Search results

1. K

My take on MN Pool Bootcamp

I went to work with Demetrius Jelatis in September of last year. I would have written this sooner, but I am in the middle of some career changes and when I am not working on that, I chase my toddler. The combination of the two, keeps me pretty busy. Also, I wanted to sit with the experience for...
  2. K

For Those Playing in the DCC that are not there yet

Mason Koch posted a picture of the pockets at the Derby on his facebook page. It seems the DCC has significantly tightened the pockets of all the tables. I will get there tomorrow, but if this proves to be true, I may revaluate my willingness to attend the tournament. I am sick of...
  3. K

I am Slow Learner

I am not sure what my problem is, but when people offer widely accepted maxims as advice, without reasoning as to WHY that advice is good, I find myself just unable to buy into the advice, until I know why it is right…even if the advice seems basically good. Case in point: Smooth transitions...
  4. K

Permanent Punishment

I posed this question in Wayne's thread about his AZ post to no one in particular, and no one answered it despite their willingness to offer ideas on a number of other things. I posed this question to Steve on AZ, and he did not answer it. So, to the forum: Even if we assume, for the...
  5. K

2016 dcc

I have been fortunate to attend the 14, 15, and 16 DCC events. Each of these years, I attended Saturday to Wednesday. This year, there was an announcement that this was the largest Bank Pool Tournament ever with 501 players participating. However, in general, there seemed (to me) to be fewer...
  6. K

*** Old Lambros and By George Case, Swap at DCC ***

I would like to sell my old Lambros cue, and "By George" Case. I was hoping to make an agreement here and do the exchange down at the DCC. The cue is heavily used, it has one shaft, damage to the shaft end of the ultra joint (as seen in the pictures--the little extension that sets on the shaft...
  7. K

The Role of Long Sessions in Skill Development

Some guy made a recent post on AZ asking about players that reached a “pro” level in their playing ability after picking pool up “late” in life—like maybe late teens. Jay Helfert responded to the guy and he brought up a topic that I have been thinking about lately—“long sessions”. He defined...
  8. K

Learning “Cheap” from the Hacker and People of His Speed

I was paying some attention to the “Hacker challenges Lou” thread. In that thread, the Hacker mentions at least once, but I think more than once, that he will not let people learn from him “cheap”. Fair enough. I suspect many of Hacker’s lessons were expensive, so he thinks other should...
  9. K

Question for John Brumback

John, I have noticed that there is a particular bank that you like to shoot while practicing and warming up-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79smr2qN1ns You shoot this cross-corner bank MANY times in succession. My question is why? Is there a skill, point of view, or some information that...
  10. K

Really Long Pool Sessions

Is there a correlation between the skill level of a player and their participation in extra long sessions of pool? Or maybe another way to say it: Do you all think very long sessions are required or at least extremely helpful in moving from proficient amateur to a more accomplished level of...
  11. K

John Brumback: Tips From A Pro

Mr. Brumback made a few really good posts on the AZ main forum, which provided some great nuggets of wisdom. Let's use this thread to make Mr. Brumback give us normal people some more tips. Mr. Brumback, more tips from a pro...please? Sincerely, kollegedave P.S. I promise to use all...
  12. K

Musings on the 2014 DCC

Musings on the 2014 DCC Efren the Great One of the most memorable things I witnessed was other people, including great players, taking time out to watch Efren. As good as Efren still is, time will, at some point, catch up to him. It gets us all. If you have not seen Efren play, do it. He...
  13. K

US Open 1hole

In reading the homepage, I wasn't sure if the US Open 1pocket started on 8/29 or 9/1. Does anyone know the day and time players have to show up for the 1pocket? Also, does anyone know when the 1pocket finals are scheduled? I looked on the website for the BCA, but it requires pdf, which I...
  14. K

Boston Area Help

I am in Boston attending graduate school, and despite my hectic schedule I try my best to practice twice a week. However, this last week has been all I can take with pool halls in this area not opening in accordance with their posted times for opening and generally treating their customers bad...
  15. K

The Break

Something to this effect was posted over on AZ a few days ago, and I wanted to make sure the members of this forum received its benefit. The original poster on AZ Billiards was advising another member to think of the one pocket break not an attempt to strike the head ball and second ball...