B

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Carter slow, but many slower

Carter slow, but many slower

usblues said:
Thats a great field Freddie.Does Carter play banks as slow as 1-pocket?Last time I saw him he put me to sleep,ah well,its still good,B

Unfortunately, players that really know the game of banks, especially when playing other people that know the game of banks, usually play slow. Piggy, Jet, Truman, Tony Coleman, are all exceptions to that rule. However, I played Jet and Tony Coleman in the tourney and they both slowed down considerably. I hate it. As slow as I play, I hate it when others play as slow or slower.

I caught a massive dose of slow grueling play all day yesterday. I played straight thru for about 10 1/2 hours without a break. By 10:30 Pm I couldnt spell my name, I was so groggy. I started playing with Greg Sullivan before the tourn started. He is another speed ball. Not. The game took 1 1/2 hrs and he beat me in the 1 hole. He made me promise to post the result of the game on the forum because I had posted that I prevailed over him the night before.

My next match was with Ed Gobbo, a guy who plays me in my basement once a week. He has studied me and tries to plays my style. The worst possible thing that you can do to me. Plus he has adopted all the sharks and psyches that I used 25 yrs ago. I am way too lazy to do any of that anymore, but when he does it, it is irritating.

The match was a nightmare, even tho I won easily. It took 3 1/2 hrs. At the end with me needing 1, he needing 7, and all the balls tied up, he was still taking 2 min a shot and continuing to tie up balls. Now that is not my style, but he does it just to aggravate me.

Next up immediately was Jet. The 2nd worst opponent I could have next to Ed Gobbo. I played good the first rack and came ahead 9 to 6. We were playing race to 23 balls full rack, a very good bank format. Since I worked with Jet on his game, he really plays my style, and even worse, shoots good. So 20 thousand end rail safeties later he won that match.

My last match, which also came immediately, was with Tony "Banks" Coleman.
By now I was in La La Land, and when even Tony started slowing things down and looking over his options, I packed it in, mentally and physically.

I staggered home without knowing who won. Jet and Carter were still alive on the winners side and were playing each other when I left at 10:30 pm.
Greg Sullivan, Piggy, Tony Coleman, and Ed Gobbo were all still kicking also.

Nice tourn. They also held a Calcutta. I went for a box top from Post Raisin Bran Flakes.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
rhythm

rhythm

Excellent reporting,I can see a job as a Senior Editor,New York Times in your future.....seriously,just speaking for myself and growing up playing 14.1 90% of the time,I was dead without rhythm and I realize you can't use it very much in one pocket cause your looking at 2 dozen variables EVERY shot unlike 14.1.But man,banks,9-ball????Come on.Anyway to bring this to a merciful close,we used to call it Carterizing as in "Man,he really Carterized him with that shot".But all things are trendy and pool is no different.Thanks again for the news,glad to hear your man is coming around,adieu,Jack

Jimmy B

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Unfortunately, players that really know the game of banks, especially when playing other people that know the game of banks, usually play slow. Piggy, Jet, Truman, Tony Coleman, are all exceptions to that rule. However, I played Jet and Tony Coleman in the tourney and they both slowed down considerably. I hate it. As slow as I play, I hate it when others play as slow or slower.

I caught a massive dose of slow grueling play all day yesterday. I played straight thru for about 10 1/2 hours without a break. By 10:30 Pm I couldnt spell my name, I was so groggy. I started playing with Greg Sullivan before the tourn started. He is another speed ball. Not. The game took 1 1/2 hrs and he beat me in the 1 hole. He made me promise to post the result of the game on the forum because I had posted that I prevailed over him the night before.

My next match was with Ed Gobbo, a guy who plays me in my basement once a week. He has studied me and tries to plays my style. The worst possible thing that you can do to me. Plus he has adopted all the sharks and psyches that I used 25 yrs ago. I am way too lazy to do any of that anymore, but when he does it, it is irritating.

The match was a nightmare, even tho I won easily. It took 3 1/2 hrs. At the end with me needing 1, he needing 7, and all the balls tied up, he was still taking 2 min a shot and continuing to tie up balls. Now that is not my style, but he does it just to aggravate me.

