for the rules guys

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Someone just called and asked me this.
Shooter knocks ball off table and also makes one in his pocket. Does he keep shooting ? I said no foul and flip a coin because I have no idea.:confused:
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Shooter knocks ball off table and also makes one in his pocket. Does he keep shooting ? I said no foul and flip a coin because I have no idea.:confused:
Rod.
He keeps shooting if he's playing me. It's usually played a foul by the tournament crowd.

RBL

senor

Verified Member
The way I learned to play the game it was considered a good shot if you could knock an object ball off the table and not the cue ball. I think this falls into the cue ball fouls only domain.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I've seen this played several times during my Seattle days. No foul. Because that was a known "house" rule, it also applied to other games too. Although by far, it was applied during onepocket.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
He keeps shooting if he's playing me. It's usually played a foul by the tournament crowd.

RBL

Dennis that's what I said also. As I remember, playing 9 ball it's not a foul. You make the 9 ball on a combo and one goes off the table you win. You don't continue shooting if you make any other ball.
Rod. <--------I remember they were coming up with new rules about this in the 60's.

PS, It's been a looong time since I played 9 ball.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keeps shooting
ball gets spotted when his inning ends or all balls off the table
thats how i would play it
in one pocket
in 9 ball:confused:
probably the same way???

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Dennis that's what I said also. As I remember, playing 9 ball it's not a foul. You make the 9 ball on a combo and one goes off the table you win. You don't continue shooting if you make any other ball.
Rod. <--------I remember they were coming up with new rules about this in the 60's.

PS, It's been a looong time since I played 9 ball.
inspite of my above post i guess in 9 ball it would not be as impressive to go 8 and out:D :rolleyes: :eek:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
senor said:
The way I learned to play the game it was considered a good shot if you could knock an object ball off the table and not the cue ball. I think this falls into the cue ball fouls only domain.

The rules have gotten worse not better. I mean they are realy bad. I dont no who makes the rules.

But the need to learn what rules are and why rules are made.

And if they are not qualified they should not make any rules. Let the top ten or 20 players make them.

And if they are splite on a rule 50 50 vote. Let three players like Nick Varner Allen Hopkines and Buddy Hall vote on the rule.

And witchever rule gets 2 out off 3 votes thate the rule.

And I recomend that every 3 or 5 years they go through the rules again in case they need too change a rule.

And have the players vote on it. Not someone that realy doesnt no or isnt qualified.

THe good and smart players no what the rules shoild be. And they are the players that will have too play by those rules.

A lot off people are makeing Rules and laws and have no buisness making rules and laws. Because the havant learned what rules or laws are good or bad.

Wayne

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.

According to the official rules of one pocket adopted by onepocket.org it is a foul.

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Wayne said:
According to the official rules of one pocket adopted by onepocket.org it is a foul.

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne

Thanks Wayne. :)

This is why I pay little attention to the rules.

This one is inane. :confused:

Knocking one off the table was always a valid one pocket shot.

I would never tell anyone it was a foul, my only question was, does the shooter lose his turn.

Looks like Artie is correct about the rules. ;)

Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
androd said:
Thanks Wayne. :)

This is why I pay little attention to the rules.

This one is inane. :confused:

Knocking one off the table was always a valid one pocket shot.
I would never tell anyone it was a foul, my only question was, does the shooter lose his turn.

Looks like Artie is correct about the rules. ;)
Rod, I'm trying to think of a situation where a player would want to purposely knock an OB off the table. I don't recall ever seeing that. Do you have an example?

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Wayne said:

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne[/QUOTE

THe rule is redicoulous. THe only foul should be if the cue ball goes off the table. Or even if the cue ball stops on top off the rail Witch I seen happen

But the only fowl should be is cue ball off the table. It does not matter how meny balls go off the table they all get spoted up.

BUt you cant spot the cue ball up with the balls. Or it woulld be another silly rule. But some fool could make that a rule too.

