Maximum "Tips" of Sidespin Before Miscueing?

• Less than 2 tips

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 2 tips

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 2.5 tips

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • 3 tips

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 3.5 tips

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 4 tips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 4 tips

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Most players describe an amount of sidespin as x number of "tips", but does everybody mean the same thing by it? How wide is the range of definitions among pool players?

Since we all miscue at about the same place on the cue ball (halfway to the edge or so), I think a quick and easy way to measure what we each mean by a "tip" is to say how many can be applied before miscueing.

Only one answer allowed, so if you think it depends on conditions or technique or something, please try to pick an "average".

Thanks for contributing.

pj
chgo

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I always figured "tip" to mean the width of my tip. So, 1 tip of English is 13mm away from center. With this definition, the miscue range is somewhere around 3 tips from center.

However, others may define "tip" differently.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Its not an easy answer for many reasons. Miscueing may occur using center by being careless, having a sway in your stroke, looking away at the last moment. What type of shot are you trying to accomplish? Jump? Curve? Most of us know the outside limits of the cue with any accuracy and beyond those limits maybe the shot needs to be shot in a different manner. :cool:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I always figured "tip" to mean the width of my tip. So, 1 tip of English is 13mm away from center. With this definition, the miscue range is somewhere around 3 tips from center.

WOW ! :eek:

Rod.

Even after Rods reply, I must confess that I always thought the same, SB.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I practice high speed center ball side to side....draw shots to test my limits of going one, two or three tips off center.... and a MUST DO with a new tip....I then ''get the feel'' for how low I can go. But as for a number, I just hit anything in front of me that's showing white ''properly'' :) without scooping.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
I can reliably leave a chalk mark spliting the edge of the stripe (vertical) on an object ball used as a cue ball. How many tips is that?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

39mm (3 x 13mm) = 1.5 inches. That's 3/8" past the edge of the ball - if you can hit that without miscueing your stroke is better than mine! :)

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I can reliably leave a chalk mark spliting the edge of the stripe (vertical) on an object ball used as a cue ball. How many tips is that?
That's the question, alright. The edge of the stripe is about halfway to the edge of the ball, which is the usual miscue limit. The outer edge of the circle around the number is also about half way to the edge of the ball.

There seems to be a growing consensus that the limit is 2.5-3 tips. This would make 1 tip = ~3/16" (1/3 of 9/16") from center (if we use the contact point to measure).

pj
chgo

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

39mm (3 x 13mm) = 1.5 inches. That's 3/8" past the edge of the ball - if you can hit that without miscueing your stroke is better than mine! :)

pj
chgo

:D:p:):lol:sorry
Rod.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
:D:p:):lol:sorry
Rod.

Hell, I don't know. We all know where it's at and we all have a different way of defining how much is being used, that much I do know. I personally have roughly three cueing placements: no English, Lil' bit (used for cuts to overcome throw) and fully loaded, spinning like a damn top on its vertical axis

Harass the other 9 guys lol!

Surely Dr. Dave has already investigated this most important topic...

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Hell, I don't know. We all know where it's at and we all have a different way of defining how much is being used, that much I do know. I personally have roughly three cueing placements: no English, Lil' bit (used for cuts to overcome throw) and fully loaded, spinning like a damn top on its vertical axis

Harass the other 9 guys lol!

Surely Dr. Dave has already investigated this most important topic...

It's just a good dose of analysis paralysis that's all.

And their ain't no cure :sorry