What's a room to do? How a pool-hall will survive a pandemic! Video w/ Jerry Matchin

keoneyo

Verified Member
Well I got my place open and with the restrictions its tough but I figured out a way to make it work and hopefully satisify the county. It is my understanding LA County did not allow poolrooms to OFFICIALLY open. Hardtimes Bellflower is open as I understand it.
Good luck Jerry. Stay safe!

baby huey

Verified Member
During this interview with Daniel Busch, I mentioned that West Coast Pool Rooms would have difficulty surviving during this shutdown. Well, I just learned that the Broken Rack in Emeryville (East Bay) is closing down. It was a nice room that had been open for over twenty years. It was Billy Palmers home room I believe. Needless to say, it is painful to see these rooms being forced to close. If this keeps up much longer there will be very few rooms left open in Cali. Chris Swart, California Billiard Club, told me he is still not open with yet another round of closure restrictions. He is our flagship room out here and I hope he can hang on.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
During this interview with Daniel Busch, I mentioned that West Coast Pool Rooms would have difficulty surviving during this shutdown. Well, I just learned that the Broken Rack in Emeryville (East Bay) is closing down. It was a nice room that had been open for over twenty years. It was Billy Palmers home room I believe. Needless to say, it is painful to see these rooms being forced to close. If this keeps up much longer there will be very few rooms left open in Cali. Chris Swart, California Billiard Club, told me he is still not open with yet another round of closure restrictions. He is our flagship room out here and I hope he can hang on.
this room was trying to sell for the last year it is sad but not related to shut down as before the shutdown they where losing money due to insane rent

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
One pocket has been the main game played at the Rack for years, at least for everyone who didn't come there on a date or to a party. Bee Davison has been running a handicapped one pocket league out of there for 6 or 7 years, 3 seasons per year. Usually there are 16 players, but this past season we had 32. Mid-level talent with a few well above and a few well below the mean. Small action mostly, but lots of it. Somehow the handicapping system works pretty well. It will be a real drag if the league falls apart now. The word I hear is that the Rack will survive but half of the space will become a cannabis dispensary. I don't know whether the new owner cares about pool at all. Hoping.