Next up immediately was Jet. The 2nd worst opponent I could have next to Ed Gobbo. I played good the first rack and came ahead 9 to 6. We were playing race to 23 balls full rack, a very good bank format. Since I worked with Jet on his game, he really plays my style, and even worse, shoots good. So 20 thousand end rail safeties later he won that match.

By now I was in La La Land, and when even Tony started slowing things down and looking over his options, I packed it in, mentally and physically.

I staggered home without knowing who won. Jet and Carter were still alive on the winners side and were playing each other when I left at 10:30 pm.

Nice tourn. They also held a Calcutta. I went for a box top from Post Raisin Bran Flakes.

Beard

Great job Freddie. You have the patience of Job for sure, and incredible writing skills as well, not to mention being one of the very finest cueist and pressure players from the Windy City - Chicago- My Kind Of Town Chicago Is. I remember winning tournaments in beer joints and getting ten dollars and a case of Budweiser beer. It was on bar tables and I put five dollars in the table. I remember stumbling in some bar and they were having an eight ball tournament with a forty dollar first place. I was outside when they sent for me. When I went in I realized the owner had never run a tournament. I was up first and had to play and beat each and every one of the entries to win one after the other. I won about 8 matches in a row and then lost. The 14th guy was the last one (an employee) who won the last match and got first place. That was a different format for me. I wanted some payback on that one, so me and a friend did a trick on his pinball machine with a wire. ding ding ding.........................

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:

Beard
Thanks Freddy -- does sound like a pretty good crew there! Carter finished pretty well at the US Open One Pocket in Vegas, if I recall.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
How did I do that?

How did I do that?

This mornings post was an amazing feat, since I am not sure how I was able to do it. As soon as I finished I went right back to sleep and slept for 4 hrs. Thats how exhausted I was from playing 10 hrs.

When I got home I felt as if I had gotten run over by a UPS truck.:rolleyes:
Am returning to Earth now and am faced with the finality that I will never be able to compete in a day long tourn successfully -- anymore. Can hold up for 2 -3 hrs but thats it. Would need some new form of old man's dope, but there aint none. I tried that 5 hr energy shit, would need to use that intravenously.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tony Coleman/Jeff Carter final

Tony Coleman/Jeff Carter final

Tony Banks Coleman and Jeff Carter decided to split the 1st place money after playing all day and into the wee hours. Greg Sullivan offered to put up the entry fees for all the events at DCC if the two would play it out. They didnt.

Finishing a surprising (to some) third, was Greg Sullivan. He like me, played all day and ran completely out of gas late and had to forfeit his match with Carter in the middle of it due to elevated blood pressure. He had a match on the losers side due him also, but he forfeited that too.

He's fine now and on the way back to KY with Truman.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Last word

Last word

My protege, Riley Jet Johnson, recovering from Chemo, radiation, and an operation to remove cancer from his lung, played yesterday.
With having enough stamina an obvious issue, he still finished deep into the tourney.
In his first match he beat Truman in the one hole, firing in a long straight back on the straight back master.
He lost to Carter and who else I dont know, as I left at 10:30 pm.

Beard

Oh yeah, it was a 32 player board.

u12armresl

Verified Member
I know I've said this before, but more people would come with more notice.

July 4th posting for a tournament on the 9th doesn't allow much time for us working stiffs to get time off and get a group of guys together.

There are several people from Indiana who would like to play in the one pocket and banks.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
fred bentivegna said:
This mornings post was an amazing feat, since I am not sure how I was able to do it. As soon as I finished I went right back to sleep and slept for 4 hrs. Thats how exhausted I was from playing 10 hrs.

When I got home I felt as if I had gotten run over by a UPS truck.:rolleyes:
Am returning to Earth now and am faced with the finality that I will never be able to compete in a day long tourn successfully -- anymore. Can hold up for 2 -3 hrs but thats it. Would need some new form of old man's dope, but there aint none. I tried that 5 hr energy shit, would need to use that intravenously.

Beard
lmao @ freddie, i can identify with you. I played in Truman's tournament last november, and ended up tied for 5th. from a field of 60 top bankers from all over. I was one whooped puppy when i staggered out. I had a great laugh at you talking about the 5 hr. energy shit, lol. B> Jim