I would like to go one step further And I would like too have the name off the person who made the rule. And what makes hum qualified to even make a rule. I would like too her those qouistions answered.

Who made the rule? What makes him Qualified too make the rule? And last her from the person who made the rule WHY he made it a rule. THis would help everyone too see and understand

Why the rules are what the are. And see if they should be changed or just exceptet because those are the rules.

And were the rules ever made correctly. Or were they just made too have rules . Because bad rules are better then no rules. And the game did need too have rules.

And this can all be changed and done correctly. And have good rules that are thought out and make sense. By players and people who no what they are doing.

I am bring it out because thats what needs too be done. And let everyone no who made the rules and WHY. And if the rule is not a good rule it needs eoo be changed.

Tell a good rule is figured out. But its realy important too no who made these rules.

Can someone put the names off the people who made these rules?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Rod, I'm trying to think of a situation where a player would want to purposely knock an OB off the table. I don't recall ever seeing that. Do you have an example?

Doc

I've maybe done this a dozen times in my life. (give or take) when you're trying to give your opponent a ball or possibly double it out of his pocket.
I.E. The 10 ball,and you feel the 4 ball is coming back to hit the CB.

I hit down on the CB and get the 4 ball to hop. It goes off the table instead of kissing back or hitting the 3 ball and coming back to the CB.

It's the same stroke the 14.1 players use to hop the CB in to the middle of the pack instead of running into it.
Rod. <-----hope this makes sense.:)

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3Cakh3DSCI3EOrb3FKBg3GChP3HBJt3IRlj3JbjV4KBKU3LGpL3MSIS3NBIy3ODFY3PIey@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Wayne said:

Thanks again Wayne ! :)
I didn't mean to get you involved in the preaching.
The info was informative.:rolleyes:
Rod.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Thanks again Wayne ! :)
I didn't mean to get you involved in the preaching.
The info was informative.:rolleyes:
Rod.

If you can knock a object ball off the table and not the cue ball. You can show me how its done. And then also explain why you would want too do it?

The cue ball is the whole key. Just like if you shoot a ball in another pocket you spot the ball up or if its in your opponents pocket he gets the credit for the ball.

But if you scratch in any pocket with the cue ball. The rules change and its a fowl or scratch. And its cue ball in hand behind the line. Even if the cue ball goes off the table.

And if you follow the game ball in the pocket your opponent does not get credit for the ball. Or if he makes youre ball and jumps the table you dont get credit for the ball.

But if you make the ball and dont jump the table you loose. And stangre things can happen.

And Like I said why would you want to shoot yhe object ball off the table. It would be ver hard too find a good reason too do that. And why would you want too do it?

bstroud

Verified Member
I have had a situation where my opponent has his game ball hanging in the jaws and I have tried to make it and jump the cue ball off the table.

Once at the Billiard Den in LA I tried this shot playing Marvin Henderson. I was trying to get his ball out and go off the table. His object ball not only went up in the air it landed in my pocket and the cue ball stayed on the table. Go figure.

I am with Artie on these stupid rules. It has never been a foul to knock an object ball off the table and it still isn't when I play. I make sure before I start the there is no 3 fouls loss of game and no foul for sending an object ball airborne. Only a foul if the cue ball goes off the table.

Bill Stroud

John Brumback

Verified Member
androd said:
Rod.

No he doesn't keep shooting and any ball off the table Is a foul.
Plain and simple really. Sounds like some just make up there own rules.lol
John B.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:
John B.

John, we're a lot older than you and the rules were always " fouls on the CB only."
With the advent of tournaments and several ruling bodies the rules have changed many times. Some of us are stuck in the past. :p

It isn't we make up our own rules, we just keep some of the more senseable ones. :rolleyes: Beside when you get old it's hard to play, where it's a foul to touch an OB, especially when you hand isn't so steady at times. LOL
Rod.

