Online Practice Journal

youngstown

Verified Member
When I’m playing a lot and I’m really trying to push myself I keep a journal - marking the drill(s) that I do and what I scored, or maybe who I played and how I fared etc. Over the years, I have accumulated a pretty good amount of drills, but there’s probably only five that I do somewhat regularly. (Maybe I’ll post some more later on.)

After golf season ended this year, I tried to get back into playing and was doing some of those drills and I wasn’t scoring that great for the most part...I had moments here and there but finally tonight, I decided to go back to the basics.

Spot shots!

As with any drill, it’s not so much what you’re doing but how much attention you’re paying to what is going on with the object ball or the CB, or your stroke. Tonight, after the first 10 balls of trying to shoot with the object ball in the center of the table and the CB lined up at the top of the kitchen for a straight on shot, I think I missed the very first shot and probably two or three others in the first 10 balls. Rusty! I set aside the ego easily and took a few seconds to think about what I was doing wrong. (Missing to the left with left spin on the CB). Then I set up another 10 balls and made them consecutively (but still was a little sloppy on the aim and spin), so I moved the object ball 6 inches closer towards one of the side pockets, to do it again. (Each time I make 10 in a row I’ll move the object ball close to the side pocket again. Then after I can do three sets in a row I’ll try using a draw stroke then follow stroke. Then I’ll put the object ball back to the center of the table and I’ll put it in a pocket reducer, which is when things get real tough. On and on...)

It usually takes me 20 or 30 minutes to warm up my mind to pay attention to the spin I’m putting on the CB (by accident) and what side of the object ball I missing on whether I make it in the pocket or not. Then there’s a few stroke mechanic type things that I pay attention to as well (See Scott Lee for that info...)

Usually after a couple days spending an hour or two on it, I get pretty sharp. Once stop shots are mastered I’ll start the drill over again with draw and then follow, eventually following the CB into the pocket. The best that I’ve done was shooting 6 or 7 out of 10 thru a pocket reducer and following the CB in as well. (I don’t think that I will be able to do that now that I have a tighter Diamond table.)

The goal for tonight was just to make 30 balls in a row. (I didn’t reach my goal because I ended up stopping and making this post instead.) Maybe tomorrow I’ll get to using high or low...hey that rhymes...🙄...g’night.

youngstown

Verified Member
Practiced some more stop shots but never made 30 in a row, tried a few times but noticed something in my stroke, so stopped and practiced lags instead while I worked it out...plus it was late at night so I was quieter this way...

Attachments

• 71B65E20-F003-4A66-AE91-25BDD7580BD3.jpeg
    71B65E20-F003-4A66-AE91-25BDD7580BD3.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7

youngstown

Verified Member
Spot drill - Practiced during my lunch break, and scored a 72. Missed an easy shot because I held back a bit on the stroke, so caught the left facing of the pocket. I’m not sure why but it’s hard to keep doing the same thing repeatedly. That’s why IMO this drill is great practice.