Got a bank pool game today - One good set, one bad set

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Played 2 sets of race to 3 banks today. Couldn't make a bank at all 1st set. Playing a guy that banks better then me consistently. He was hot, I was cold. Lost 3-0 and think I got to 1 in only one game, after my scratches:D

2nd set, I caught on fire and was making great shots, but only 1 and stop every time:eek: I think my opponent got a little cold after I starting making some very nice shots. I lost the 1st game, and then won 3 straight.

I love making these banks. I get a kick out of loading up the cueball and hitting the object ball so thin you almost miss it and let the english do all the work. This shot just slowly crept all the way over to the corner.

What's some of you guy's favorite difficult banks, that you seem to have a knack for?
[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CYFb3EUUu4IaDo1PPuF4daDo4dbit3dYOezc1kPuF4kWqg4kRUm3kawm1kFMh1kFMh1kbgH1kLKQzc1uCUM@[/cuetable]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I rotated a few One Pocket games with short rack banks tonight, too. Couldn't bank a ball it seemed. Well, I may have made a couple, but I swear I missed every "easy" cross side and cross corner I had. Tonight's the wrong night to ask me what banks I like -- I didn't like any of them!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Beverly Hills cop......

Beverly Hills cop......

double bank,long-long ,it reverses off the 2nd rail ans spins in backwards,forwards.The friend of Eddie bet a cat 100 he could do it.So he pots the 8- ball for the cheese.Not a hard shot with practice,start with no english for a couple hours.Another cool one is when the ball is close to the sidepocket tit angle.That shot can be slammed pretty hard to knock it into a corner pocket and the CB is at a 45 degree,Only thing I recommend is play full banks,cool,B,Hougue shoots a short angle beauty that is veery special against Brumback .Doesnt look like its going........

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I really dig the 4-rail 'round the world' shot. It looks pretty nice, has a good home-stretch curve to it and is pretty easy to make.

Another would be having a straight, long table shot a few inches off the side rail. Cut it a hair towards the rail side with some grabbing english.. both the cut and the english will give the OB enough spin to angle back to the pocket and barely avoid the CB.

And lastly, the side double-cross.. banking wide past the first side and having the rail spin pull it back inwards towards the second side.

But heaven forbid I get a damn open table shot to make, I'll probably dog it. :eek: :confused:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
Played 2 sets of race to 3 banks today. Couldn't make a bank at all 1st set. Playing a guy that banks better then me consistently. He was hot, I was cold. Lost 3-0 and think I got to 1 in only one game, after my scratches:D

2nd set, I caught on fire and was making great shots, but only 1 and stop every time:eek: I think my opponent got a little cold after I starting making some very nice shots. I lost the 1st game, and then won 3 straight.

I love making these banks. I get a kick out of loading up the cueball and hitting the object ball so thin you almost miss it and let the english do all the work. This shot just slowly crept all the way over to the corner.

What's some of you guy's favorite difficult banks, that you seem to have a knack for?
[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CYFb3EUUu4IaDo1PPuF4daDo4dbit3dYOezc1kPuF4kWqg4kRUm3kawm1kFMh1kFMh1kbgH1kLKQzc1uCUM@[/cuetable]
Greg,

I've only played banks a couple of times in the last 6-7 years but I've always loved the game. There's something special about the object ball hitting a rail before it goes in a pocket. Mosconi said that banks were for players that couldn't play position, I would tell him that 14.1 is for people who can't bank.

I used to play California John getting 13-8 back in the late 70's. I was being robbed but didn't know it and so I was happy:) . I played many "cousins" of Taxi Danny & Chubs who were brought up to play me. Taxi Danny brought Cecil up to Thunderbowl sometime in the 90's and I broke even with him playing 9-Ball banks. I even made the regrettable mistake of playing Cornbread a couple of times. You ain't seen nothing like Red hittin' a gear.

I would like to know if you were playing full-rack or short-rack banks when this shot came up? The score would be nice too, or was this just one shot from a game that you posted?

Banks is a strange game that requires strange people to play it well. It's a whole different mindset from any other game. If you play shapes and miss the shot then you set up your opponent, but if you don't take chances when behind then you will never win. It's a very difficult game to think out. Which shot to shoot & why, when several present. It's a game that cannot be played or taught "mistake-free".

Have fun and keep on hittin' them rails (unless you're playing one-pocket).

Dennis