Pools Golden Years

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Los Angeles had so many pool halls back in the 60's that you could not drive 5 minutes without finding one in any direction. Today there isn't one room in central LA or Hollywood until you get to Santa Monica or the Valley. That West LA area including Hollywood had a ton of action, plenty of stakehorses and lots of players.Hollywood Jack was on everyones "to do" list in that you had to go to his room and play him some snooker or one pocket. If he made a score at the track (which he frequently did) you had a shot at making a score because he would gamble. I can't imagine how many times Henderson must have played him snooker starting in the late 50's up until maybe the early 80's.

Yep, even a room in Palos Verdes....and the original Hard Times in Costa Mesa/McCready, had a fireplace and a nice leather couch in the pool room. Brienza went busted one of the days I was there, he wanted $25 for his nearly new Fellini ($80)....all the pool players would give em was $15.....I told em I can write a check for $25, he was good with that. Had that case for all the years I had my Zam, that I got new in 78, sold it in 92, divorce 3 shafts She gave me the Fourth :)..../ivory ferrules.

beatle

Verified Member
pool halls in every town in the 60's. and action in many of them. every ten or so had real good action if you could lay it down. guys like paul brienza only shot full speed. two racks and you knew just what the game needed to be so he couldnt win. and he played decent could beat most players in a room, but dogged it for money and not quite able to get out in a game when open. he was a great guy and not really a pool hustle rather a pool player. most players play like that and cant understand how someone can make money at pool.