14.1 drama

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am sure I am just late to this party but a buddy of mine asked me if I saw the video of the 14.1 match Strickland vs Shaw and he told me I should check it out.

I didn't watch the whole video but skimmed parts of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd9uTRmbmE

(around 8:05 is when it gets a little more heated)

So that brings me to a question. I know we don't have to call balls in one pocket (thank goodness, lol!) - but in a game like straight pool where you do have to and you shoot the right ball but call the wrong ball, is that a foul or do you go by what the guy was lining up to shoot? Or a 3rd option, does your opponent stop you and say "wait a second Earl, I think you are shooting at the wrong ball."?

I am sure this boils down to how friendly the game is, is it gambling or a tournament, are both players friends, etc, but I am curious on what your guys thoughts are on how this should be ruled.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
14.1 drama

Not sure, but I believe this happened twice in the same match (a player called a ball which was not the one shot). The first time it was ruled a foul and the second time it was not. That inconsistency seems odd. But I don't play 14.1 so I'm no expert.

TomRoden

Verified Member
by the book

by the book

You call the six, but shoot the three. The rules are clear "called ball". As for telling my opponent that he's about to foul?? Are you serious?? I'm there to win, not help my opponent. He should be paying more attention to what he's doing.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I am sure I am just late to this party but a buddy of mine asked me if I saw the video of the 14.1 match Strickland vs Shaw and he told me I should check it out.

I didn't watch the whole video but skimmed parts of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd9uTRmbmE

(around 8:05 is when it gets a little more heated)

So that brings me to a question. I know we don't have to call balls in one pocket (thank goodness, lol!) - but in a game like straight pool where you do have to and you shoot the right ball but call the wrong ball, is that a foul or do you go by what the guy was lining up to shoot? Or a 3rd option, does your opponent stop you and say "wait a second Earl, I think you are shooting at the wrong ball."?

I am sure this boils down to how friendly the game is, is it gambling or a tournament, are both players friends, etc, but I am curious on what your guys thoughts are on how this should be ruled.

Shaw didn't show much class IMO, I thought it should have just been left alone since it was quite obvious what Earl was shooting at... Perhaps Earl had done something previously to irritate Shaw... He does that sometimes with all that talk to the audience... Anyway, intent was the 10 ball, not the 2 ball, which was tucked away in the stack...

I think he should have just congratulated Earl and taken the loss like a man...JMO

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
they really should have had a ref since it was semi final i believe
jason and earl made asses of themsleves though

the most youll see out of billard players,top players in a REAL world cup event, a disagreement and not much else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu1dmE1Q1rA

fred even wanted to give marco the point just so things would not escliate

Last edited:

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
The first was not a foul.

The first was not a foul.

According to the rules as stated by those in the know, the gentleman call was not a foul earlier in a the match. Hence the call was correct at the end.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
According to the rules as stated by those in the know, the gentleman call was not a foul earlier in a the match. Hence the call was correct at the end.

I agree that the intent negates the incorrect number ball that was called. If there was no referee present then the opposing player now becomes the referee. If he was unsure what ball is being played he should have asked for a clarification.

I know that he called the two ball but after a bit of time passed he pointed to the ten before shooting.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Shaw didn't show much class IMO, I thought it should have just been left alone since it was quite obvious what Earl was shooting at... Perhaps Earl had done something previously to irritate Shaw... He does that sometimes with all that talk to the audience... Anyway, intent was the 10 ball, not the 2 ball, which was tucked away in the stack...

I think he should have just congratulated Earl and taken the loss like a man...JMO

come on Jeff, do you think Earl would do something upset to a fellow competitor?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I didn't watch the video. I've played lots of straight pool years back, both private and in tournaments. There was never a necessity to call obvious shots. Only when it's not clear which ball is going to be pocketed where, does the shooter really need to call it. I don't ever recall there being a challenge on that issue.

~Doc

Wayne

Verified Member
It was a little trickier situation. Earl had called the wrong ball on a combination earlier in the match (it was obvious which ball in the combination he was trying to make) but it was called a foul.

Now Earl calls the 2 but shoots the 10 which again is the obvious ball he was trying to make. Shaw calls foul (because it was earlier). Controversy but the ruling by the tournament director was that it was obvious and he could not hear the 2 called on the replay.

However, there was another video someone had recorded and you can clearly hear Earl call the 2.

I don't think the tournament director should have said anything about not being able to hear the 2 called because that gives the impression that it was a foul on Earl's part because he definitely called the 2 and Shaw was correct in calling it.

My think is the earlier combination should have not been called a foul because it was obvious. But because it was called then not calling it a foul again is very tricky.

I think it was correct to not call a foul on Earl, however, if it had been Shaw who did exactly the same thing Earl did at that point (call the 2 and shoot the 10) then Shaw would have been called for a foul (because of the earlier call on Earl) or else Earl would have gone ballistic (I believe).

So it is weird because at that point in the match it would not be a foul for Earl but would be a foul for Shaw.

Very tough call because it was not black and white.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You're right, of course, Wayne. It was a tricky situation. But IMO the fault lies with the referee and his calls. I didn't see the earlier bad call, but two wrongs don't make a right. It was obvious that Earl was shooting the 10 ball. He even pointed at the pocket.

Another aspect of the circumstance is that everyone (including the opponent and the referee) was aware of Earl's volatility. So that puts everyone on red alert, and causes anxiety. That may have influenced the call and the reactions.

On a gut level one could sympathize with the opponent. He was losing anyway, so he went ahead and flamed out with a ball scatter. Problem is, if he was still in the tournament, he could have been ejected at that point.

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
come on Jeff, do you think Earl would do something upset to a fellow competitor?

You're joking of course :). He has always talked to the audience and the commentators while playing... Rarely about anything anyone can understand, but almost always referring to his opponent or a shot made hours ago or something to belittle who ever he is playing... It's part of his DNA... This isn't, IMO a very classy way to conduct yourself, especially considering the caliber of player he happens to be... Some find it entertaining, others find it brash and irritating...

I didn't watch the match, and don't know what happened prior to the 2/10 ball incident... I just believe that it was Earls intention to pocket the 10 ball, regardless of what ball he actually called. Now if I were playing Earl, I would have just left it alone, because I would have seen which ball he was shooting at and known for a fact he was not trying to make the 2 ball, which he obviously called at some point in the process of shooting the 10 ball.

I am in total agreement with following the rules in whatever game is played, however, I believe in this particular case, the intent over rules the called ball..

I just like to play a game where skill is the primary reason a match is won or lost... Trying to win on a technicality, such as this clearly was, is IMO not acting in the better interests of the game...

I repeat, the best move would have been to just congratulate him, and move on...