Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Verified Member

Default Hall of fame???

Are there going to be new entries into the HOFs this year???
Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Hall of fame???

That's a good question.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
That's a good question.
Cecil Tugwell?

Bustamante?

Earl Shriver?

Junior Goff?

I don't know the legit answer to any of those... just names that come to mind.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Verified Member

i always like to nominate EARL HEISLER
he played out of the sports palace in new orleans
i was there in there early to mid 1970's but i think he was there from the 1960's to 1980's
im sure he was a road player in the 1950's
i first got hooked on onepocket watching him battle the road players
he played a guy named bugs who i never heard. of .....
being a college student and not into the underground of pooldom
it wasnt until the legend of the road series came out in billiard digest??
did the names of players i saw in my youth come out and explain their legendary status....if i only knew then that i witnessed a part of pool history
that will probably never be repeated,,,,
earl was the feature story of one of those
if anyone has a copy of the magazine with the story id be happy to pay for a copy of the article..
on page 274 of shots moves and strategies there is a picture of earl with the caption
"ONE OF THE VERY BEST ONEPOCKET PLAYERS OF ALL TIME"
in reality he may have been a ball or so below the very best ( im old and getting forgetfull but i think rod once told me that)
and when they cooked those boiled shrimp he was familiar with how the table played....
he gave action to the players that came thru
so i am formally nominating earl heisler perhaps not the very very best
but one whose name i would not like to see forgotten
if anyone played him or knew of him im always interested in stories
pm me or post
THANKS
Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Verified Member

LSJohn, is being a good sportsman part of the criteria for HOF. I don't remember ever playing Cecil and not having some sort of dispute with him. Not of my making either.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
LSJohn, is being a good sportsman part of the criteria for HOF.
I don't know whether there are firm standards, but I would think so. Maybe a guy's personality would automatically be reflected in the voting.

Quote:
I don't remember ever playing Cecil and not having some sort of dispute with him. Not of my making either.
I didn't know that about him. I happen to know someone who spent some time with him and has a high opinion of his game, but I don't recall anything ever coming up in our conversations about his personality, honor, character, manners, etc.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I don't know whether there are firm standards, but I would think so. Maybe a guy's personality would automatically be reflected in the voting.

I didn't know that about him. I happen to know someone who spent some time with him and has a high opinion of his game, but I don't recall anything ever coming up in our conversations about his personality, honor, character, manners, etc.
There is no question about his abilities. I played him many times before he had to start shooting left handed.
He never regained his full skills when he had to change hands to play. But I can tell you that he was an excellent player right handed. I continued playing him and put up with his antics because I normally came out ahead.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
i always like to nominate EARL HEISLER
he played out of the sports palace in new orleans
i was there in there early to mid 1970's but i think he was there from the 1960's to 1980's
im sure he was a road player in the 1950's
i first got hooked on onepocket watching him battle the road players
he played a guy named bugs who i never heard. of .....
being a college student and not into the underground of pooldom
it wasnt until the legend of the road series came out in billiard digest??
did the names of players i saw in my youth come out and explain their legendary status....if i only knew then that i witnessed a part of pool history
that will probably never be repeated,,,,
earl was the feature story of one of those
if anyone has a copy of the magazine with the story id be happy to pay for a copy of the article..
on page 274 of shots moves and strategies there is a picture of earl with the caption
"ONE OF THE VERY BEST ONEPOCKET PLAYERS OF ALL TIME"
in reality he may have been a ball or so below the very best ( im old and getting forgetfull but i think rod once told me that)
and when they cooked those boiled shrimp he was familiar with how the table played....
he gave action to the players that came thru
so i am formally nominating earl heisler perhaps not the very very best
but one whose name i would not like to see forgotten
if anyone played him or knew of him im always interested in stories
pm me or post
THANKS
Larry, Earl is certainly a worthy candidate for the HOF!..I managed to play him to a stand-off, a few times at his home court. (real tough action, given the conditions)..We played several times, and I did get the best of him in Baton Rouge, and a few other places..He was definitely a great player, and a gentleman to gamble with!
Old 12-20-2015, 02:43 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
There is no question about his abilities. I played him many times before he had to start shooting left handed.
He never regained his full skills when he had to change hands to play. But I can tell you that he was an excellent player right handed. I continued playing him and put up with his antics because I normally came out ahead.
I always got along with Cecil. However, I had a close call once. After I had busted Cecil and his backer Cecil hit me up for 40 dollars and a ride home.
Home ended up being a drug house down an alley at Florence and Normandie (where the LA riots started). As he was getting out of the car a gang appeared in the alley in front of the car. Cecil told me to back up and make a u-turn and not to stop for anything. I followed his advise and got to hell out of there. (I don't think I will ever be so dumb again).
Old 12-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Verified Member

To Cecil's credit after he had been busted up right handed and learned to play left-handed he had a challenge match with Efren Reyes at Hardtimes around 1994. JJ Jenkins had it on tape and showed me it once. I believe they were playing race to 3 and you had to win 4 sets for some good cash. Efren was up 2 sets and then Cecil won 4 sets in a row. He played flawlessly.

I asked Cecil about it once and he explained how there was always noise in his mind but every once in awhile he would be in "quiet time" where nothing else was going on and at those times he could achieve perfection. He said against Efren he hit one of those times.