How good was Omaha Fats

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
In his prime....not being sarcastic. I'm in Naples and my friend wants to know, how good did Marty play in his youth?.... and was he from Nebraska ?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Freddie's "The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers" has a pretty good write-up of him. Says he was a $2-$5 cheap pool hustler that mostly played against youngsters and wouldn't play top players.

It also says he was funny and could almost keep up with Minnesota Fats throwing verbal abuse at you, but that M Fats was still the best at it.

Sounded like a real character for sure. I'll ask Marshall about him tonight.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
In his prime....not being sarcastic. I'm in Naples and my friend wants to know, how good did Marty play in his youth?.... and was he from Nebraska ?

I saw him play twice. He could play, but I have the impression -- thinking back to a time when I understood the game even less than I do now -- that he was a good shortstop until he got into one-handed action. Then he was tough!

I thought he was from KC, but I don't know.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I asked squirrel about him tonight, and he remembered him. Said he was a really funny guy and could make everyone laugh. Said he was a hustler for sure, but never saw him gamble high.

Love The Game

Omaha Fats

Omaha Fats

I played Omaha Fats - Martin Kaiman - several times in Denver when I was in college. The guy could talk! He could really get the action going because of his line of bs.

Played good but would not gamble with anyone near his skill level. His woofing was spectacular!

His life was pool action and he was a survivor! Fats was born in Omaha but lived in Denver for many years. His one handed play was world class btw!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I played Omaha Fats - Martin Kaiman - several times in Denver when I was in college. The guy could talk! He could really get the action going because of his line of bs.

Played good but would not gamble with anyone near his skill level. His woofing was spectacular!

His life was pool action and he was a survivor! Fats was born in Omaha but lived in Denver for many years. His one handed play was world class btw!

One of the times I saw him play was in Denver. Family Recreation or something... maybe on Colfax?

He had a kid willing to play him for $2/game, but he managed to cajole or browbeat the kid into playing for $5. He'd miss and say, "See, I can't make a ball." He was rolling the 9 every chance he got and winning about 3 games out of four. They were still playing when I left.

The other time I saw him play was at Empress Billiards in KC... in a basement on -- I think it was -- McGee. Sammy Roth's place that Al Wehrling later bought. (Had a 6x12). He was playing one-handed against a guy who could play a little two-handed.

Love The Game

Omaha Fats

Omaha Fats

StL Louie Louie Roberts came to Denver around 75/76. Danny was near his prime..Louie just ran out against Medina over and over!

..Danny never got a decent shot.

Louie's shotmaking ability was the best I've ever seen! Incredible skill. Terrible money management ��

Last edited: