Benny

cuesmith

Verified Member
Grady said:
I just heard that Benny Conway passed. True?
First I heard of it. RIP Goose if this is true!

I've got a funny "Goose" story. :

Gary and I were at a tournament at JC's Primetime Lounge in Franklin Ohio back in the 80's. I was already out of the tournament and Gary was waiting for his next victim. We were back in the restaurant area out of the way just relaxing. Benny Conway was at one of those "Crane Games" that were so popular back then where if you were lucky you could win a stuffed animal worth about a quarter but most of the time the crane dropped it before you could get it to the drop shute. Gary and I were just talking and we saw Benny get up and go back to the bar and got a roll of quarters. He sat back down at the crane and resumed pumping quarters into the game. a little bit went by and Benny got up again and went and got another roll of quarters and started at it again. This went on for about an hour and a half! Benny must have gotten at least 6 or 7 rolls of quarters just while Gary and I were setting there and he was there before we set down. He had to walk by us every time he went broke on his way to the bar for another roll. Finally as he walked by, he noticed Gary and I kind of smiling at him and he stopped. Benny said "I know this looks bad, but it's not really as bad as it looks! I'm getting staked!" I about choked on my pop when he said that! Gary and I looked at each other and busted out laughing! I never heard of anyone getting staked to play the Crane Game!