Small Revalations - Please share yours!

pocket.speed

It seems my progression in one pocket has come in spurts when I've had a small revalation or moment of clarity while at the table.

My latest was when I realized that while moving a ball towards my pocket it was often times beneficial to give up 5-10 inches in distance from my pocket with the object ball in an effort to gain better cover on the rock, especially if the bank didn't have a chance of falling in the first place.

I know this is a very basic concept and that most of you are well beyond this point in the progression of your own games, but I was hoping some of you would share some of the small thoughts that have changed the way you play or percieve the game.

-Mike

8andout

Verified Member
Take an intentional foul. It will do you wonders and clear your head from that dreadful situation your were in.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It seems my progression in one pocket has come in spurts when I've had a small revalation or moment of clarity while at the table.

My latest was when I realized that while moving a ball towards my pocket it was often times beneficial to give up 5-10 inches in distance from my pocket with the object ball in an effort to gain better cover on the rock, especially if the bank didn't have a chance of falling in the first place.

I know this is a very basic concept and that most of you are well beyond this point in the progression of your own games, but I was hoping some of you would share some of the small thoughts that have changed the way you play or percieve the game.

-Mike

Mike
All shots or banks don't have to be directed exactly to the pocket.
Many times the CB location is more important.
Sometimes caroming off the stack can be more effective than banking backwards toward your pocket.
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Along these lines, "dead balls" certainly don't have to be quite dead if you can hide whitey at the same time :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

-Mike

For what it's worth, here's one of the things that I learned one day and never forgot. It came in the midst of an exchange of relatively meaningless safeties and I realized I was always trying to "do something" and it would sometimes hurt me. That's when I realized that you just had to look at the table and see what it would give you. Then I had my idea: When there's nothing to do, do nothing. Very simple, so obvious, and almost comical when you think of it but it's worth a million:).

Dennis

pocket.speed

I really appreciate all of your replies, some really sound advice. Dennis, that's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. I'll bring that thought with me to the table next time I play.

edit: I'm not sure how I wound up with the thumbs down... certainly didn't mean it.

beatle

Verified Member
Play opponents you are smarter than,this way you make the better decisions.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think the best advice I can give to not only a novice, but also players of all levels, is to ..." be realistic about your choice of shots and the ensuing results it figures to deliver"

I found out as I was learning one pocket that I would try to take unnecessary risk when the reward would be the same had I taken a simpler shot. There are different reasons for players to take unnecessary risk, some are meaningful..to a degree..some are not, some are plain foolish. Also, Like Cowboy say's "if you don't know what to do..do nothing" Well, nothing means 'something simple', and that may appear as nothing when in fact it is significant.

Dr. Bill

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

-Mike

thinking you'll agree, this site has tremendous information. not only in your thread but thru-out, take heed and good luck ...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For what it's worth, here's one of the things that I learned one day and never forgot. It came in the midst of an exchange of relatively meaningless safeties and I realized I was always trying to "do something" and it would sometimes hurt me. That's when I realized that you just had to look at the table and see what it would give you. Then I had my idea: When there's nothing to do, do nothing. Very simple, so obvious, and almost comical when you think of it but it's worth a million:).

Dennis

Dennis,
As you know Miami was the master of this concept. He was a real bunter.

piggybank04

Verified Member
mine was when i realized being in the stack or frozen to the ball wasnt nearly the catastrophic event i had previously believed, and on a related note, there is hardly ever a situation you cannot escape from, you just have to carefully weigh the options, and develop a fighting attitude like mine---this will take a person a long way if they have some skills......

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Sometimes Aggressive defense is just as valuable as Aggressive offense.

if that makes any sense.. lol

Dudley

pocket.speed

Not every shot has to be a great shot, just a good shot, the smallest moving of a ball may turn out to change the game in your favor.--Smitty

Smitty, I like this thought. Along these lines, I've noticed in some of Bill Stroud's WWYD responses he comments on the way the balls are lying, and often reccomends something simple that I wouldn't have even looked at in order to change the way table plays.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
For what it's worth, here's one of the things that I learned one day and never forgot. It came in the midst of an exchange of relatively meaningless safeties and I realized I was always trying to "do something" and it would sometimes hurt me. That's when I realized that you just had to look at the table and see what it would give you. Then I had my idea: When there's nothing to do, do nothing. Very simple, so obvious, and almost comical when you think of it but it's worth a million :)

Dennis

Its only "worth a million", if you are a writer for "Seinfeld" (get it ?)...I noticed when I destroyed you a few years back,..you certainly did a whole LOT of 'nothing' ! :rolleyes::p

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
shot

shot

Unfortunately most of us do not take intentional fouls... when I finally figured that out, I noticed that my opponent would not automatically leave me in a position to stick him somewhere horrid...spot a ball or a coin, smile, and wait for his reply...
Unbelievable to me is most wont take a foul straight back on you, even if they know you can only run a couple of balls max during the game...

Also never take a shot that is outside of your wheelhouse... unless the entire game depends upon it... then pray to the pool gods, see the ball going in, put the universe in control and play the shot to the best of your ability... sometimes you will amaze even yourself, and if you miss, what the hell, it was beyond your ability anyway...

B

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Unbelievable to me is most wont take a foul straight back on you, even if they know you can only run a couple of balls max during the game...

Also never take a shot that is outside of your wheelhouse... unless the entire game depends upon it... then pray to the pool gods, see the ball going in, put the universe in control and play the shot to the best of your ability... sometimes you will amaze even yourself, and if you miss, what the hell, it was beyond your ability anyway...

B

Very good advice Bille. :)
Rod.
P.S. I almost never take an intentional, my plan when I start is to make as many as I can, not to give away any.
Just the Sucker in me I guess.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Its only "worth a million", if you are a writer for "Seinfeld" (get it ?)...I noticed when I destroyed you a few years back,..you certainly did a whole LOT of 'nothing' ! :rolleyes::p

If you don't STFU I will post that pic I told you I almost posted:p.

Cowboy "picture posting S.O.B." Dennis

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Shh ... Don't Share This Secret!

Shh ... Don't Share This Secret!

This little tidbit may sound silly, but it might work. It has for me, anyway.

When I make a ball, but screw up on the shape big time, here’s a mental exercise that I’ve used:

I tell myself that my opponent has just missed an extremely easy shot. I shouldn’t even be at the table. I’m lucky to be out of my chair.

So the position isn’t that good. So what? I’m shooting and she has to sit. The shot doesn’t look so difficult to me now that I ‘know’ how badly she messed up.

Admittedly, this requires a dose of self-delusion, an art I’ve mastered over the years.

Spreading the gospel a la Sunny is my life,

Sunny