One Pocket Story

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I used to play in the 9-ball tournaments at the Sands in Reno when they first started. There used to be quite a bit of action in the tournament room after the regular matches were over. Some kid that looked about 12 years old came up to me and asked if I wanted to play some one pocket. We ended up playing a race to 4 or 5 for $1,000. This kid had a southern drawl, and after we posted the $$ up on the light, he said "Y'all can bet more if you want to". At this point, I didn't want to bet more & we started to play. This kid banked like god off the end rail, and when I tried to slow the game down I found out he moved as good as me. In fact, he did everything better than me, and I only won a game or two in the set. The only good thing that happened was my good friend Dave Piona came up right before the match and stuck $500 in my pocket & said "I have half of this & don't argue with me about it". So I only lost $500. Hal Mix told me the kid was Shannon Daulton from Kentucky, and he was actually 17 or 18 years old and been playing and gambling since he was 10. I wonder how many players this baby faced kid took off before the word got out on him.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Ahhhhh,,,,the Cannon

Ahhhhh,,,,the Cannon

jrhendy said:
I used to play in the 9-ball tournaments at the Sands in Reno when they first started. There used to be quite a bit of action in the tournament room after the regular matches were over. Some kid that looked about 12 years old came up to me and asked if I wanted to play some one pocket. We ended up playing a race to 4 or 5 for $1,000. This kid had a southern drawl, and after we posted the $$ up on the light, he said "Y'all can bet more if you want to". At this point, I didn't want to bet more & we started to play. This kid banked like god off the end rail, and when I tried to slow the game down I found out he moved as good as me. In fact, he did everything better than me, and I only won a game or two in the set. The only good thing that happened was my good friend Dave Piona came up right before the match and stuck $500 in my pocket & said "I have half of this & don't argue with me about it". So I only lost $500. Hal Mix told me the kid was Shannon Daulton from Kentucky, and he was actually 17 or 18 years old and been playing and gambling since he was 10. I wonder how many players this baby faced kid took off before the word got out on him.
Great story, John. I was fortunate enough to not get "Taxed" the first time I ran into this young man. John Zaksas(sp) was/is the best white banker in Chicago. He and I were friends and I dropped by his, Red Shoes Billiards, one night. I find John, down with this baby faced blond kid playing banks. I walk over to the bar and sit down. The action table is closest to the bar. John eventually comes over and asks me who this kid is. I told him I hadn't a clue and ask him how he was playing the kid. He says he is giving the kid 8-6 for $200 a game and hasn't won but one game all night. John pulls up $1,600 or $1,800 loser and tells the kid he has to play even. The kid doesn't hesitate, he tells John to rack-um. Didn't take John long to pull up from that game either. Next thing the kid says is, "Play you some one pocket". John asked for something like 10-5. The kid laughed and walked out the door. He found out the next day it was Dalton.

I have allways heard how great Keith was when he was 15 or so. I didn't see him play until he was in his 20s. I have never seen a teenager play any better than Dalton did.

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
great stories...keep'em comin...

great stories...keep'em comin...

most of the one pocket stories I know have come from reading through eddie robin's "shots, moves, and strategies"...and this site...hell of a story...for those of you who've got'em, keep'em comin!

satman

Verified Member
Shannon

Shannon

The first time I saw Shannon play wasn't one pocket or banks. It was Richmond, Ky. at the Clyde Childress Memorial. We arrived late on Friday night and Shannon had just matched up with a guy getting the 8 on the big tables. The guy couldn't have won getting the 8. It was Shannon's 13th birthday. We watched him beat the guy at $50 then $100 a game and his dad was betting on the side I think 2-300 a game. The night before we got there, Shannon was walking around asking everyone to play. He asked Wade Crane for the 6 @ $30 a game and Wade accepted. After winning the flip, Shannon hits him with a 6 pack and Wade pulls up. Guess that was too much weight. Great tournament.

Oh yea Hemi, I played John Zaksas a long time ago. Only gambled with him once. He beat me out of a little bit. It was just cheap sets. Is he still playing? Sam

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
satman said:
The first time I saw Shannon play wasn't one pocket or banks. It was Richmond, Ky. at the Clyde Childress Memorial. We arrived late on Friday night and Shannon had just matched up with a guy getting the 8 on the big tables. The guy couldn't have won getting the 8. It was Shannon's 13th birthday. We watched him beat the guy at $50 then $100 a game and his dad was betting on the side I think 2-300 a game. The night before we got there, Shannon was walking around asking everyone to play. He asked Wade Crane for the 6 @ $30 a game and Wade accepted. After winning the flip, Shannon hits him with a 6 pack and Wade pulls up. Guess that was too much weight. Great tournament.

Oh yea Hemi, I played John Zaksas a long time ago. Only gambled with him once. He beat me out of a little bit. It was just cheap sets. Is he still playing? Sam
Go figure this, Sam. Our mutual friend tells me, just the other day, that Zaksas is playing as well, if not better than, he did years ago. He has allways kept himself in great shape. Little side note, John is probably the foremost wine connoisseur in the city. He spent many years traveling Europe and yes, hustling pool/snooker there.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
jrhendy said:
I wonder how many players this baby faced kid took off before the word got out on him.

JR,

Even when the word got out, Shannon still won.

It was either 1990 or 1991 that I saw Shannon in Lexington KY. There was a 1P and 9 ball tournament and Shannon came close to winning both. He must have been 16 or 17 at the very most. Shannon had just won big in Knoxiville (tournament and matching up) and repeated in Lexinton. In the tournament in Lexington (Joe Kerr production) all the big names were there, Bollman, Strickland, Miz, Howard, Rempe, Sigel, Hopkins, LeBron, Fusco, Gary Speath and tons of local KY/Ohio/Indiana talent.

Shannon had (I guess he still does) a thunderous break in 9 ball. I had been watching him because of that. And once commented loud enough for him to hear, "Why break so hard when all the balls end up in the kitchen?", he replied, "At least they have a chance to go into pockets along the way" Made sense for a 16 or 17 year old.

In one pocket, he was a great mix of 8 and out and a ghostly mover. Could move when necessary and a threat to get out from anywhere.

I heard a lot of stories about him gambling high as a 12 year old,when he was being backed by his dad. These were mostly pool room stories, that may sound good, but not worth repeating without any kind of collaboration.

If I recall correctly, during that time, I figured Shannon had won in tourney money and matching up, close to 30 large in the span of 3 weeks.

I also remember about 3 years ago at the DCC in Louisville, "after hours" in the tourney room, Shannon boasted that he will play any AMERICAN (thus excluding the Mexicans and Pinoys) for 10 large. Keith M. stepped up and wanted to play, and Keith's constant chatter got him a response from Shannon that left Keith on the floor and looking for the remains of his beer. Lots of things for Keith have changed since then, and for the better, I might add.

Last edited: