Johnny "Irish" Lineen

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Heres one I took of Blackie about 20 years ago. I have a couple when he was younger but I'll have to find them , still looking for Earl Heisler and Hayden Lingo , they are around here somewhere.

Attachments

• Scan0014.jpg
    Scan0014.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11

keoneyo

Verified Member
One Pocket Rich used to be called Connecticut Richie when he first came out to LA. I even have an old tape with him playing Efren in the early days when he played Efren 9/7 made by JJ Jenkins. Rich told me he grew up playing and learning from Vives and a bunch of old guys in New England who never shot at their hole but played the toughest safes. If you ever watched Rich's game you can see his safeties are incredible. They are not passive safes but aggressive ones where he locks you up and sends balls to his hole at the same time. Never makes the wrong shot and one of the most creative players. Rich just wanted to suck up everything those guys knew. If youve ever seen Rich play you would see a whole new perspective of a strategic game.
Sadly he has put the game on the back burner since he is supporting 3 kids at home now.

baby huey

Verified Member
One Pocket Rich is a force playing the game. On any give day he can beat anyone even up. I love his moving ability but sometimes he gets a little too upset with himself when things aren't going his way. On the other hand maybe that's part of his drive to be a good player.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Heres one I took of Blackie about 20 years ago. I have a couple when he was younger but I'll have to find them , still looking for Earl Heisler and Hayden Lingo , they are around here somewhere.
thanks for the pic billy
thats blackie from the sports palace

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This is a statement by Grady out of our history of OP under heading 'The Game':
" it is One Pocket began in Oklahoma in the 30’s, if I’m not mistaken. Hayden Lingo was the first great One Pocket player. He was followed by “Big Nose” Roberts, Glen “Eufaula Kid” Womack, Marshall “Squirrel” Carpenter, “Clem”, Ronnie Allen, “Jersey Red”, Eddie “The Knoxville Bear” Taylor, Johnny Vevis, and Johnny “Irish”.

Womack was said “to have kicked like a mule,” while Eddie Taylor rarely missed a bank and was, in fact, the undisputed bank pool champion of the world for many years. “Irish” was probably the best pool player that ever lived. He made a habit of beating very good players using a cue with no tip on it. I don’t think anyone ever beat Lingo playing even at One Pocket." Whitey

baby huey

Verified Member
I knew Blackie pretty well when he was in Los Angeles. Love that 50's Duckbill hairstyle of his. He must have traveled with tons of Pomade lol. His New York slipstroke could really bring some shots but sometimes that slipstroke would fail him in big tight matches. Other than Mosconi he had a great slipstroke. Maybe we could start a thread about the great strokes of all time? Here's a few great slipstrokes; Cole, Tall Jeff, Blackie and of course Mosconi.

unoperro

Verified Member
I knew Blackie pretty well when he was in Los Angeles. Love that 50's Duckbill hairstyle of his. He must have traveled with tons of Pomade lol. His New York slipstroke could really bring some shots but sometimes that slipstroke would fail him in big tight matches. Other than Mosconi he had a great slipstroke. Maybe we could start a thread about the great strokes of all time? Here's a few great slipstrokes; Cole, Tall Jeff, Blackie and of course Mosconi.
Jimmy Moore had a huge slip stroke😉

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
excuse my ignorance and not trying to derail the thread, but what exactly is a slip stroke? :)

Edit - wait, is it when you let go of the cue butt on your stroke so that it slips through your fingers?

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
excuse my ignorance and not trying to derail the thread, but what exactly is a slip stroke? :)

Edit - wait, is it when you let go of the cue butt on your stroke so that it slips through your fingers?
At the start of the back swing you let your hand slip (slide) backwards on the grip, then continue on with the back stroke before stroking forwards. It's usually done very quickly as a takeaway. I used one off and on for years, and it does seem to promote getting through the CB better. However it seems to hurt my accuracy.

One of the slowest slipstrokes I've seen was the great U.S. 3C player, Allen Gilbert (Gold).

baby huey

Verified Member
I forgot about Jimmy Moore's slip stroke. It might have been the longest slip I've ever seen. It could have been maybe a 10" slip. And Doc you are correct about Al Gold's slip as well. It was the slowest slip ever. With the new equipment of today, slipstrokes just aren't needed any more. I cannot think of a player today who uses one?