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
androd said:
John, we're a lot older than you and the rules were always " fouls on the CB only."
With the advent of tournaments and several ruling bodies the rules have changed many times. Some of us are stuck in the past. :p

It isn't we make up our own rules, we just keep some of the more senseable ones. :rolleyes: Beside when you get old it's hard to play, it's a foul to touch an OB, especially when you hand isn't so steady at times. LOL
Rod.

I understand Rod,but how In the world would a ball off the table not be called a foul? I'm not all that young,I'm 47 and I'v been around quite a bit.
I remember 2 shot pushout playing 9 ball,lol. I recon as long as you both agree then It won't matter.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
John B.

RAther then explaining the hole thing . I guess you dont like hering the explnations,

But I made another pose explaining that. If its not explained then how to you get the correct rule without explaining it.

Or should it be plain and simple and just say thays the rule and thats it. Or should it be explained.

And uf its not explained howe are people going too see what the rule should be. Just making a rule with out explaining it is use less.

The important answer is why thats the rule and that has too be explained Why.

So For people who dont want too her the Why's and explnations. I will just give a simple answer to the rule.

Its Dumb Its Stupiet And only fools would make that rule that dont no anything about gambling or pool. The onl Fowle needs too be in forced is a cue ball foul.

Not object balls jumping the table weather ist on object ball or 5 . You spot them all up like little soldiers.

And I have played one pocket a lot. I might have played more one pocket games then anyone.

And I no for a fact that I have studied the game and the rules more then anyone.

Because thats part off how I hustled looking for angles and ways to beat something whatever the game might be.

And I have done this my whole life. I no what good rules are I no what they should be. I no why they were changed and why they even changed good rules that did not need changing.

A lot off rules were made too speed up the game. Or give aweeker player a better chance to win. A lot off rules were changed because people didnt no what they were doing.

And some rules got changed because off TV and how much time they had to play and finish the match.
So you see the rules were changed not because the old rules were no good. They were changed to satisfie the promotorsand TV.

And people didnt care and let it happen and went along with whatecer was done with the rules. And that is were we are today.

The rules were not made to make better rules. They were made for the convence and pourpose off the tournaments and TV and the sponserers.

So the rules got worse not better. And I am not a big fan off nine ball. Because its a very simple game too play. BUt When they made the rule no push out.

And you get cue ball in hand on a fowl is the dumbest rule in pool. Why call it nine ball. Call it Shooting nine ball craps. And were ever the cue ball and object ball goes nobody knowes.

I no Buddy Hall made a big issue out off being able to push out if you are hocket witch I agree 100%. Why should you have too loose the whole game because off a bad role or shot.

And too give your opponernt cue ball in hand is a complete joke. Your not giving him cueball in hand. You are gining hinm the whole game. And Further more it showes how dumb the rule is.

When someone breackes the balls and makesa ball or doesnt make a ball. Why is he allowed too role out then when he is hocket. And not on other shots were he is hooket.

ITs completly buzerk. And its doesnt take any more time too rolr out. Then to figure out how to hit the ball at some redicoulous angle.

Or were tou atr lockt up completly. And have too give up the whole match,. Because you are hocket or snookered were its imposable to hit the ball. Or sell out completly.

Thats not pool and its completly wrong. You loose the game because you cant role out. And you cant hit the ball. And the rule forces you to sell out the game and loos the whole match because off a dumb rule.

Every game you should be alowed to play safe and give yourself a chance too win.

The rules are horrable. And the need too change to make pool a better game. And dont let the rule decide who wins the game. Let the players decide who wins or looses by thier playing. Not by a rule.

Make good rules and fair rules for everyone. Dont change the beauthy off the game and the compatition by rules that are no good and take away the skill off the game.

The players need too make the rules and agree on them not some one looking to make money off the game or Tv. And make rules for Tv or rules too take away from the more skilled player. They dont do that inthe other games and sporte Ehy pool.