2 on the spot

Shag_Fu

Verified Member
You know the situation. 2 balls on the spot, you have ball in hand. The match is fairly close, you are tied or up/down only one ball. What is you favorite way to play this conundrum?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Shag_Fu said:
You know the situation. 2 balls on the spot, you have ball in hand. The match is fairly close, you are tied or up/down only one ball. What is you favorite way to play this conundrum?
The traditional rule of thumb might be considered: If you need just one, play safe; if you need both, play the draw shot that places (or maybe makes) both balls near your hole (assuming you are comfortable with that shot).

mosconiac

Verified Member

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I have little confidence that I can make the offensive shot, and I wouldn't shoot it with a gun to my head, but I have a very reliable safe play. Place the cue ball just a few inches to my opponent's side of center and hit the front ball (gently) nearly in the face (more than a 3/4 hit) with just enough follow and speed to leave the cue ball on the end rail. Both spotted balls will rest on my side of the table, and out of the other guy's reach.;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
mosconiac said:
Does this remain the preferred safe?

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALW3BALn1PHVS3UALW3UaRW3VALn3VCjl2VKdd1kHNT4kBaJ4kMvj2uBvA@

I once saw a guy play this safe. I didn't try to replicate it so I can't comment on the difficulty (the CB may have started closer to the rail). He paced the CB to near frozen on the side rail & used the 1 to block any contact on the 2.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALW3BALn1PRJV3VALn3Varo3VJkp1kRJV4kCXg4kIWk1kbYa1kbhe@3AALW3BJsp1PbQd@
Yes, the first shot if far safer. The second shot leaves a relatively free bank on the one ball.

Doc